Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my pes 08 review

Options
  • 24-10-2007 9:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭

ok, got a good play at it last night, and me train was massively delayed so i took a half day rather than take an infringement so ill get a bit more play this morning, but heres the view so far:

first up the intro is lovely, in fact the best ive seen for a footie game

interface is much the same in that it looks pretty pants and basic, but thats the way the game has always been, so it has that bit of charm to it.

the game itself, right... first up its like pro evo soccer turbo edition. its stupidly fast. its like they finished the game and burnt the master disk at the wrong speed, and it plays a bit gack because of it.

next, the in game graphics, are f*cking awful. for those of you making the step up from the ps2, youll be happy enough, mainly because it looks like a ps2 game. the slowdown only happens very rarely, but grind-to-a-halt-down wouldve been a better way to describe it. its really bad like

the new commentary, is really bad too, despite some people calling it "the best ever". and i mean REALLY bad. like youre 2-0 up after 7 minutes and theyre saying i the 15th minute that unless the finishing improves the stalemate will never be broken and such other really really glaring errors. theres no consistancy to it at all, and it seems that the game just picks random comments to be thrown in the bare very little reference to the match being played. very very very poor continuity with it. yes its the best in the pro evo series, but is that really such a big acomplishment?

the gameplay itself, well, what was the last pro evo game you took out of the box and won your first 8 games on the bounce by 2 goals or more without conceding a goal? for me, its never happened before.

25 yarders? easy. if the ball gets through the crowd in the box, youve a 50/50 chance of it hitting the back of the net. the computer ai is very good at hassling you off the ball and crowding players out, but if you just play a simple passing game (no 1-2s required) youll split ANY team apart very easily. its also worth noting here that im rubbish at pro evo games, so for me to be playing on the regular setting and having this easy a time of it is a bit naff

strangely at this point, it seems to me that pro evo has turned into fifa, and fifa has turned into pro evo light. for anyone who had really high hopes for this game, prepare to be bitterly disappointed. for anyone who likes high scoring arcade style kickarounds, youll enjoy this

personally, ill not be getting the ps3 version now. the xbox one will do me, definitely wouldnt sacrifice €65 or 2 of my games for it on the ps3, especially when it seems to be a bit worse than the xbox version by most accounts

6/10, stick to pro evo 6

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

Have to agree with Helix, as much as I try to like it, I really can't. Poor effort and Konami shot themselves in the foot this year.

RIP PES

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

No PERSONAL disrespect to the reviewer but he DID admit that the difficulty he plays on is 'regular' and isn't very good at Pro Evo. Maybe he may be missing something.
    I'm scared nonetheless :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

well regular would be my starting point on every game

however, after 14 wins in a row (conceded my first goal in the 14th game just there, which i won 6-1) im thinking a higher difficulty beckons. lets be honest here tho, youve never been able to pick up a new pro evo and hammer teams like that before

im not missing anything at all, im just not very good at pro evo, doesnt mean i miss the nuances of play, it just means i get hammered by my mates all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think it's best to refrain from judgement until we see how it plays against other people. That's the key, playing against computers has never been the most important thing for this series :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

I bet the gameplay is still great, thats what I care most about.

its not a patch on pes6, or dare i say it, fifa 08 unfortuately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Helix wrote: »
    well regular would be my starting point on every game

however, after 14 wins in a row (conceded my first goal in the 14th game just there, which i won 6-1) im thinking a higher difficulty beckons. lets be honest here tho, youve never been able to pick up a new pro evo and hammer teams like that before

im not missing anything at all, im just not very good at pro evo, doesnt mean i miss the nuances of play, it just means i get hammered by my mates all the time

No offence but you should know that the game ai and formation has always been cack on any setting other than the top level, was it pro evo 5 that level three was harder to move the ball around than the 5 0r 6 stars as the AI players just ran towards the player all the time. Also if you are winning 6-1 then move up anyway.
    What is online like if you have it ?

Just saw in HMV the Xbox version playing alongside the PS2 version, man is their a difference graphically :eek:

For anyone thats saying its graphically not much better than PES6 id say that none of them over the years have moved on a great deal in one year but try playing pES4 after PES6 and you'l notice a sunstantial difference.

I know also the gameplay is also the main point but watching it being played without the licenses the jerseys dont look great!!!

Oh ya keepers look great BTW

bennyc wrote: »
    What is online like if you have it ?
    cant play online

• Advertisement

I like the Edit System on it. For the Xbox 360 its handy as you can use the camera to film sponcers and stick them on the kit. Also players faces and so on .

Online is just a lag fest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

lag online for the 360?? never suffered lag on the 360 for pro ev 6, surely not.

YES and yes there was lag and connection problems with the release of PES6 last year on the 360.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

thats pants, i got mine after christmas last year so only rarely suffered lag and nout compared to ps2 which is unplayable for at least one half in every game.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Vascular15

wow thats depressin but im gone to wait and see

tbh any die hard fan would always be playin on hardest lvl, so maybe this review does have that much cred, no offence

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Bull****. (and I really liked fifa 08)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

While PES 08 is not what I expected it to be, its much better than FIFA 08....I've had a couple of exciting games already - something FIFA has not given me in the three weeks I've been playing it now..

I don't understand why footie games seem to have been left in the last generation of gaming when it comes to graphics....I don't think I've seen one that has amazed me visually since the first FIFA on ps2.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

BrightEyes wrote: »
    No PERSONAL disrespect to the reviewer but he DID admit that the difficulty he plays on is 'regular' and isn't very good at Pro Evo. Maybe he may be missing something.
    I'm scared nonetheless :(

I don't think the difficulty setting will make to much of a change tbh.I usually play on it and then the odd game on the hardest, I notice a difference, but not a Huge 1(Pes06 that is)

Tusky wrote: »
    Bull****. (and I really liked fifa 08)

not really into the high scoring arcadey games too much like, theyre great for the odd game here and there, but i find they lack in longevity (like previous fifas did for example)

youve played pes08 i presume, and youre not just presuming that its better because of a brand name attached?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

not really into the high scoring arcadey games too much like, theyre great for the odd game here and there, but i find they lack in longevity (like previous fifas did for example)

youve played pes08 i presume, and youre not just presuming that its better because of a brand name attached?

Hmm - not sure what you're saying here. When you say high school arcadey games are you refering to Pro evo 08 ? Yeah I have played, I made a thread of my first impressions. I liked Fifa 08, thought it was miles better than Fifa has been for a long time. I played it non stop for two weeks. However, I know that this time next year I will still be playing pro evo 08 and Fifa will be long gone.

Heres a tip, stop playing on regular - its stupidly easy and thats why the games are high scoring. You know there are two are 6 difficulties in the game and you are currently playing on the 3rd lowest. (you have to unlock the 6th)

*** - youre playing here, not really fair to criticize it for being too easy.

yes i know that, but as i say im pants at pro evo games and never before have i been able to get results so fast

Helix your entitled to your opinion and its welcomed here but can you up the difficulty level and let us know how you get on.

Did PES6 have a 6th difficulty level? i never unlocked it if it did and i always play on 5 stars?

yup ill bang the difficulty up and give her a bash later

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭jackreacher

hi all,helix and willymuncher especialy
    where did ye get your copies already??????????

im down in kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

hi all,helix and willymuncher especialy
    where did ye get your copies already??????????

im down in kerry

Im sure he'd get a Torrent of abuse if he told you that.....

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

personally, ill not be getting the ps3 version now. the xbox one will do me, definitely wouldnt sacrifice €65 or 2 of my games for it on the ps3, especially when it seems to be a bit worse than the xbox version by most accounts

6/10, stick to pro evo 6

got a ps3 version to try out and the issue appears to be with SDTV's and the PS3 not supporting 60hz or something to that effect. on my HDTV it ran as well as the 360 version we have.

but yeah, as far as gameplay goes i'd say pro evo6 is a much better affair. if you want the next-gen, fifa's where it's at (..and i never thought i'd say that)

EDIT: ps3 version still stumbles around the place, moreso then the 360... this game is awful.

Advertisement