Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haha! Beat This!

Options
  • 24-10-2007 10:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

so i decided to take off all my overclocks there the last day cause i wasnt using my pc heavily. checked out the temps i was gettin...well....beat this (on air cooling) lol

8cLarge.jpg

loadLarge.jpg

8c idle, and 25c load....haha....ON AIR COOLING

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Try using core temp or TAT to read the temps. I don't trust speedfan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

haha core temp says the same thing, (why doesnt anyone trust speedfan?...it always concurs with all other programs for me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

because speedfan sometimes uses a tjunction of 85 instead of 100. Nice temps though. If i get under 60c im happy.

well core temp t-junction is 100, and its mimicing the temps of speedfan. same for the core temp of the grafix card and the rivatuner temp, and n-tune temp readouts, they all agree with eachother......:D

....sufficed to say its so cold i can see my breath outside, and i have my windows wide open...:D....but still, 8c!...and the fact that i always have my windows wide open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭unseen

too cold there! Here in greece the temp is ~18-20 these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

theres something screwy going on. Theres no way you could be getting those temps on air with a scythe ninja. 8c is way to low. Your ambient temp would have to be around 1c

L31mr0d wrote: »
    theres something screwy going on. Theres no way you could be getting those temps on air with a scythe ninja. 8c is way to low. Your ambient temp would have to be around 1c

well not necesarily L31mr0d, my hdd is at around 10c as u can see from speedfan (even if u take that with a large margin of error of 5c off, as room temp), my hdd is in an area with minimal airflow, my scythe on the otherhand has a large airflow going through it, which if u take into account the "wind chill factor" (i dnt know wat the air speed going thru is) but it can still go down by around 40% (and thats not really a statistic i pulled outta my ass....too much, wind chill can make a huge differance) ....years of hiking, have to learn this stuff

and UNSEEN, i like the cold, so i dont mind...its all good

i love how with the title "beat this" it draws all u lads like L31mr0d, anti, and unseen...lol, (NOT COMPETITIVE AT AAAAAAAAAALL):D:D:D

cpu core of 8c. On air. Thats pretty impossible to be honest. 8c would be considered cold to touch. Yet if you touch the baseplate of your hsf it will be quite warm. On water with a waterchiller setup you wont hit 8c. If you do the mathmatics, you have to shift 115w of heat per cycle to get the cpu at room temps. to to get it to 8 c you would be talking maybe about shifting a fair bit more. What i will do tonight, is take my pc out to the patio underclock and undervolt it to as far as possible and open the case wide open. Ill see if i can get it to a nice low temp....

I think your thermal readings are well off mate. Looks as if your motherboard might have faulty probes.

• Advertisement

I promise you, the readings are not inaccurate, the base tubes of copper on the hsf were COLD...not even luke warm, but cold. and the e6600 according to intel runs at " only 65 W, making Core 2 the lowest power consumption desktop chip currently on sale." its not at all unfeasible!,

....if u bring the "mathematics"...the thermodynamics, and the fluid mechanics into play, u would see it is indeed very possible :D (that ones for you anti:p)

i guarantee you that if you do that anti, you will be proved wrong, especcialy if you do it in the morning like when i took the readings

im not tryin to be big headed *cough* BIGCHROME *cough*, i have nothin but the utmost respect for ye!, the only reason i know wat i know is cause of you guys on boards, but that dont mean i aint gonna talk back!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Bigchrome

well not necesarily L31mr0d, my hdd is at around 10c as u can see from speedfan (even if u take that with a large margin of error of 5c off, as room temp), my hdd is in an area with minimal airflow, my scythe on the otherhand has a large airflow going through it, which if u take into account the "wind chill factor" (i dnt know wat the air speed going thru is) but it can still go down by around 40% (and thats not really a statistic i pulled outta my ass....too much, wind chill can make a huge differance) ....years of hiking, have to learn this stuff

and UNSEEN, i like the cold, so i dont mind...its all good

Windchill works with humans because of evaporative cooling.. and becuase the wind can penetrate our clothing. This doesn't happen with a metal CPU heatsink under normal conditions. I would be inclined to believe the 20C idle and 35C load it shows under cpu and this is about in line with what you would get at 2.4 with stock cooler at ~10c ambient.

Oh yes, and if anything the heatpipes being cold would signal that heat isn't being transferred very efficiently.

Regards,

"Bigheaded" Bigchrome

your right it is 65w. I was thinking of a b3 stepping Q6600. I dont not believe you. I just cant understand how the temps are so low. But fair play.

haha, go on bigchrome ya ledge! DEFIANT TO THE END!:D

UNFORTUNATLY, SO AM I, ur actually right there, doesnt affect machienery or metals, good to know! as far as i can tell cpu and hsf are making full contact, (when taken apart, u can see the thermal paste has been sticking to both surfaces fully. (thin layer of AS5))

i dont know wat else i can do to back up my claims, but im not lieing, so if theres somethin else i can do...(someother reading somewhere, from coretemp like, or sumthin) let me know, ill post up wat i can

and anti, do post up wat temps you get later on when its cold outside.

EDIT: ok, the wind chill factor when it comes to inanimate objects (like a hsf) wont allow the temp to go cooler than ambient, but will allow it to cool faster, gotcha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Your temp readings are off m8, no way you can get an idle temp on air lower than room temp. Post up your results when u try new core temp. I'd say speedfan's using 85' as your tjunction therefore your temps are showing 15' lower than they actually are, which is still impressive. I never trust speedfan.

No way a hd could idle @ 10' either. Not possible.

....sufficed to say its so cold i can see my breath outside, and i have my windows wide open...:D....but still, 8c!...and the fact that i always have my windows wide open.

who said it was cooler than ambient room temp?... i really dont get everyones disbelief when it comes to this.

anyway, im gonna post up screenies of that in a little while jasperok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

sound , will you post a picture of prime running with it too - so its obvious by screenshot that its been on load for 20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

lol lads he most likly just has a dodgy probe.

• Advertisement

Anti wrote: »
    because speedfan sometimes uses a tjunction of 85 instead of 100. Nice temps though. If i get under 60c im happy.

i forgot to mention Anti that Tjunction for my C2d should be 85c, its 100c for quads.... i know i then said that it was at 100, but i jus knew from a while back that the Tjunction was right (i didnt know wat it should be a while back) i couldnt remember wat it should be, but i knew watei had was right....so i smiled and nodded...

so ya, Tjunction should be 85

wats wrong with orthos now?....now i have to go get prime aswell, jays yer demanding :)

awhir, look at the temps of everythin else.... w likely is it that all those seperate sensors are fecked?

unnin dual prime now, ill get back tya in 20 mins

and run this to read the temp of your hd

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

Ok so what is your room temp, It would have to be below 8c, and if it is WTH? Do you keep your pc in a fridge?

i forgot to mention Anti that Tjunction for my C2d should be 85c, its 100c for quads.... i know i then said that it was at 100, but i jus knew from a while back that the Tjunction was right (i didnt know wat it should be a while back) i couldnt remember wat it should be, but i knew watei had was right....so i smiled and nodded...

so ya, Tjunction should be 85

wats wrong with orthos now?....now i have to go get prime aswell, jays yer demanding :)

awhir, look at the temps of everythin else.... w likely is it that all those seperate sensors are fecked?
    Orthos IS prime, just with a gui and it'll auto launch two thread for a dual core.

nibble wrote: »
    Ok so what is your room temp, It would have to be below 8c, and if it is WTH? Do you keep your pc in a fridge?

Exactly what i was sayin, no way you'd sit in a room thats 8'........therefore your cpu cant idle @ 8', just not possible on air. Actually the lowest temperature you can get is your case temp.

read em weep boys :D (granted theres a 2c difference)

only jus read the hdd temp thing now, but im headin out (shoudready be there, but hey, ill jus get this posted

8cpartii.jpg

load.jpg

Great, but what's your room temperature??

nibble wrote: »
    Great, but what's your room temperature??

-17c ?

• Advertisement

Believe me, those temps are not your real temperatures, there is something definitely wrong with your sensors. 10' idle is completely impossible on air cooling..............unless you live in Siberia with no heating.

Whats your room temperature btw? Your real core temp cannot be lower than your room temperature. Physically impossible as it blows that temperature air over your heatsink.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement