Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haha! Beat This!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Right, i pulled my cpu down to almost the bare minimum as this is getting stupidly unstable now. Especially as i have the fire lighting and no air flow to the pc. So here is a shot of the pc at 2.8ghz running everest stress test for 10:00 mins.

oj9y5cu6r4a9gzvr96tk.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

sorry dude i didnt see the orthos! coretemp/orthos al the one.

as said the numbers look nice but these are not the real temps of an air cooled system.

So either a: you know whats going on and just having some fun or b:dont even think about overclocking till your gettting reliable temps reported. have you tried flashing to the latest bios?

kind of interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

ya, i live in siberia.:D you got me! typical irish weather, wat can i say!

look lads, i said i could see my own breath it was so cold, so ya, it was prob 5c or summit in my room., i jus thought it would be a laugh to throw up a screeny of those temps seein as it was on a scythe!, jus the room temp i always sit in, (im a cold person seemingly)

guarantee you those temps are 100% legit,

anti, im actually REALLY surprised u didnt get lower than that with ur case out in this cold.

now, back to the wodka:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

ya, i live in siberia.:D you got me! typical irish weather, wat can i say!

look lads, i said i could see my own breath it was so cold, so ya, it was prob 5c or summit in my room., i jus thought it would be a laugh to throw up a screeny of those temps seein as it was on a scythe!, jus the room temp i always sit in, (im a cold person seemingly)

guarantee you those temps are 100% legit,

anti, im actually REALLY surprised u didnt get lower than that with ur case out in this cold.

now, back to the wodka:D
    who said it was cooler than ambient room temp?... i really dont get everyones disbelief when it comes to this.

anyway, im gonna post up screenies of that in a little while jasperok

:rolleyes:

ok, tbh, by "it" i meant the hsf....psh....how could you take 'actual room temp' as being cooler than ambient room temp....how does make sense?...ok, i slurred my vocab a little aswell, but i was at the "wodka", so u cant blame me! and maybe it does actually make sense, but you...cant blame me for that either!...(why am i on the internet now....why am i alone after a night out?....somethins not right................im goin ta bed, OUT)

• Advertisement

howz about a pat on the back....howz about a "well done seb"...howz about NOT kickin a guy in the ballz when he does somethin good....:confused::D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

howz about a pat on the back....howz about a "well done seb"...howz about NOT kickin a guy in the ballz when he does somethin good....:confused::D

hmm... in that first screeny you just posted above, your CPU is reading as being clocked at 1.6Ghz in CPU-Z??? Something very screwy is going on. Do have thermal throttling enabled? Do you have it set to thermal throttle at like 20'c?

era jabus never saw the 1.6Ghz.
    its like saying look guys if i push my car i dont use any petrol!

ah come on now guys, speedstep!...ring any bells?...intel feature that sets my multi to 6 instead of 9 when theres no cpu intense activuty, its a power saving feature, (ul also notice that the voltage is lower at idle than at load)

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

You still haven't said what the room temp is.

• Advertisement

it was prob 5c or summit in my room

eh....yes...yes i did

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

LOL 5c do you know how cold that is ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

ffs, your fridge is 5'C, get real man

wouldnt surprise me to be honest! sounds about right. maybe it aint 5c on the button, but evidently, its sumwhere below 8c, and 5c sounds like a realistic guess

ive said numberous times that it was really cold, windows open, i could see my own breath.... the fact is that i will sit in those temperatures in my room quite contently.

i know 8c is a very (as weve seen "unbelievably") low temp for a core to run at on air.... thats why i started this thread and named it "haha, beat this"...EMPHASIS ON THE "HAHA", i expected to give ppl a laugh outta this, instead im being forced to defend myself!

How can inside your house be colder than it is outside. Here. Not possible.

http://uk.weather.yahoo.com/EIXX/EIXX0026/index_c.html

(limerick) the lows are 6-8....

unless...maybe my room defies the laws of thermodynamics.....ooooooooooh:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭great unwashed

awhir wrote: »
    lol lads he most likly just has a dodgy probe.

maybe he has his probe out the window...

I fcukin give up :eek: (bangs his head against the wall).

Btw thats tomorrows weather u lookin at, todays low is 8'

OH MY GOD...AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!.....UR ALL INVITED DOWN TO MY PLACE TO CHECK IT OUT THEN!

seemingly ive achieved the impossible!, please bring scientists, physisists....bring the freekin guiness book of world records!!!:eek:

seriously, im havin a great laugh with this, i actually didnt think 8c was over the top impressive....maybe i can get even lower....:rolleyes:...(hmmm, a challenge to confluster all of ye even more....)

how low do i have to get it before im the result of a cuncussion PogMoThoin?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭great unwashed

did Torvalds get those low-energy processors up and running anyone know?

• Advertisement

Look, how fcukin stupid can you be, you got a broken sensor or sumthin but 8' is not the temp of your chip cooled on air thats a few degrees higher. No need for physicists or scientists. Every1 here has tried to tell you that, but you keep making a gob$hite of yourself saying that its a real value.
    Its very common for Intel chip sensors to give the wrong reading. Was hundreds of threads bout it when the c2d was released. This is whats happening in your case.
    To keep your cpu at 8' idle there would be icicles on the heatsink. If you put a temp probe on your heatsink it would be 5-10' hotter then the sensor inside your chip.......................and your saying you got your cpu colder than the temperature of the air outside :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    How can inside your house be colder than it is outside. Here. Not possible.

i think it is possible in halls and stuff for it be colder inside than outside cause i play basketball and if we leave the hall unheated fro a couple of days and then play it has been colder but don't hold me to that.

And deffo broken sensor had the same thing on my last board it told me i had my processor at 1 degree but it was fooked so RMA'd it. It bounced up to 15 on orthos for 24 hours but was kinda worried as to what was the real temp. And anyways at the google server farms where they use chill tunnels(around 4-5 degrees) you still get the processors idleling at around 30, at least the temps will give you the confidence to overclock the crap out of your cpu:D

ya dont have to get so aggresive about it! take it easy

seriously, dont read this if youre jus gonna fire back insults!

"8' is not the temp of your chip cooled on air thats a few degrees higher"

"your saying you got your cpu colder than the temperature of the air outside"

ive already said a few times, the air temp was obviously quite lower than the core temp. whether the forcast said maximum low was 8c is NOT 100% accurate, it could have been considerably lower in certain areas.

i dont believe my sensors are off at all; reason being ive relied on them since the start and they allways served me well. for instance @3400mhz at load (---at 21c room temp---) reads 59c. which is pretty on the ball, and im sure ul agree with that.

also, with all the intel power saving and heat options enabled, there is no strain on the cpu at all, its not really generating heat. if i strap the cooler onto a piece of inanimate metal at room temp of 5c, it will give the piece of metal a temp of 5c, the cpu is basically 'inanimate' at idle with these options enabled, why cant it be kept at 8c then???

requiem1 wrote: »
    i think it is possible in halls and stuff for it be colder inside than outside cause i play basketball and if we leave the hall unheated fro a couple of days and then play it has been colder but don't hold me to that.

And anyways at the google server farms where they use chill tunnels(around 4-5 degrees) you still get the processors idleling at around 30, at least the temps will give you the confidence to overclock the crap out of your cpu:D

point A helps me out, Point B doesnt

but from the temp forum ( http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055107177 ) ppl are generally getting around the mid 30s for idle at around 30-40% overclocks, (and i asume room temp of 21) so that doesnt make sense either then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

yes.... And to need to disable it in the bios. Then run the test again.

Anti wrote: »
    yes.... And to need to disable it in the bios. Then run the test again.

you want me to disable all power saving features (which are default and therefore normal settings) and run everything all over again?...wats the point?...we know it will go higher. when i took aff all the overclocks, the point was to save power and heat output. thats how the low temp was attainable

i dont mean to be rude, but thats jus gonna take alot of time for a predictable and unneccesary result

no offence dude but what is the point in the thread then?
    beat what? 8 degrees? if you are going to throw down the old gauntlet off course people are gonna ask what the setup/specs/scenario was.
    i mean basicly you are saying to everyone to enable all power saving options and see how low they can air cool their cpu NOW THAT would take alot of time for a predictable and uneccesary reult!
    and we;d need broken temp sensors to compete! :)

if i strap the cooler onto a piece of inanimate metal at room temp of 5c, it will give the piece of metal a temp of 5c, the cpu is basically 'inanimate' at idle with these options enabled, why cant it be kept at 8c then???

:rolleyes: Wrong, your cpu is made of silicon (air tight) which is touching a piece of nickel coated copper, which is pasted to a base of copper with heatpipes attached and a fan is located higher up these heatpipes. If the room temp is 5', the silicon will never be 5' as long as any voltage is going through it as heat has to transfer thru several different materials with differing thermal properties and will always be a few degrees hotter. The heat caused by the voltage passing thru the silicon has to go somewhere.
    Explain why i get a 3' difference in temps on my setup when i use cool labs liquid instead of arctic silver. Every material has a thermal conductivity measurement.

Btw, my cpu idles @ room temperature when i turn it off :p

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    If the room temp is 5', the silicon will never be 5' as long as any voltage is going through it as heat has to transfer thru several different materials with differing thermal properties

:rolleyes: again, i didnt say that!, i said room temp @5, and idle temp @8, therefore, there is evidently heat loss! does it sound believable if i say air@21 and idle@24?

"no offence dude but what is the point in the thread then?"

yes the title did seem to throw down a gauntlet, i agree. but i threw up the screen shot for a laugh, BECAUSE it jus happened to be so low

"and anti, i think i can actually give u temps now (although not with screenshots), theyre under the stickied temps forum under (sebastianlieken) [THESE TEMPS WERE TAKEN AT 'NORMAL' ROOM TEMPERATURE (21c +/-1)...yes, same person (check out the know ur nerds photo, and my bebo page for comparison pics if u dont beliece me:))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Ok... to put this to bed you need to do one thing. Something a lot of overclockers do to prove their temps and overclocks (well you'll be only proving temps in your case)

Open up core temp and CPU-Z and take a screenshot then position a temperature probe inside your PC or on the CPU and have your desktop screen in the background. If you can prove an ambient temp of 5'c with your run of the mill temperature probe inside your room then we won't be able to argue with it. I'd even accept one of those wall mounted thermometers just positioned beside your PC showing a temperature below 10'c.

EDIT: Some example photos from Unseens thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055147740

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement