Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Series Thread

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

RuggieBear wrote: »
    Last inning i remember was the third.....fell asleep:o
    Schilling got better as the innings went by, Okie and Pap were great. Rockies were unimpressive and Halliday was a fool letting Pap pick him off at 1st by a country mile.

This review was brought to you by the wonderful properties of coffee :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

Good stuff from the Sox.
    I'd love to see them win it in Fenway instead of a 4 game sweep.
    The 2004 series was such an anticlimax after the comeback against the yankees.
    I was living in Canada that year and it was amazing how many people got behind them to break the curse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,890 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Got to see the game here tonight. Delayed coverage but I made a point of not knowing the score so it was ok. Not a great game but the Sox did just enough and we quite impressive closing it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Well this had being a rather good inning for the red sox, 6-0!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

And the sox take it in a sweep. 4-0 Lester gets the final win after coming back from cancer last year. Carlsberg dont do fairy tales...............

Lowell picks up MVP as well.

Looks like the team peaked right at the correct time, Franconas world series record is now 8-0 :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

RedorDead wrote: »
    Looks like the team peaked right at the correct time, Franconas world series record is now 8-0 :eek:

He should retire now and stroll into the hall of fame...:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Bit of a dull World Series...I only watched the condensed games but Id've thought Ellsbury was deserving of the MVP. Next year, Blue Jays FTW!

OMG its the top story on RTE.ie sport!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

I wouldn't say it was a dull World Series overall. It had some excellent moments and tension right up to the end. You could see the tension on Papelbons face as he was in the last inning. Even though they were 3 - 0 up in the series, he treated it as if his life depended on it. Superb moment for Papelbon, a guy of 27 years old with nerves of steel. Even when it was over it took him time to actually let it sink in.

There were a number of players that were definitely in the running for the MVP. Ellsbury had a fine world series, as did Beckett, Youklis & Schilling. But, I am absolutely delighted for Mike Lowell picking up a well deserved MVP award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

shapez wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it was a dull World Series overall. It had some excellent moments and tension right up to the end.

Well, maybe for Sox fans, but to the impartial observer it was a cakewalk where the Colorado offence never got going and their pitching had some crucial meltdowns. Of course the Red Sox guys were tense until the end. If you can't stay focused right to the end after 162 games + the post-season you shouldnt be there.
    Compared with the likes of 2001 & 2002 it doesn't rate highly at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

the manner in which the red sox being 3-1 down in the ACLS then to go 7-0 to to WS title was amazing.

i agree that to the neutral it was dull but there were some amazing highlights

I could watch Josh Beckett Pitch all day.
    Lugo made some good defensive plays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

Well, there it is. Quite ant-climactical but a win is a win.

Some great plays and players.

However, I can only comment on games 1 and 2 as I was away for the weekend in an area that didnt have broadband on my wireless so tried to watch the scores on dialup....forget it :(:mad:. Will catch up over the next couple of days. Only downside was that it would be nice to see the WS won at Fenway....but heah....m not complaining.

Go Sox! :D

Advertisement