Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed line/broadband line quality issue

Options
  • 24-10-2007 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

I've posed a similar query to this on the DIY/Gardening forum but I figure
    there may be more telecoms savvy folks on this forum:

We moved into our new house about 5-6 weeks ago now and we have found that our land line has a lot of background pop/crackle/hum which is in the "distance" as such but noticeable against the continuous dial tone and as a backdrop to incoming/received and outgoing calls. I reported this to Eircom and they did a brief test yesterday which came back as no noise recorded and a more detailed one today where they once again said they could not determine there to be any line noise. They advised me that if I proceed with a further more detailed check (involving a visit from Eircom personnel) that they will probably charge a 57Euro callout.

Has anyone else had this experience and found the root cause of such line noise. I've eliminated most things I can think of within the house, eg. used
    two separate handsets, used only the connection nearest where the line comes into the house. Also we had a 12 hour ESB outage recently where we had no mains coming into the house and I checked the phone then and still heard the same line noise so I'm pretty sure it is not electrical interference due to mains wires within the house or appliances interfering with the telecoms wiring. The only other factor I can think of is that we have run cat5e cable throughout the house (currently unterminated) and it all arrives into a single room. Could this be acting as some kind of unshielded antenna which amplifies noise ? .. only a thought ...

Finally - we have broadband (1MB home starter/eircom). I'm using all the correct filters and I've swapped in and out other filters just to eliminate a faulty microfilter. One thing I find with the broadband is that the router/modem often connects at a low eg < 384kbps rate and if I randomly
    restart the router it can connect at a much higher rate. I'm guessing that
    the poor line quality is providing the DSL/handshake with a pessimistic
    view of the data rates available.

--ipl

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

To avoid the callout charge , disconnect every socket bar the main socket supplied by eircom themselves .

If the noise is still there make sure yer man hears it .

If not its your fault all along for dodgy internal wiring .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭tonton-bob

We moved into our new house about 5-6 weeks ago now and we have found that our land line has a lot of background pop/crackle/hum which is in the "distance" as such but noticeable against the continuous dial tone and as a backdrop to incoming/received and outgoing calls.

We used to have the same problem ( random crackles and some drops of the call ) and so did our neighbours ( we were on the same carrier line ).

Check if you're on a carrier line.

Well you pay 25€ a month for "nothing" ...
    It took 3 technician visits to get a "dedicated" line ( a spare one ) which fixed the problem ( and seems to have allowed us to get broadband ).

I don't understand how they can charge 57€ to send a technician when you pay the highest line rental in Europe ...

Advertisement