Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rye bread question, re yeast

• 24-10-2007 10:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭

I'm trying to minimise yeast in my diet. I'm not going to be completely
    strict since I know a lot of things will have some yeast residue (eg,
    even fruit juices)...

I've stopped eating white/refined bread. I know that soda bread probably
    is yeast free. However, how about rye bread .. the German/central
    european variety which is moist and tangy (such as the type which can
    be bought in Aldi). Would that be yeast free too. I will check the label/
    ingredients when I get home (as I've purchased some). Anyone know if
    that type of rye bread (dark brown) would be relatively yeast free ?

-ipl

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

The one that's very dense and solid is yeast free I think. But the loaf kind you find in the Eastern European shops is made with yeast. AFAIK :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

that rye bread in Aldi is fantastic value! 60c or something. If you bought it in a health food shop (organic) rye bread which is identical would cost about €3.

Yay to Aldi! The rye bread in Lidl has wheat and additives in it so its not as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I've stopped eating white/refined bread.

Make sure you check the ingredients. Ingredients are listed in order of greatest % first. Many brown or wholemeal breads will contain wheat flour, which is usually just white flour. Even mc-cambridges has wheat flour in it. On some "brown breads" there is more wheat flour than wholemeal flour.

But you can tell the amounts due to the order listed. e.g. the other day I got some tesco "stay fresh" wholemeal bread. On the ingredients I saw wheatflour listed, I was about to put it back until I noticed the ingredients that came before this. One of them was salt. Then if you check the nutritional values you can see the salt content is very low, and therefore the wheatflour content would be even lower.

I expect the factory was breeding/growing its yeast using wheatflour, then adding the same yeast to all breads, so technically the brown bread did contain wheatflour, yet in minute amounts.

If bread is not using yeast I would not expect any in the ingredients, but it is possible there could be trace amounts and it could be listed as such- e.g. a factory using the same tins to bake in. Like how peanuts are listed in many products- though it is trace amounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 TScul

any rye breads I've ever made contained yeast

Advertisement