Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MH importers in cork??

• 24-10-2007 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

Does anyone know of any importers in Cork (or possibly Kerry)??

I've seen mention of Paddy White and Pat Butler in Waterford, but as I live in West Cork, its a long old spin to have a look at what they might have.... also work takes me across cork and kerry, but no other counties..

I'm trying to find some "friendly importer" who is bringing vans in as a hobby, or who will source and bring over a van dependent upon my requirements..

Around €13k
    5berth (self, wife, 3 children 10,8,5)
    fiat chassis 2.5D pref TD
    prefer PAS

Something similar to this (but less money!)- I like the idea of the additional table/single bed at the rear ... http://www.carrollandmcauley.ie/UsedCars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=749470

Thanks

Chris

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I don't know of anyone in Cork (I'm from the NW) so can't help you there, sorry.

There is one minor problem though with the kind of camper you have picked out.
    Most campers from the early nineties on the Ducato chassis would not meet the three ton unladen requirement, so they'd all be subject to VRT.

Unfortunately the high priced example that you showed in your link is what the VRT people base their evaluation on, so you can expect your VRT to be in the region of 13.5% of 18 k = roughly 2.5 k.

For an importer to sell you a camper at 13k and to make a bit of profit, they'd need to buy at max 9k.

Buying at that price even in Germany carries a high risk of getting a heap with loads of problems. "Cheap" motorhomes are sought after in Germany, mostly by foreign buyers for export, and under the 'magical' 10k mark there is an awful lot of overpriced rubbish about.

With your budget (which is quite similar to what mine was when I went and bought a motorhome, so I've been there and learned my lesson) I would suggest that you set your aims a bit higher and go for a bigger motorhome that will meet the three ton mark.

In the early nineties that would mostly be something on an Iveco chassis or a big VW LT (LT 45) or a Mercedes 410.

The way to spot them is that they all have twin rear wheels. You'd still have to make absolutely sure that they are over the three tons, but most would be.

Whether you go over yourself or have someone doing it for you, that way your chances of getting something decent for your money (and 13 k still is a lot of money!) should be better.

Examples

1 )

2 ) if you can live with the paintjob :D

3 ) this one is actually too small for you

You would need a C / C1 licence for all of those, though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭chrisblack

Thanks for the reply - I do have C/C1 on my licence although its a UK one, never converted (something I've not got round to doing) - As I have C/C1 & D on my licence should it be a straightforward swap?? - I used to drive minuibuses for community organisations in the UK occasionally and had passed my MIDAS cert..

Going back to the van - The link I posted - there is a mechanic locally who is selling the same van for around €14k.. still not German prices, but I could try and get some ammo to get him drop his price...

Chris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You don't need to swap your licence, its perfectly legal to drive around on a EU licence.

As for negotiating ...it's worth a try.

Now, at the end of the 'season' you might actually get lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭madharry

if you contact pat butler she will advise u as to what she will bring u in for your budget i can give u her number u p.m. me.To be honest i do not think she will get you much for your budget.but do contact her.I bought my camper privatly there is definaltly good deals to got privatly if you spend a bit of time looking and contact people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭chrisblack

Thanks Harry - Good Advice - I'm certainly doing a lot of asking around and contacting people... and it is paying off.

I'll give Pat a try and see how I get on.

Chris

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭madharry

There is also a website www.motorcaravanclub.net if you click on the for sale link you might find something interesting and within your budget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

My Dad is based near Macroom and imports camper vans. Whether or not he would have anything in your price range, I do not know. If you want to get in touch with him, PM me and I'll send you his contact details.

Advertisement