Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Kitten and Old Cat.......

Options
  • 24-10-2007 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭

Last Friday night we rescued a little 8 week old kitten who had fallen down a crack. She was obviously a feral cat but was quite friendly when we brought her in. However the problem is we already have a cat who is about a year and a half who has been with us for 11 months. He was also a stray to begin with.

Problem is since she came home, the old cat was at first amused by this little thing but now attacks her and pins her to the ground. He is constantly nervous except when we have her in the cat box to go to sleep.

Anybody have tips to help a new kitten and an old cat get along??? :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Hi Sillymoo.
    I had the same problem last week when I was minding my friends 7 week old kitten. My 14 month cat who is normally so good and a real gentle pet was not a bit pleased. Although at first he was just sniffing her, any time I turned my back I could see him going for a sly bite. Eventually, anytime I left the room he was pinning her down but I think it was just to show her who was boss as she didn't seem to be hurt. He did seem to lose interest in the kitten after a few days and I'd say they would have ended up pals eventually! Probably best to keep them in seperate rooms if your not home but let them spend time together when you are there just keeping an eye on them. Definitely try not to punish the older cat as they will associate that with the kitten and dislike it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Thanks Lubie, really at my wits end at this stage and nice to know others have the same problem! I dont think he is hurting her as he does not have his claws out when he attacks her but he does bite her. I guess I will just have to sit it out and hope they become pals. He has been neutered and she has not been spayed so I hope that does not have something to do with it :)

Advertisement