Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Chihuahua's naturally quiet dogs?

Options
  • 24-10-2007 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭

Just wondering the above. My sister lives in a large apartment complex and is planning on getting one. However, if it barks a lot, her neighbours will not be too pleased!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The quick and simple answer is, no, not normally :D

They can be fairly yappy.

They also tend to be fairly watchful and will bark at other noises.

Of course, like with everyhing, there are exceptions to the rule and I'm sure that in about five minutes someone will post who has a perfectly quiet Chi at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

As above, I know they can be trained to be docile but if they are kept in an apartment with 1 or 2 humans all day everyday with the exception of 2/3hours walking per week they will be come very protective.

Without the proper socialization they will attack dogs/children that seem to pose a threat.
    *attack in the sense of "yip, yip, yip, bite, yip, yip"*

I would go as far as saying from my experience they are more aggressive than most of the dogs on the high risk list.

But of course - again, as above - someone will be on here in a few mins to say how amazing there chi chi is and how harmless he/she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

If you're looking for a suitable dog for an apartment, Greyhounds are naturally very quiet dogs and can be kept in an apartment with regular walks twice a day. They're very docile and placid and like nothing more than to curl up on a sofa, they make great pets. And are a lot 'smaller' personality wise than they look!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

Glowing wrote: »
    If you're looking for a suitable dog for an apartment, Greyhounds are naturally very quiet dogs and can be kept in an apartment with regular walks twice a day. They're very docile and placid and like nothing more than to curl up on a sofa, they make great pets. And are a lot 'smaller' personality wise than they look!

I second Glowing. My Greyhounds rarely barked unless it was feeding time, or they saw a cat. They do very well in an apartment since it is usually quite a bit larger than the 4'X3' crate at the tracks, and usually considerably warmer and cleaner.

I have rarely met a Chihuahua that I would call quiet. And when left alone in an apt, the ones I have experienced were highly prone to alert and bark.

WYK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Sabra

Just wondering the above. My sister lives in a large apartment complex and is planning on getting one. However, if it barks a lot, her neighbours will not be too pleased!

I don't know of any dog that is 'naturally' quiet anymore than I know of any child who is 'naturally' well behaved.

Chi's have a reputation for being yappy as many small dogs do but I know just as many large dogs who bark constantly (like my next door neighbors boxers). However, I believe it's the fault of their owners in not socializing them and/or leaving them alone for too many hours.

I have never understood why people get dogs when they only have 2 hours or so a day to spend with them due to work and social obligations. Dogs are social animals. They *need* companionship. If they don't get it, they'll resort to all sorts of misbehavior...including barking.

Socialization is very important. The best advice I was given was to treat my little chi like a big dog. In other words, don't talk to it like a baby and don't cart it around like one either. Teach him/her to sit, heel and come on command. Walk him on a leash. The side benefit to this is that the owner and pet are spending quality time with each other.

Having a dog is like having a 2 year old for 12-14 years. They demand attention and will misbehave when they're ignored and neglected. Eventually, these misbehaviors become bad habits which usually lands them in a pound or rescue center (if they're lucky).

Oh and I have a chi who rarely barks. Is not at all agressive towards others and loves to snuggle. I believe it's due to being socialized from the time he was born, which we continue to do on a regular basis, as well as teaching and requiring good manners.

• Advertisement
Advertisement