Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changes to the Driver Licencing System Mega Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

From RTE News:
    However, A Garda spokesman has said that gardaí will enforce any new legislation that comes into effect regarding provisional driving licence holders.

The spokesman said gardaí would not be using their discretion on a case-by-case basis in relation to provisional drivers and would enforce the law as normal when it comes into effect next week.

Great...so the government say one thing....then backtrack when they realise the balls up they have made and then the Gardai say we are going to do it anyway. I REALLY HATE this country sometimes. Run by a ****ing bunch of muppets!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭EoC

Hello All,

Let's do something about it. I've created a petition on the following link.

Simple idea to let people who are angered by this to voice their opinion
    http://www.gopetition.com/online/14927.html

Please try it out and let me know if it works. I've never done anything like this before so lets see how it goes..

EoC

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ludo wrote: »
    From RTE News:
    However, A Garda spokesman has said that gardaí will enforce any new legislation that comes into effect regarding provisional driving licence holders.

So they are going to do what they have barely done in the past :rolleyes:
    The spokesman said gardaí would not be using their discretion on a case-by-case basis in relation to provisional drivers and would enforce the law as normal when it comes into effect next week.

As our Garda poster quiet intelligently stated a bit of common sense in using discretion would go a long way.
    Great...so the government say one thing....then backtrack when they realise the balls up they have made and then the Gardai say we are going to do it anyway. I REALLY HATE this country sometimes. Run by a ****ing bunch of muppets!

You are being very unfair on the muppets, they were better value for money and at least you knew whose hand ws up their asses.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

Its the same age old story with the Irish people.
    Great to crib but very reluctant to get up off their arse and actually do something about it.
    Actions speak louder than words.

We had our chance to do something about it last May........ I did my bit but.......
    It's not that I'm saying the alternative would have been better but you certainly have to give FF their credit for being able to take people's eye off the ball at the appropriate time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭parliament

Talk about being ridiculously petty and childish....you know full well that thats not what i meant

Maybe when you first passed your test you were but time changes that!
    Ongoing testing is the way to go not making it harder for people to get on the road or take the test. Stopping people from practising is only going to make people worse drivers in the long run

Calm down there, it's not childish, a lot of inexperienced young drivers would view a person as being a better driver based on technically less flawed and while this is important for driving on public roads it is just as important to be able to see ahead, gauge a possible accident and avoid it. Inexperienced (learner drivers and recently obtained full license holders) may not have this experience.

I did not know in what way you meant it and if you could point out from you post the key that would have shown this to me feel free to enlighten me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Philthy

Does anyone else feel like it was introduced this quickly to frighten people and get as many as possible to apply for the driving test? I applied this morning first thing before the site went down. According to the RSA, waiting times are down(no, they're still rubbish) and we should be prepared. Well, I've paid my money and I may or may not be ready to take the test. I have no choice but to apply and hope I get it before the Gardai stop taking their "common sense approach" I heard so much about at lunchtime

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

For all the people saying whats your excuse for not applying for a test sooner, how about because the way the system was run there was no real incentive for passing a driving test, and whose fault is that? The governments. They have done fcuk all about this for the last 40 YEARS or so and expect to change it in 4 days screwing over hundreds of thousands of people who have become complacent because of the government. Most people would probably agree with the measures but its they way its being handled that’s a complete mess. Noel Dempsey must be one of the worst ministers in history, poor broadband, e-voting, shannon-heathrow and now this. A well deserved pay rise yesterday eh…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Anthony_1980

what about oaps who cant drive to save there lives ?????????????

i say we organise a big rally against the rsa

i mean i travel 70 miles to work andhome each day and if i was to get bus it be 3 hours to work let alone home

****ing joke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

requiem1 Quote:they also want people to have a min of 20(it might be 10 or 30) certified driving lessons. My instructor told me about it a couple of weeks ago when his school got contacted about this. At €40 a lesson i think we might see fewer people on the roads.
    IMO,this should be mandatory and it will make people better drivers. I have my full licence but I failed the test twice. On the third time, I forked out for 10 pretests and I got the test. It also made me a better driver as the instructor pointed out lots of faults.

This is standard practice on the continent and I think it is a much better system than having some young joe or joesphine getting a couple of lessons of their dad and then hopping into a car and driving it completely oblivious to the rules of the road.

BTW, I'm against the manner in which this law is being brought in but I would doubt very much that it is law as surely the existing laws would have to be amended to include the new rules and fines and this would take at least a couple of months to go through the houses and be signed by the president.

Finally, I think this is another cause of the completely spineless FF crew (that people keep voting back in! Why, I just don't know) being afraid to stand up to the Vinitiners (sp?) Association and bring in a zero tolerance on drinking if driving. The publicans would be up in arms as its coming up to the Christmas party season and their profits would nose dive if their customers couldn't drink and drive.

daveirl wrote: »

I did not admit I was an incompetant driver. I am a very safe and cautious driver as I already stated.

I meant it in a general sense. Some of the people now on the waiting list will be unprepared. Many people will try it to get "experience" for their "real" test. The system is already struggling. Why overload it unnecessarily?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Anthony_1980

my tester last yer 2 days before xmas was hungover reaked of beer and bet he just had a bad head and said " **** it im gonna fail everybody today cause im working "

i cant wait to see this being slated

and on another note

wtf is bertie getting an increase of €38000 a year for ????

HE GETS ENOUGH BACK HANDERS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 RRoger

Someone above quoted about waiting time for tests, but these shouldn't matter, as you can not sit your test till you've atleast held your learner liecence for a min of 6 months. Anyone who thinks that you can learn to drive in under 6 months is mistaken....
    I disagree
    the driving test is to proove that you are cabable to drive alone (not that you are a great driver)

In most of countries you'll be capable of driving alone, including motorways, after a month. In ie. Poland, it is enough to have 30 hours of driving with an instructor to sit the test and get the full clean driving license.
    Then you go on the roads and your driving adventure begins.

In here you may have 6 months, or few years of everyday driving alone, what equals milion times more than 30 hours of driving, and what, you're STILL not good enough to drive on your own??
    Driving is a lifetime skill and you learn something every day but you don't really need this much time to drive without a person sitting next to you and giving up his/her life just to accompany you for a year so "you can learn" . This is actually ridiculous because it's impossible to do so unless you hire someone to sit next to you every day to work and back home for say, a tener per hour, x20 days a month = 400 quid extra to your gas bill...

They should have put more resources to the driving centres so they can hire 20x more instructors and be capable to deal with enormous requisition for driving tests, and not spent more money for more cops on the road stopping people who have to wait years to sit the bloody test..

I'm happpy with the latest news of delaying, no wonder this will greatly reduce 300.000 ppl whom never bothered to apply to do so and dramatically increase waiting time from average 48 weeks to 480....hurray!

no :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

yeah man the waiting list just goes down infront of my own eyes when i vent some anger. Also angry driving helps everyone pass the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

they can go scr*w themselves with the limiters, what happens when people qualify, they go crazy cause they can get power over something similar to a 1 litre, aswell, what if its the fanily car, i dont like this at all....

Take your head out of the clouds, if there’s no deterrent its going to happen, just like file sharing, people know its wrong but there’s no deterrent so it happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

The only solution to this is for every driver (including full) in Ireland to buy L plates, put them on their car and let mob rule win.

Is their a law that stops full drivers having L plates?

Thanks Daveirl. I'm unsure as to how you were worried in the first place. In case you hadn't noticed, I had asked a direct question. I did not invite a personal attack on my driving abilities.

Will it affect those operating under the 12/08/85 rule?
    What is this rule?

That's the end of that idea then!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

alan4cult wrote: »
    The only solution to this is for every driver (including full) in Ireland to buy L plates, put them on their car and let mob rule win.

Is their a law that stops full drivers having L plates?

Why would we do that? I'm pretty sure the majority of full licenced drivers will welcome the move, alebit the situation isn't by any means ideal, but they have been threatening to do this for some time now. I warned 2 mates about this over 6 months ago they done the test, failed, drove home and never bothered to re-apply, now there in a panic and there's no one to blame but themselves

Interestingly enough i rang the RSA and pretended i drive a massey and it can only seat one person, they said i'd have to get it adapted, i said sure i'm a big man and i wouldn't fit a chiild in beside me, they didn't have much solutions

I fully agree with the current plan but introduced over a period of time to allow people to apply and sit the test. The wait is still 40 weeks in some places. Although they are saying the guards will use a common sense approach now so I guess that’s a form of compromise. As someone said in another thread the timing of this was very convenient considering the amount of attention its deflecting from Bertie and co’s pay rise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

IMO,this should be mandatory and it will make people better drivers. I have my full licence but I failed the test twice. On the third time, I forked out for 10 pretests and I got the test. It also made me a better driver as the instructor pointed out lots of faults.

I had 2 lessons, and one pre-test and passed with a perfect score. Not everyone needs such a massive amount of tuition, making it mandatory will just add ~1000 euro a driver into the hands of instructors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ok let me get this straight, there are 400,000 odd people on provisional license of some sort or other but only 120,000 on wiating list for test? Right.
    So now if the remaining 280,000 odd apply for tests the already long wiating lists will double or triple.

Yeah that's great :rolleyes:

And what about the ones that have actually applied for tests or failed tests previously, lets say they failed their first test or the test was cancelled due to weather as happened to me (it was home time at 5 pm and it was pi**ing rain, what a f***ing surprise Mayo and it rains).
    The biggest impact for some of these people is that they cannot now go to work.

And please we don't all live beside a DORT or effing Luas so for most parts of this country public transport is non existent.

Would it not make more sense to hire and train contract driving testers.
    Fire the asses of the current lazy shower of encumbents if they don't agree and play ball.
    Also start and create standards for all driving schools/instructors and start minimum driver education beofre test.
    Then after the waiting lists were brought down they could come up with all the silly law they want.

It is all just another example of knee jerk reactions and half assed policies.

Jeeze who came up with this plan, Stan and Eddie ?

I am not allowed discuss …

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement