Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changes to the Driver Licencing System Mega Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Angelcake

hate this new rule and of all weeks to inforce it they had to do it during mid term. I live in the middle of nowhere and I just got a car I'm on my second provisional. I will have to see how well it is policed around here. i'm annoyed about the amout time given too it was just landed on us, now the little bit of independence is snatched away my son and I will be house bound again for the wek.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭RuailleBuaille

If I had a fully licensed driver to sit in the car with me at all times, I wouldn't bloody need to drive, I'd have a chauffer. It's a load of bo[[ox.
    Also, my sister got a provisional at 18 for id purposes only, never drove a car once. Now she's 25, just got her second provisional, has done 6 lessons but is allowed to drive alone? Again. load of bo[[ox. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Why would we do that? I'm pretty sure the majority of full licenced drivers will welcome the move, alebit the situation isn't by any means ideal, but they have been threatening to do this for some time now. I warned 2 mates about this over 6 months ago they done the test, failed, drove home and never bothered to re-apply, now there in a panic and there's no one to blame but themselves

Interestingly enough i rang the RSA and pretended i drive a massey and it can only seat one person, they said i'd have to get it adapted, i said sure i'm a big man and i wouldn't fit a chiild in beside me, they didn't have much solutions
    Most of my friends are on the "Provisional Licence" and they have all applied for test so I'm protesting more at the fact that it is being introduced too soon. It should be introduced after everybody who has applied from the test before to day is allowed to sit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

alan4cult wrote: »
    The only solution to this is for every driver (including full) in Ireland to buy L plates, put them on their car and let mob rule win.

What makes you think we'd all want to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Angelcake wrote:
    I will be house bound again for the wek.

Oh for god sake, they've taken your car, not your legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

If I had a fully licensed driver to sit in the car with me at all times, I wouldn't bloody need to drive, I'd have a chauffer. It's a load of bo[[ox.
    Also, my sister got a provisional at 18 for id purposes only, never drove a car once. Now she's 25, just got her second provisional, has done 6 lessons but is allowed to drive alone? Again. load of bo[[ox. :mad:

These new rules change that, she's not allowed to drive alone anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Angelcake

Stark wrote: »
    Oh for god sake, they've taken your car, not your legs.

I said I live in the middle of nowhere where am I going to walk to? How can I take my child out during the mid term am I going to walk for three or four hours to get to a town with something in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 HoJOs

jmayo wrote: »
    Ok let me get this straight, there are 400,000 odd people on provisional license of some sort or other but only 120,000 on wiating list for test? Right.
    So now if the remaining 280,000 odd apply for tests the already long wiating lists will double or triple.

Yeah that's great :rolleyes:

And what about the ones that have actually applied for tests or failed tests previously, lets say they failed their first test or the test was cancelled due to weather as happened to me (it was home time at 5 pm and it was pi**ing rain, what a f***ing surprise Mayo and it rains).
    The biggest impact for some of these people is that they cannot now go to work.

And please we don't all live beside a DORT or effing Luas so for most parts of this country public transport is non existent.

Would it not make more sense to hire and train contract driving testers.
    Fire the asses of the current lazy shower of encumbents if they don't agree and play ball.
    Also start and create standards for all driving schools/instructors and start minimum driver education beofre test.
    Then after the waiting lists were brought down they could come up with all the silly law they want.

It is all just another example of knee jerk reactions and half assed policies.

Jeeze who came up with this plan, Stan and Eddie ?

Yeah, im pretty sure this was steve stauntons last act before the departure:D
    but, really tho, this is pretty much gonna be unworkable, its a total racket with all the garbage talk of compulsory driving lessons (you can be sure a plethora of government run lesson centres will appear from nowhere with that) and, as you say, where does that leave the provo licence holders of ppl living in remote areas with no public transport, walk??? run???? who knows, if it wasnt all over the news i wuda thought this was a big joke by now, totally unworkable and hints of slightly commi intent, why not go after the thousands of mail in licences from years and years ago?? huh?? im sure they are all fantastic drivers, or o.a.p's?? clearly the most dangerous drivers around, nope, always pick on the provo holders, i dont know the stats, but i can almost guarantee that the majority of accidents and deaths are not caused by provo licence holders or surely this would have been a factor in their reasoning for these radical new enforcements :eek: just another racket, rake it in bertie, rake it in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

haven't they post poned the rules against second provisionals?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I Believe 2nd Provisional Licence holders will be OK until Feburary

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Spoke to the RSA there, its still going ahead but no prosecutions.

Carry on as normal as far as I can see.

They say that all the rules will not be enforced strictly just yet.

Business as usual come Tuesday for all you driver noobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

I dont even have a car - I drive a bike, but the slating that fully licensed drivers are giving the provo's is just unfair.

You all know how long the waiting times are - afaik, isnt it almost a year in galway?

So thats almost 18 months that you'll have a car, and not being allowed to drive it. Its easy to agree with a law when it doesnt affect you, though :rolleyes:

Thankfully, they cant really enforce provo bike drivers to have a fully licensed driver sitting on the back at all times ;) ..makes me glad I didnt get a car to begin with, I'd have a 45min-1hr walk to and from work every day. I can see an increase in the amount of bikes being on the road over the next 12 months..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Most insurance companies wont even insure a provo on anything bigger than a 1.4litre(petrol) or about 1.9 diesel.

Limiters on cars is a scary thought when it comes to overtaking - its bad enough when small cars go to overtake me, I'd often see them veering in and out until they see a huge open road - and I usually have to slow down to leave them past in order to avoid an accident.

I can understand bike's being limited to 33bhp (I dont agree with it, but I understand ;) ), but there are some cars that wouldnt even move at around 70bhp. Just how do they plan on limiting them? BHP wouldnt work at all, and top speed restrictors can be..well, hard to prove, without actually taking the car away, giving it to a mechanic, and waiting for the thumbs up.

And its not as though they can enforce all cars to be factory restricted - the majority of the cars in the country would be off the road. And mechanic's restrictors have a habit of...well, falling out :)

It'll never work, I wouldnt worry about it.

daveirl wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I tihnk the main issue for learners is the 5 days notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Since most people learn on their family cars, I think a lot of people will be disenfranchised when this eventually comes in. I can tell you what my dad would say if I wanted to put one on the car. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I was just about to get a car, can't really see the point now, I've been insured on my dad's car for the past year. That insurance is up next week so I was gonna go it on my own. I've been driving a year, I waited 44 weeks for a test date in Raheny and got it for last month and it didn't suit, I had to cancel and now I'm at the back of the queue waiting another 43 (according to drivingtest.ie)

I suppose I'll just forget about a car and get re-insured on my dad's car again. Back to driving around with him til about July or so.

I'm on my second, I never drove during my first. And I did drive accompanied for a good few months until I felt confident. So it was all very legal for all you nitpickers.

To all those saying get 20/30 lessons, I got 3 and my instructor told me I was grand and to go and drive with my dad, it would be the best practice. And he ran his own driving school so he must have meant that or he'd only be losing business for himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Just wondering why must the full license holder have the licence for 2 years before accompanying a provisional driver? Is it to do with experience?

Just wondering why must the full license holder have the licence for 2 years before accompanying a provisional driver? Is it to do with experience?

Probably to prove your competent ,but the reaility is you could get lucky in your test and not drive for a single second for those 2 years.

Migh make more sense leaving it at 12months or so, i couldn't see a guard booking someone if they had a passanger with a full licence of 22 months.

But thwen again who knows, this is media fodder and they need to appear tro be actually enforcing it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

it just said on rte news that gardai will not inforce it for 2 -3 months, though its the actual gards choice so hopefully you wont meet a wanker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭maxi-twist

I wouldnt mind seeing some statistics in this regard. Anyone got any links to numbers of accidents caused by provisional licenced drivers compared to fully licenced drivers? Id like to see where this "saving of 400 lives is coming from".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

I only just failed my driving test and now it could be up to another 10 months before I do it again its a pain :( And I just bought a new car that I wont be able to drive until I past my test..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

inode wrote: »
    it just said on rte news that gardai will not inforce it for 2 -3 months, though its the actual gards choice so hopefully you wont meet a wanker

The Guards may not get you, but wait until you have an accident and see how the insurance companies react to the fact that you were driving illegally, and see how your cover is affected.

I do sympathise - I am not getting at anyone, but I do know of a case where an insurance company told a driver that they were covered in a certain case - and then went back on it when it was found to be illegal.

~Marky~ wrote: »
    I only just failed my driving test and now it could be up to another 10 months before I do it again its a pain :( And I just bought a new car that I wont be able to drive until I past my test..

I Failed my test and now i have to wait 10 months!!!..... Hang on a second this is the very reason that the government has brought in these laws. You failed your test & your still on the roads. If you fail you don't deserve to be on the road, simple as that.

Nice one, a danger to me and other road users and pedestrians alike.

Such a farce. Too many me feiners, Its all Me, Myself and I.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rgunning

As someone on a provisional, it come as no surprise that I oppose this.

I would have no problem if I could do a driving test within a week though. I've been screwed around by the driving test department for nigh on 8 months now, with them setting a date on a day I have marked as unable to do. I was suppose to ring them today, but surprise surprise - the phone lines were down all day and the website crashed.

I am going to break the law and hope to be caught. I want this to go further, and to go to court. I agree with the Gardai saying that they are not going to selectively enforce the law. If it is against the law, arrest me officer.

This would be like making having kidney failure illegal in the morning and saying to the people on the transplant waiting list - sorry, you're off to jail if I catch you in the morning!

If the DoTaM are serious about this - how about free travel passes for everyone who is on a provisional and is waiting for a test if they want to go this way? Maybe introduce a driving program in schools? How about more testing centres?

This is a pretty chickens**t way out of this. I don't see it coming to pass anyway. Dempsey is a sleevin, a real toad. He climbed down on plenty of thing before like the 3rd level fees as he is terrified of voters. A greaseball such as him will no doubt try to weasel his way out of this in front of the voters. However, now he has put himself in between the cops who don't want to half-enforce it, the RSA who want it in but don't want to sort out the mess it leaves and the 400,000 people, who it p*sses off. And remember, if you take it that there is 4 seats in his constituency (I think), that is roughly 10,000 annoyed voters who now hate him in his own constituency. Even he would see that this amounts to political suicide.

ps - just saw this - look up Noel Dempsey in Wiki. Brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Spades

Confused:confused:, i have a f/L. Are people on the second P/L allowed to drive alone. very mixed messages on the news. BTW I dont agree with the amount of notice they gave for all these new regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

no doubt these rules will take affect along with increased buses, trains and luases for those who cant't drive anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Cionád wrote: »
    I tihnk the main issue for learners is the 5 days notice.

Does that apply to the large number of clowns that had no intention of applying for the test and - when taking a breather from whining on boards - have now suddenly remembered to sign up for the test?

Anybody who has been driving around on a PL, and has just decided to apply today deserves a temporary ban, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Hydromonkey

I have my test next week, if I pass do I have to go through this 'R' plate bollocks?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement