Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changes to the Driver Licencing System Mega Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 stewarpm

I had put in for a test date before this hoo-ha and now it looks like I'm going to be put to the back of the queue to make room for 2nd provisional drivers. I'm on my first and don't see how it is fair to prioritise them. We are both, de facto, in the same position. We all drive unaccompanied and want tests to regularise our statuses.

Also, what situation am I left in. The news says that there is a postponement of the rules for 2nd provs. It seems to me that the same applies to 1st, 3rd and so on but they just can't say that as it is technically prohibited under legislation already, just not enforced.

This is such a cock up. They've had years to sort this out properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

stewarpm wrote:
    I had put in for a test date before this hoo-ha and now it looks like I'm going to be put to the back of the queue to make room for 2nd provisional drivers. I'm on my first and don't see how it is fair to prioritise them. We are both, de facto, in the same position. We all drive unaccompanied and want tests to regularise our statuses.

Are you sure they're bumping second provisional holders up the queue? I remember them saying it was a priority to get them all through the system, but I think they're doing this by increasing the overall number of tests completed per week rather than giving specific priority to 2nd provisional holders. You're right in that it would be grossly unfair of them to do so.
    stewarpm wrote:
    Also, what situation am I left in. The news says that there is a postponement of the rules for 2nd provs. It seems to me that the same applies to 1st, 3rd and so on but they just can't say that as it is technically prohibited under legislation already, just not enforced.

That's the impression I'm getting anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 1978

I applied for my test on saturday and I got asked this morning if I was available for a test tomorrow!!

I am waiting on my 3rd provo so technicallly I couldnt do it. I had a letter send in from a garda and my employer, so mabe that was the trick!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

1978 wrote: »
    I applied for my test on saturday and I got asked this morning if I was available for a test tomorrow!!

I am waiting on my 3rd provo so technicallly I couldnt do it. I had a letter send in from a garda and my employer, so mabe that was the trick!

what branch ?

am i right in saying that only a 2ND provisional licensee holder can drive unaccompanied, not a 1st, 3rd, 4th..... etc

It's always been against the law for someone on 1st, 3rd, 4th etc. license to drive unaccompanied. There's nothing for them to "rollback" in those cases. The question is whether the Gardaí will be out in force enforcing this, asking for licenses at checkpoints etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

stewarpm wrote: »
    I'm on my first and don't see how it is fair to prioritise them. We are both, de facto, in the same position. We all drive unaccompanied and want tests to regularise our statuses.
    No. You are not both in the same position. People on 2nd provisionals, due to an idiotic rule are legally allowed to drive on their own. You are breaking the law. I have little sympathy for anyone on a 2nd provisional that has not passed a test but I can see that there is great potential for hardship. I don't know if they will prioritise test for 2nd provisional holders but I can understand why they would do it and would, to a certain extent support it.
    It is not "technically" prohibited, it is prohibited. You have never been allowed to drive on your own, you simply choose to as it makes your life easier. The government are under no obligation whatsoever to oblige your illegal activity.
    This is such a cock up. They've had years to sort this out properly.
    And now they are trying to.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 22 JayWasTaken

I'm currently on the last legs of my 1st provisional and it is up on the 1st of December which as far as i know is the same date in which the permit come into effect.

what i would like to know is if i renew my provisional licence before December would i receive a 2nd provisional and be able to drive for the following 6 months of would i get a useless fecking permit. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'm currently on the last legs of my 1st provisional and it is up on the 1st of December which as far as i know is the same date in which the permit come into effect
    The Learner Permit system came in yesterday!

Anyway, the deferral of the accompanied rule for 2nd provisional licence holders only applies to those who were issued the 2nd provisional licence prior to the 30th October 2007.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

boopolo wrote: »
    The only mistake I feel they made was to set it for this week in the first place. They should have given more than a few days notice first time round.
    But then we'd be complaining about Bertie and the Minister getting a 14% pay rise. Also they are at the start of their term of office so there is nothing the electorate can do for the next few years.

DjeInSlanchaLan
    In Canada the find doubles for every 10Kmph you go over the limit.
    In Finland it's 2 weeks wages or so. Here it used to be £50 and was rarely detered people who could easily afford it.
    Perhaps a fine of 1 days wages doubling every 10Kmph for those on PAYE and to make it interesting let The Revenue / CAB get involved if they suspect someone is fibbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Perhaps a fine of 1 days wages doubling every 10Kmph for those on PAYE and to make it interesting let The Revenue / CAB get involved if they suspect someone is fibbing.
    A one/two/three day driving ban would also be very effective (but difficult to enforce I suppose).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A one/two/three day driving ban would also be very effective (but difficult to enforce I suppose).
    it would be one/two/four/eight... ;)

enforcement would be difficult unless they linked it into the privatised speed cameras

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Someone posted in a thread recently that s/he got a date in Cork in December having applied in February. That's 10 bloody months! I foolishly waited til June to apply because my driving instructor at the time told me that I shouldn't apply before I was ready (I wasn't ready in June, but I finally copped on that I would be waiting a very long time).

This is all very depressing. I risked driving on the first day but I was still worried so I got the bus to college yesterday (an hour and a half compared to 20 minutes in the car) but I saw plenty of L drivers around and I doubt every single one of them was on their 2nd provisional. I don't know if I want to risk it or not. Even my parents are telling me I should but it's not their pocket the €1000 fine will be coming out of!

They've started outsourcing tests in Cork to SGS now. They weren't doing that earlier in the year. So hopefully the waiting lists in Cork should be coming down a good bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Re: 2,400 people charged were with driving unaccompanied this year.

I wonder how many were JUST (or primarily) charged with that though... I mean, I know people who have been stopped for speeding and ended up with about 10 different charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The Gardai will often include a 'driving unaccompanied' and/or 'No display of L-plates' charge when charging a driver for dangerous driving/speeding. It would be interesting to see how many of those 2,400 people were done solely for 'driving unaccompanied'

dudara wrote: »
    The Gardai will often include a 'driving unaccompanied' and/or 'No display of L-plates' charge when charging a driver for dangerous driving/speeding. It would be interesting to see how many of those 2,400 people were done solely for 'driving unaccompanied'
    Indeed it would (and that is what I was trying to say in my above post!).

I suspect that it wouldn't be very many at all - I've never heard of it happen myself anyway. Prehaps one of our Gardai posters can throw their tuppence in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I'd say it would be interesting to see. Because (before now) I've been stopped for tax/insurance checks, they've seen the L plates - seen I'm on my own - never asked for license or said anything.

Although before now - there wasn't a whole lot they could do - except if you were driving like a tool & they added it to the list.
    But now they can do something - I wonder if they are...
    (I've not taken the chance so far!)

Test on tues - talk about pressure needed to pass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭dollydrops

I am risking driving on my first provisional licence. I applied for my test 6 weeks ago for the Tallaght centre and according to the RSA website there is a 26 week waiting time.
    I put L plates up on Monday but I took them down yesterday. I was going to be coming from town last night and I was afraid of drawing attention to myself.

Has anyone been stopped for driving unaccompanied yet?

dollydrops wrote:
    I put L plates up on Monday but I took them down yesterday.

You do realise if you're stopped at a checkpoint and they ask to see your license, you'll be fined €2,000? €1,000 for driving unaccompanied and €1,000 for driving without L-plates. You might get a nice Garda who lets you off for driving unaccompanied if you cry "I need it because it's raining and I like cars more than umbrellas" or something, but I doubt you could come up with an excuse for not having the plates up.

I'm betting that if the Gardaí bother to enforce the rules, that it will be in the form of checkpoints rather than pulling people displaying L-plates. The latter would be effectively be sending out the message: "Break another law by taking down your plates and we'll leave you alone". Also, it's not illegal in the RoI for people with full licenses to drive with plates up (you often see this with shared cars), so they'd be spending a lot of time pulling people needlessly. Far less efficient than just checking licenses during the usual tax/insurance checks.

PS: I haven't heard of anyone being stopped so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭dollydrops

I might put them back up so.
    I really do need to drive. I live in Lucan and work in Ballymount. There is no direct form of public transport on this route.

I think I will get a letter off my boss and send it into the RSA see if it hurrys up the test a bit. I'll probably end up failing the test I am a bag of nerves under any kind of pressure!

• Advertisement

dollydrops wrote: »
    I think I will get a letter off my boss and send it into the RSA see if it hurrys up the test a bit.
    At this stage I'd say you need a letter from your boss if you want to stay in the "normal" queue.

No-letter people, see yas on the road circa 2010

People with letters go into the "cancellation queue". This means when someone rings up and cancels on short notice, their spot goes to someone with a letter who have to be prepared to do a test at short notice. They only get to skip ahead if someone cancels, no such thing as stealing places from people in the normal queue (who get about 4 weeks notice of a test).

Stark wrote: »
    People with letters go into the "cancellation queue". This means when someone rings up and cancels on short notice, their spot goes to someone with a letter who have to be prepared to do a test at short notice. They only get to skip ahead if someone cancels, no such thing as stealing places from people in the normal queue (who get about 4 weeks notice of a test).

yikes! about how much notice do letter-from-boss-people get do you know?
    I'm waiting for a test in Raheny. Should I do my pretest prep and mock now then do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

RYR154 wrote: »
    I’m totally amazed at the amount of people on these forums on such a high moral ground with there full driving license under there belt. Probably the same people that get right up the a*se of L drivers with a big red head because they are not going fast enough.

They must be the same people that where born with a steering wheel in there hand and a full license in there nappy.

I wounder if they would have the same opinion if they had a provisional license. Some how I don’t think so!!!

I’m not surprised with the comments on this form from the full license drivers. Typical Irish approach to everything. I’m alright jack so don’t come looking for my support.

The simple fact is, the government created this problem and they are kicking L drivers in the teeth now they want to clean it up. This has nothing to do with saving lives. If they really wanted to save a single life on Irish roads then the first thing they should do is restrict all L drivers to 1.0 Litre cars.
    How on earth is it still legal for a 17 Year old to get a provisional and the very next day go out and get an overpowered car.
    I think the following would have more effect in saving lives then making a woman take a bus with 3 or 4 kids (With some of the stupid comments on this forum I’m just waiting for someone to say she should not have kids if that’s the case)

1 Restrict all L drivers to 1ltr cars
    2 Driving tests must be carried out in an instructors Car
    3 Instructor regulation and accountability.
    4 State run or funded instructions
    5 Add driving to the Secondary School education system

Only then can they enforce the c**p they came out with today. This new policy should only apply to first time Provisional license holders. These people have nothing to loose as they have not driven before.

And before anyone asks
    I am a full license holder and have been for over 16 years.
    I did have a provisional license before I passed my test.
    I did drive with no full driver next to me.

I don’t know anyone with a provisional license so I have no hidden reason for supporting them. We all started somewhere. Even the posters on this forum with a full license.

I hope the L drivers take the Taxi approach and block up Gov buildings to show they won't take this anymore. If they do I will be right their with them.

Its about time people started getting mad in this country. :mad:

i agree with almost everything that you have pointed out, its astonishing the hypocrisy shown by full licence holders, who more than likely themselves were "law breakers" themselves driving unacompanied before they passed the test themselves.

However.. your remark that we first prov licence holders have nothing to lose is horse crap.. what exactly am i meant to do with the car i bought six months ago( that im now perfectly well able to drive, safely). i live with my father who is 69,blind in one eye and who has never driven. so who exactly am i meant to get to drive with me?? nothing to lose except my car, the money i spent and the remainder of the insurance premium that i have already paid for. oh and my sanity.

to be honest i dont think people who are on a second licence or more should be out without someone if there is going to be such a rule, really there is no excuse for not at least getting a test by the time your second licence comes around and you should have been able to pass by then. imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

Question on Checkpoints - Is there anyway to avoid them?

Reason I am asking is that I presume they are easy to spot, is there anyway of:

1) pulling over until the checkpoint has been abandoned ( I realise this could take hours)
    2) turning back?

Are any of the above a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭squishywishy

I'm waiting for a test in Raheny

You'll be waiting ages so!!!!!!!!!!!! Raheny has 2nd longest wait in the country at the moment according to some crazy lady i was talking to in the RSA yesterday............she kindly said ..."oh you applied to Raheny....well that was a little silly...you'll be waiting for your test dear!!"

:p

givyjoe81 wrote:
    i agree with almost everything that you have pointed out, its astonishing the hypocrisy shown by full licence holders, who more than likely themselves were "law breakers" themselves driving unacompanied before they passed the test themselves.

Just because other people got away with breaking the law doesn't mean you get to shout and whine and demand that you be allowed break it as well.
    givyjoe81 wrote:
    what exactly am i meant to do with the car i bought six months ago( that im now perfectly well able to drive, safely).

If you bothered to apply for your test when you bought your car, then your test date will be due very shortly, especially with them bumping up capacity to deal with the onslought of test applications in the past week.
    givyjoe81 wrote:
    the money i spent and the remainder of the insurance premium that i have already paid for

Insurance companies give refunds if you cancel before the end of the year.
    okcomputer wrote:
    Question on Checkpoints - Is there anyway to avoid them?

Reason I am asking is that I presume they are easy to spot, is there anyway of:

1) pulling over until the checkpoint has been abandoned ( I realise this could take hours)
    2) turning back?

Are any of the above a good idea?

If you make an obvious show of trying to dodge the checkpoint, you'll land yourself in a whole heap of ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 boohoody

Should the head of the Road Safety Authority Take the Driving Test

Sign this petition and we'll send it on when we get enough signatures

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/RSA2007/petition.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

boohoody wrote: »
    Should the head of the Road Safety Authority Take the Driving Test

Sign this petition and we'll send it on when we get enough signatures

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/RSA2007/petition.html
    Why have you posted this in more than 1 thread. Now its starting to look like spam.
    So you do mean Gay Byrne not Noel Brett
    Apart from my previous reply, how are you aware he has never taken the test because AFAIAA he is quoted as saying not only has he taken the test, he has done the advanced test and motorcycle test. (stipulation by wife or Bone or someone, before getting on his Harley)
    So Mr Hogan, I see you got one vote so far, you are still one vote off a "we" in "we the undersigned":o Would you not sign it yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Stark wrote: »
    If you make an obvious show of trying to dodge the checkpoint, you'll land yourself in a whole heap of ****.
    Saw cycle cops chase after someone doing this just yesterday, as it was by the canal, in heavy traffic, he hadnt a hope of getting away.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement