Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changes to the Driver Licencing System Mega Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

Stark wrote: »
    Says the one who claimed to be confident enough to take to the roads on his own, but not confident enough to take a competency test.

Listen mate, im driving about six months now, it was about two to three weeks before i was really comfortable in the car, would still be waiting if i had done so now. How long does your first prov last? Two years is it? What possible excuse do they have?? I have applied for my test, just wish i had of done it sooner.

Confidence in passing this test has nothing to do with my confidence in my own driving, at least not at the time, it seemed to me to be almost as much to do with luck as it is sklill my many test experiences i have heard of. Im not an idiot and i dont fancy dying behind the wheel, i wouldn't have attempted to drive if i felt i was a danger to myself or anyone else, and guess what i haven't had an accident or caused one, touch wood. Have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

givyjoe81 wrote: »
    i am most definitely comfortable and confident in my abilities
    Many of the young men who die on our roads each year were probably 'comfortable and confident' in their abilities!

At the risk of boring others, I have been driving for over 20 years and have a full, clean and unrestricted licence in all 14 categories but I wouldn't describe myself as 'confident or comfortable'.

I am very aware of the fact that I could kill myself or others or be killed tomorrow!

Says the one who claimed to be confident enough to take to the roads on his own, but not confident enough to take a competency test.

In the case of the second provisional holder, you can't make assumptions as to why they don't have their full license and if they're abusing the system. Not everyone drives for the full duration of their first provisional. We do know that you've been abusing the system.
    Qh

Are you for real? It was already stated how they can abuse the system, not sure if it was in another post. Sorry but they have NO EXCUSE for not getting their test and passing, at least the majority dont, im sure a few have valid reasons. Explain how so many are on a second provisional? They either cant pass or were too lazy to apply. And i HAVE APPLIED..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You deemed yourself worthy of driving on your own, yet you couldn't be bothered applying for your test. If your car was really that important to you, you would have gotten off your ass and done something to secure your investment. You knew that you couldn't continue driving illegally forever. You have only yourself to blame. Would you have bothered to apply for your test at this stage if they hadn't threatened to enforce the law? You're exactly the kind of driver who takes the system for a ride then cries and whines when their bottle is taken away.
    givejoe81 wrote:
    And i HAVE APPLIED..

After your hand was forced.

Many of the young men who die on our roads each year were probably 'comfortable and confident' in their abilities!

At the risk of boring others, I have been driving for over 20 years and have a full, clean and unrestricted licence in all 14 categories but I wouldn't describe myself as 'confident or comfortable'.

I am very aware of the fact that I could kill myself or others or be killed tomorrow!

Im also very much aware of that, im 26 not a boy racer or anything like, i simply do not speed and this above anything else is the single greatest reason for road deaths, FACT..

If your driving so long and not confident in your driving abilities i would be very worried about meeting you on the road.

• Advertisement

You deemed yourself worthy of driving on your own, yet you couldn't be bothered applying for your test. If your car was really that important to you, you would have gotten off your ass and done something to secure your investment. You knew that you couldn't continue driving illegally forever. You have only yourself to blame. Would you have bothered to apply for your test at this stage if they hadn't threatened to enforce the law? You're exactly the kind of driver who takes the system for a ride then cries and whines when their bottle is taken away.

After your hand was forced.

How am i taking the system for a ride? I have applied, how many people on second prov's do you think still havent? Allot... I did delay and no excuse for that but it was certainly at the fore front of my mind. Listen answer this, did you or did you not break the law just as i am doing? Dont try and talk your way out it, just answer yes or no, n/a if you learned to drive in the north or elsewhere, i am sick to death of this outrageous hypocrisy, none of you harping on lecturing about L drivers have owned up to something most of you did yet there you guys are on the high moral ground, now that this doesnt affect you.

givejoe81 wrote:
    Listen answer this, did you or did you not break the law just as i am doing? Dont try and talk your way out it, just answer yes or no, n/a if you learned to drive in the north or elsewhere,

No I did not break the law just as you are doing. And yes, I learnt to drive in the republic.

givyjoe81 - you might need to rephase your question!

Those who held a provisional licence in categories A, A1, M, or W, those who were on their second licence in category B or those who held their B provisional licence prior to 12th August 1985 could all answer 'YES' but they would have been doing nothing illegal.

Where do you go then?

That's the trouble with legalities - it's never a simple question! ;)

I think we all know what im talking about, a good old four wheeled regular car. I notice no full licence holder has owned up to what we all the majority of you/us did and are doing.

If your driving so long and not confident in your driving abilities i would be very worried about meeting you on the road.
    I suppose it depends on the definition of 'confident' but I do have to share the roads with so many dangerous drivers!

I notice no full licence holder has owned up to what we all the majority of you/us did and are doing.
    I never drove any vehicle unaccompanied when it was legally required! What's your point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Im also very much aware of that, im 26 not a boy racer or anything like, i simply do not speed and this above anything else is the single greatest reason for road deaths, FACT..

And your grammar is pretty horrible.

Look, just in answer to one of your other whinging questions, I did not drive unaccompanied on my provisional licences. In fact, all of my accompanied driving was done by instructors. And I did that here, in Ireland because that was the law and regardless of what other people did, that was what I learned in the rules of the road. So it might be beneficial for you to stop yammering on about how this is Ireland and it's different here. People like YOU make it Ireland. You break the relevant law, you make our driving training system a holy show. If you - regardless of official enforcement - enforced yourself which is what drivers should be doing anyway - we wouldn't have this banana republicesque mess.

I really don't care how inconvenienced you feel by all this. I did not buy a car until I passed my driving test. It is just about possible to live that way in this country. You're 26 years old. What did you do until you got your provisional licence? I have no sympathy for people who wilfully broke the law on first, third and subsequent provisionals. They were supposed to know the rules of the road which include the provision that you cannot drive without a fully licensed driver beside them.

I can understand how someone might wind up on a third provisional with a test failure and some time spent out of the country. I cannot understand how people wind up failing driving tests four times plus, or on fourth provisional licences. I can't understand why they think they are perfectly entitled to break a rational law that is there for the greater good of society.

I think we all know what im talking about, a good old four wheeled regular car. I notice no full licence holder has owned up to what we all the majority of you/us did and are doing.

and a few of them have told you they are morally entitled to hold their views because they did not break the relevant law.

Calina wrote: »
    And your grammar is pretty horrible.

Look, just in answer to one of your other whinging questions, I did not drive unaccompanied on my provisional licences. In fact, all of my accompanied driving was done by instructors. And I did that here, in Ireland because that was the law and regardless of what other people did, that was what I learned in the rules of the road. So it might be beneficial for you to stop yammering on about how this is Ireland and it's different here. People like YOU make it Ireland. You break the relevant law, you make our driving training system a holy show. If you - regardless of official enforcement - enforced yourself which is what drivers should be doing anyway - we wouldn't have this banana republicesque mess.

I really don't care how inconvenienced you feel by all this. I did not buy a car until I passed my driving test. It is just about possible to live that way in this country. You're 26 years old. What did you do until you got your provisional licence? I have no sympathy for people who wilfully broke the law on first, third and subsequent provisionals. They were supposed to know the rules of the road which include the provision that you cannot drive without a fully licensed driver beside them.

I can understand how someone might wind up on a third provisional with a test failure and some time spent out of the country. I cannot understand how people wind up failing driving tests four times plus, or on fourth provisional licences. I can't understand why they think they are perfectly entitled to break a rational law that is there for the greater good of society.

Im sorry not going to bother reading your reply, i was wondering how long it would take for one of you guys to point out something totally irrelevant. What has grammar got to do with this discussion? Does it makes a difference to who's wrong or right? Does it make any of my points less valid? Typical snide remark from someone who thinks they are better than another,

I couldnt resist, well love, (cos you are a woman after all) ( and yes i did put that in to wind you up) you are one of the few people who stuck so regementally to the law. And you are very very naieve if you think thats how most people drive, and not its not possible in all of ireland to get by without a car, most definitely not. Sorry but two years is more than anought time to get a licence, third provisionals?!

I didnt make this country the shamble it is today, the muppets that have been running the country did, what a load of trype, if this was properly enforced long ago i would have never gotten the car, like i stated before i got the car because it wasnt enforced, like it or not thats a fact. I didnt create this crazy mess. Its all or nothing it should be enforced for all not just first time drivers, but sure what does it matter, its not being enforced so i see you all on the road.. toodles.

I never drove any vehicle unaccompanied when it was legally required! What's your point?

My point was that you guys are hypocrites if you had done the same as i had!!! Thats why i wanted you to answer the question.

Im sorry not going to bother reading your reply, i was wondering how long it would take for one of you guys to point out something totally irrelevant. What has grammar got to do with this discussion? Does it makes a difference to who's wrong or right? Does it make any of my points less valid? Typical snide remark from someone who thinks they are better than another,

I couldnt resist, well love, (cos you are a woman after all) ( and yes i did put that in to wind you up) you are one of the few people who stuck so regementally to the law. And you are very very naieve if you think thats how most people drive, and not its not possible in all of ireland to get by without a car, most definitely not. Sorry but two years is more than anought time to get a licence, third provisionals?!

I didnt make this country the shamble it is today, the muppets that have been running the country did, what a load of trype, if this was properly enforced long ago i would have never gotten the car, like i stated before i got the car because it wasnt enforced, like it or not thats a fact. I didnt create this crazy mess. Its all or nothing it should be enforced for all not just first time drivers, but sure what does it matter, its not being enforced so i see you all on the road.. toodles.

That is such an abdication of responsibility, it is laughable. Basically you are saying that Irish drivers are so stupid and childish they need to be compelled to adhere to the law. What you are saying is that we need a nanny state.

Well you're getting one now and it looks like you don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

givyjoe81: Please stop this argument - you're fighting a losing battle and worse, you're doing it badly.

Personally, I'm just starting to drive on my own, I've had a car for a good few months and finally have enough money to pay for the insurance. I'm on a first provisional. I intend on using the car to drive to work daily, I also intend on using it to drive to town/friend's houses etc.

Yes, I'll be breaking the law. Yes, the "No public transport" whine applies to me - I live in the country.

Yet, I agree with this law. It's an unfortunate situation for me right now, simply because the law wasn't enforced until now so I presumed I could drive on my provisional while I await my test (which I do hope will be sooner rather than later - this law might push it forward a bit with all the people signing up after me). But the law should always have been enforced, in all fairness. I personally consider myself a safe driver, and as such feel no shame in going onto the road - but it should not be up to me to make this decision, as while I'm nearly certain it's correct in my case, many are not so wise.

So, personally I'm going to just hope that I do not get fined, and that I pass my test first time. But dear jesus guys, stop complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Well, where do I start?
    Hmmm, il start with, this IS NOT NORTHERN IRELAND, so i dont wanna hear you "whining" about how you had it so 'tough', I'm not speaking about the UK's road laws or systems, Im talking about the system that has been place in the republic of the last number of decades.
    This si a very valid point. What has the Irish system said about being on a first provisional for the last number of years?
    When i was getting my insurance I spoke to a most helpfull Quinn direct insurcane rep that informed me you can cannot drive unacompanied in the north and you wont be insured, but its not a problem in the south, so can you really blame me for getting the car after being told by so many that I shouldnt worry about this 'law' when neither the insurance company or the guards are.
    It is fcuking illegal! Please let me know if you get done for driving on your own, having read all your posts I sincerely hope you are:

Judge: Well givyjoe81, have you anything to say?
    givyjoe81: Well, I am a legend driver. I don't need no stupid instructor to teach me. I was born knowing how to drive.
    Judge: So how come you are 26 and you still have not managed to sit a simple test of competency?
    Givyjoe81: Well, you know I have been really busy for the last 9 years…
    Judge: But surely if you are a really good driver, as you claim, then it would not have been a problem to sit a test sometime in the last 9 years. No?
    Givyjoe81: Well you know, I had to wash my hair and go down the shops and stuff.
    Judge: Well, regardless, you have knowingly and wilfully broken the law. I have no choice but to fine you.
    Givyjoe81: But you honour, some bloke in Quinn Direct told me it would be OK.
    Judge: Oh right! Why didn’t you say that. Case dismissed.

I bought my car in the belief that i could use as the hundreds of thousand of other provisional licence holders do, UNACCOMPANIED..
    Just because others break the law does not give you an entitlement to do so. You bought the car with the intention of breaking the law. Tough tittie.
    why, because they're is no alternative for me, simple as that.
    No. I think the line you are looking for here is “there is no alternative for me that I can be bother with….”
    They have said they would change the rules a year ago or whenever, but i dont think they ever indicated that it would be done over the course of a bank holiday weekend,come on.
    Yes. They said they would change the rules a year ago. The rules for 2nd provisional. The rule for drivers like yourself HAS NOT CHANGED.
    Errr when could you kill someone without legal consequence?! A couple of thousand years ago?? that point really doesnt make much sense.
    Probably a few hundred. It makes as much sense as you being allowed to drive on your own because other did. In fact it makes more sense. The period I am talking about there were no laws. People simply did what they want so if they killed someone, so what. It was not against the law. What you are doing is breaking the law and then using the fact that other people broke the law. It makes even less sense than my example.
    Let me clear this up for you... I didnt feel i would have passed the test,
    OK, so you didn’t feel you would pass a test that is generally considered to be very simple, but you are happy enough to head out on the roads knowing you are not competent enough. I have said this before, we really need a giant “roll eyes.”
    but then they're are thousands upon thousands who feel like this but still do,just a feeling and not a fact.
    And they should not be on the roads on their own either.
    I didnt say that i felt uncomfortable on the roads. I was and still am extemely carefull.
    No you didn’t you said you felt you were not competent enough to pass a very basic test. Point taken.
    Better late than never, bull ****.. and you know it,
    When would you suggest they introduce it? Let me guess, sometime after you manage to get off you arse and pass a simple test perhaps?
    oh by the way, its still not being enforced.
    That’s as maybe. I still would not like to be on a first provisional driving on my own and getting stopped by a gardai that has just found out his wife is banging his boss. The law is already there, they do not have to defend enforcing it and you have no defence.
    nor should it be til they sort the testing mess out, i hear minister dempsey is committed to reducing test waiting times, i just hope he's not as committed as mary harney is to 'improving' the health system.. Come off it, you know as well as i do that the test system is going to crumble under the weight of new applications. Sure the Tallaght test centre to which i applied is now closed!!!Explain that..
    Over 300 thousand provisional drivers were not even on the waiting list. No sympathy at all.
    Did i say that i was the only person who had to drive unacompanied?! If i was then i wouldn't have much of an anrguement then would i?? but the point is, IM NOT.. not by a long shot.
    I don’t think I said you were. I was just responding to your post.
    Lets get this straight lads, this law has never been enforced and will not be til June, thank god, my point is you cant enforce a law which never has been over the course of a weekend and then expect people to sit back and take it, seriously lads, when has a government ever backtracked so embarrassingly over an il thought out campaign.
    They could if they wanted to.
    I agree with them taking action
    After you have your full licence, obviously.
    Oh and gay byrne, never took a test, an interesting point dont you think, why should he be allowed on the roads??
    How about you take a bit of personal responsibility and stop with the whataboutery.
    Cos he's so old he predates the previous legislation?? Another loophole that needs to be closed, people such as himself should have to sit the test and be 'taken off the roads' just like me til they do, but do you think he'd be around long enough to sit his test?? im not so sure..

I don’t think they should be taken off the road but I do think they should have to take a test or lose the privilege of driving. You have never ever had the right to drive on your own so you are not losing anything you had, he is and was allowed to drive so a special case should be made. I have said elsewhere I have a tiny amount of sympathy for 2nd provisional holders, but not much. It would be difficult hbeing allowed to drive and then suddenly not being allowed to drive, but then, all you have to do is pass a simple test.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you cannot understand why an experienced driver has respect for the road and never assumes that they know better, then you have a problem.

MrPudding wrote: »
    Well, where do I start?

This si a very valid point. What has the Irish system said about being on a first provisional for the last number of years?

It is fcuking illegal! Please let me know if you get done for driving on your own, having read all your posts I sincerely hope you are:

Judge: Well givyjoe81, have you anything to say?
    givyjoe81: Well, I am a legend driver. I don't need no stupid instructor to teach me. I was born knowing how to drive.
    Judge: So how come you are 26 and you still have not managed to sit a simple test of competency?
    Givyjoe81: Well, you know I have been really busy for the last 9 years…
    Judge: But surely if you are a really good driver, as you claim, then it would not have been a problem to sit a test sometime in the last 9 years. No?
    Givyjoe81: Well you know, I had to wash my hair and go down the shops and stuff.
    Judge: Well, regardless, you have knowingly and wilfully broken the law. I have no choice but to fine you.
    Givyjoe81: But you honour, some bloke in Quinn Direct told me it would be OK.
    Judge: Oh right! Why didn’t you say that. Case dismissed.

Just because others break the law does not give you an entitlement to do so. You bought the car with the intention of breaking the law. Tough tittie.

No. I think the line you are looking for here is “there is no alternative for me that I can be bother with….”

Yes. They said they would change the rules a year ago. The rules for 2nd provisional. The rule for drivers like yourself HAS NOT CHANGED.

Probably a few hundred. It makes as much sense as you being allowed to drive on your own because other did. In fact it makes more sense. The period I am talking about there were no laws. People simply did what they want so if they killed someone, so what. It was not against the law. What you are doing is breaking the law and then using the fact that other people broke the law. It makes even less sense than my example.

OK, so you didn’t feel you would pass a test that is generally considered to be very simple, but you are happy enough to head out on the roads knowing you are not competent enough. I have said this before, we really need a giant “roll eyes.”

And they should not be on the roads on their own either.

No you didn’t you said you felt you were not competent enough to pass a very basic test. Point taken.

When would you suggest they introduce it? Let me guess, sometime after you manage to get off you arse and pass a simple test perhaps?

That’s as maybe. I still would not like to be on a first provisional driving on my own and getting stopped by a gardai that has just found out his wife is banging his boss. The law is already there, they do not have to defend enforcing it and you have no defence.

Over 300 thousand provisional drivers were not even on the waiting list. No sympathy at all.

I don’t think I said you were. I was just responding to your post.

They could if they wanted to.

After you have your full licence, obviously.

How about you take a bit of personal responsibility and stop with the whataboutery.

I don’t think they should be taken off the road but I do think they should have to take a test or lose the privilege of driving. You have never ever had the right to drive on your own so you are not losing anything you had, he is and was allowed to drive so a special case should be made. I have said elsewhere I have a tiny amount of sympathy for 2nd provisional holders, but not much. It would be difficult hbeing allowed to drive and then suddenly not being allowed to drive, but then, all you have to do is pass a simple test.

MrP

Not going into all the points cos were are gonna be here forever going back and forward, but typical of the banana republic the man fronting the campaign has never sat his test, so who's to say he's competent on the road? Himself apparantly. The fact that there was a climbdown as regards 2nd Prov drivers proves this was ill thought out, end of. A simple basic test that 50% of people fail, my belief that i would not pass was based on these shokcing stats not my driving ability. I dont think you can argue that bad drivers can pass and good ones can fail, just read some of the experiences of those that have failed on here and then take a look at some of the idiots with full licences on the road, namely boy and girl racer types. Seriously how many of them do you see with L plates cos i have to be honest i dont see many, my mate included.

These measures are not going to solve a damn thing, its just reducing the numbers on the road, thereby logically reducing the number of accidents, using this same logic why not take all non-commercial vehicles off the road, problem solved, zero road deaths. Now seriously, i think that another measure would be far more affective seen as speed is the single bigges factor in road deaths.

Im sure some of you are familiar with this box learner drivers could get installed in their cars to reduce their premium, dont know too much about it but i understand it is to monitor the speeds of the driver and make sure he aint breaking the law? Well if they aren't speeding then they are less likely to kill someone. These boxes should be made mandatory in ALL cars, not just learner, they should either be put there to monitor the speed of the car or restrict using some kind of gps system depending on what road the car is on. This kind of technology would be easily implemented and could be done cheaply i imagine, this would be far more likely to improve safety on the roads and add this to breathalizer immobilizer in your car, which i think some countries have made mandatory or at least some US states then you start making a difference, cos i guarantee these measures are just a drop in the ocean aren't going to make a blind bit of real difference, even if they are a step in the right direction.

I may have gone off point but just want to demonstate im not just obsessed with my own situation.

Not going into all the points cos were are gonna be here forever going back and forward, but typical of the banana republic the man fronting the campaign has never sat his test, so who's to say he's competent on the road? Himself apparantly.

Yet more whataboutery.
    The fact that there was a climbdown as regards 2nd Prov drivers proves this was ill thought out, end of.
    The situation was a joke to begin with. 2nd provisional licence holders should never have been allowed to drive alone, but they were. I concede that it is perhaps unreasonable to take away a persons ability to drive a such short notice. But you on the otherhand were never allowed to drive on your own.
    A simple basic test that 50% of people fail, my belief that i would not pass was based on these shokcing stats not my driving ability.
    Of course, because whether you pass or fail has nothing to do with you skill. <GIANT ROLL EYES>
    I dont think you can argue that bad drivers can pass and good ones can fail, just read some of the experiences of those that have failed on here and then take a look at some of the idiots with full licences on the road, namely boy and girl racer types. Seriously how many of them do you see with L plates cos i have to be honest i dont see many, my mate included.
    And your point is? More whataboutery?
    These measures are not going to solve a damn thing, its just reducing the numbers on the road, thereby logically reducing the number of accidents, using this same logic why not take all non-commercial vehicles off the road, problem solved, zero road deaths. Now seriously, i think that another measure would be far more affective seen as speed is the single bigges factor in road deaths.
    Show me statistics that prove this. The RSA’s own figures do not back up their own press releases on the subject.
    Im sure some of you are familiar with this box learner drivers could get installed in their cars to reduce their premium, dont know too much about it but i understand it is to monitor the speeds of the driver and make sure he aint breaking the law?
    I am sure it also monitors speed but the main thing it does is enforce a curfew.

MrP

• Advertisement

MrPudding wrote: »
    Yet more whataboutery.

The situation was a joke to begin with. 2nd provisional licence holders should never have been allowed to drive alone, but they were. I concede that it is perhaps unreasonable to take away a persons ability to drive a such short notice. But you on the otherhand were never allowed to drive on your own.

Of course, because whether you pass or fail has nothing to do with you skill. <GIANT ROLL EYES>

And your point is? More whataboutery?

Show me statistics that prove this. The RSA’s own figures do not back up their own press releases on the subject.

I am sure it also monitors speed but the main thing it does is enforce a curfew.

MrP

Typical, a valid and worthwhile point ignored cos you richeous full licence guys have an axe to grind with L drivers such as myself, and what RSA figures?

I know the box monitors speed, that's why i brought it up. Forget who's pointing this out do you not think this technology would be far more affective in attempting to solve the problem than just taking people off the road, after we all be back on eventually, and speed is the biggest problem, FACT. Forget about me.

Dont know what box your talking about but i never heard of it being used to enforce curfew's, http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1011463,00.html#article_continue , thats the first thing i could find, a very useful invention i think.

Typical, a valid and worthwhile point ignored cos you richeous full licence guys have an axe to grind with L drivers such as myself, and what RSA figures?
    What valid and worthwhile point? I can't get past your fcuking incessant whining and whataboutery. Have you actually ever made a valid and worthwhile point?
    I know the box monitors speed, that's why i brought it up. Forget who's pointing this out do you not think this technology would be far more affective in attempting to solve the problem than just taking people off the road, after we all be back on eventually, and speed is the biggest problem, FACT. Forget about me.
    I will try a bit of whataboutery now. What about the countries that have much better road safety than us, but don't use these boxes?

MrP

Realistically speaking here, I have this problem in that you do not consider yourself sufficiently expert to pass the basic driving test that we have here, so I question how competent you are to assess the real issues with road safety in Ireland.

Your comment about speed is interesting and misguided. Speed is not the issue - excessive speed for the prevailing conditions is - where we are talking about speed as an issue. Mostly the accidents I wind up having to avoid usually involve people overtaking in places they shouldn't be overtaking.

I don't call that a problem with speeding, I call it a problem with overtaking in the wrong place.

Many Irish drivers have this impression that they can ignore the rules with impunity. They have learned this in the driving cradle by believing they can drive anywhere, even without passing a simple driving test. Irish drivers need to lose this mindset for any progress to be made. Talking about how other things are the problem is nothing other than displacement activity. Unaccompanied learner drivers is part of the problem too because it feeds into the attitude to road safety - ie - that it's somehow someone else's fault.

Calina wrote: »
    Realistically speaking here, I have this problem in that you do not consider yourself sufficiently expert to pass the basic driving test that we have here, so I question how competent you are to assess the real issues with road safety in Ireland.

Your comment about speed is interesting and misguided. Speed is not the issue - excessive speed for the prevailing conditions is - where we are talking about speed as an issue. Mostly the accidents I wind up having to avoid usually involve people overtaking in places they shouldn't be overtaking.

I don't call that a problem with speeding, I call it a problem with overtaking in the wrong place.

Many Irish drivers have this impression that they can ignore the rules with impunity. They have learned this in the driving cradle by believing they can drive anywhere, even without passing a simple driving test. Irish drivers need to lose this mindset for any progress to be made. Talking about how other things are the problem is nothing other than displacement activity. Unaccompanied learner drivers is part of the problem too because it feeds into the attitude to road safety - ie - that it's somehow someone else's fault.

Eh hang on a second, i dont remember seeing in the current road safety ads, "kill your EXCESSIVE SPEED" do you? Im sorry but that is the number one problem, fact, not bad overtaking, id be interested to know that stats of accidents relating to overtaking. You've have just done the same and asserted your opinion that overtaking is the problem, im sorry but where did you pull that from? The ones telling us that speed is the problem are the government/rsa in their ad campaigns. Im sorry but i do not believe that having someone in the car with you is going to stop an accident.

Its not displacement, i havent had an accident and if i did and i was to blame i would hold up my hands. I did say forget about me and concentrate on the point i made re: technology. My own views regarding the L driver system does make a blind bit of difference to the validity of the speed issue, sorry i keep forgeting, excessive speed.

givyjoe81 wrote:
    The ones telling us that speed is the problem are the government/rsa in their ad campaigns.

The same RSA that has Gay Byrne as their spokesperson? I take it you're only willing to listen to messages that appeal to you. "Preach on Mr." when they're giving about about someone else, but cry foul when they turn their attentions to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Oh shut up. Thats why.

Err, that wasnt for you stark, it was for the other guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Jumpy wrote: »
    Oh shut up. Thats why.

+1 :D

The same RSA that has Gay Byrne as their spokesperson? I take it you're only willing to listen to messages that appeal to you. "Preach on Mr." when they're giving about about someone else, but cry foul when they turn their attentions to you.

Eh didnt see gaybo in the ads myself.

Jumpy wrote: »
    Oh shut up. Thats why.

The day i listen to someone like you is the same day you actually give respect to other peoples opinions.

• Advertisement

Eh didnt see gaybo in the ads myself.

Oh bless. I seem to remember the law banning people from driving alone on 1st, 3rd of subsequent provisionals being drawn up long before Gaybo had any connection with the RSA. Yet one of your half baked excuses for dismissing those laws was "Wah wah, that RSA guy didn't do his test, why should I have to?". Things change, sometimes you can't have the same toys that your older siblings had.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement