Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changes to the Driver Licencing System Mega Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Ah jesus, don't I feel like a gimp for putting off getting my provisional licence for the past year!:(
    Had enough cash saved up to buy a decent enough car and I was planning on sorting out my licence tomorrow... There's no point even buying a car now.
    Might as well just blow the lot on beer and hookers

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

DarkJager wrote: »
    Exactly. How they actually thought they'd get away with this is beyond me... I'm not going to sit back and take it anyway. Where would be the best place to get an email address or contact number for the minister of transport?

http://www.transport.ie/

http://www.noeldempsey.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Stark wrote: »
    Hah, just went outside to put out the rubbish and noticed that the 3 cars with L-plates that were parked outside have just had their L-plates "magically disappear".

Maybe they stuck them on the back of their heads so people know their unqualified :)
    I think my sister will be disappointed when she gets home and finds out, i got insured on my mothers car as it was an easier alternative than buying my own and paying alot of insurance, so she bought a car so she could learn on it.

The Department of Transport,
    Transport House,
    Kildare St., Dublin 2, Ireland.
    Tel: + 353 1 670 7444
    or Locall 1890 443 311
    Email: info@transport.ie

im quite certain the technician opens that email

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I personally have absolutlely no intention of paying any notice to this law. I've been driving for 2 years and it will be over my dead ****ing body I'll allow this 2 bit joke of a government to take me off the road.

I'm afraid you'll be put off the road one way or another and rightly so, you may try and scoot around like the old regime but this is here for keeps and WILL be enforced.

I think this will bring the standard of driving on the roads up, i met a learner at 6am with no lights on the other morning!

Unfortunately that your waiting 2 years for a test date. Only took me 3 months??

We're only 20 years or so behind even te poorest of countries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

What do the RSA suggest to someone on a 2nd provisional living in a rural area with no public transport and a 4 month wait for a test? Can't get to work...so just sign on to the dole? (If there was a way to get to the dole office)?

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Just thinking they were saying the next move to to make a new maximum speed limit for L-drivers, on our non dual-carriageway roads, that is a recipe for disaster!!

400,000 more tractors on the road!! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 54,296 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lads

im fair pissed of with this new law

its a disgrace

im hoping to go for the gardai soon and now im **** scared to drive my L plate car to work

what should i do

if im caught there goes the garda job

is the best option no L plate up

i need a car to go to work
    would this be possible

right im driving my L plate car and get pulled over by the gardai and i gave them my fathers name who is also insured to drive my car

the garda asks for my driving licenses and i say ' i left it at home'

the garda says' ill have to report to the garda station with in so many days'

ill get my father to go to the station

is this away to get around this unaccompanied driving law

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

saw it just now on the news.

http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhmhmhqlauey/

I'm afraid you'll be put off the road one way or another and rightly so, you may try and scoot around like the old regime but this is here for keeps and WILL be enforced.

It wont be enforced fully for a few years imo. Something to scare the masses.

I think this will bring the standard of driving on the roads up, i met a learner at 6am with no lights on the other morning!

Ive never seen a non-learner do this :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

this is a good thing, and it's about bloody time too.

come on people, you're seriously telling me that taking a test, failing, then legally driving away from the center is acceptable?

in no other country would you get this rubbish and i'm glad to see this rule introduced.

the lack of notice is ridiculous though.. i feel for you guys who can't get a test and need a car for work/college etc..

but it IS a good thing overall.

unkel wrote: »
    Nice rant, DarkJager. Now let's put some things into perspective here.

2 years. So you've either failed the driving test (proving you're not competent to drive a car), or you haven't bothered applying for a test earlier. Which is it? Perhaps time to blame yourself a little bit more than blaming the powers that be?

you do realise they have a quota for passing people, which means 100 perfect drivers enter, 50 of them will be failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nice rant, DarkJager. Now let's put some things into perspective here.
    I've been driving for 2 years
    I'm on a waiting list for the full test

2 years. So you've either failed the driving test (proving you're not competent to drive a car), or you haven't bothered applying for a test earlier. Which is it? Perhaps time to blame yourself a little bit more than blaming the powers that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Are there any reports or statistics from the RSA or other with the number of accidence and/or deaths caused by learners -v- 'experienced' drivers?
    Also, with all these measures in place the majority of learners being 17-24 presumably(?) - can we expect to see fairer insurance costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

lads

im fair pissed of with this new law

its a disgrace

im hoping to go for the gardai soon and now im **** scared to drive my L plate car to work

what should i do

if im caught there goes the garda job

is the best option no L plate up

i need a care to go to work
    If you're thinking about becoming a Garda, don't you think now would be a good time to start obeying the law?

Its very hard to actually get your test when the test centre in Limerick decides to change your date without informing you first....twice. I have been called on 2 occasions on days I am NOT due to take the test, and have been asked where I am? They do not seem to take any notice of their mistake, keep the money, and then force you back onto the waiting list again. Thats why I have been waiting 2 years, due to the incompetancy of this government. So no, I have no intentions of placing blame on myself as I have followed procedures but have been ****ed around by a bunch of clowns.

Placebo wrote: »
    you do realise they have a quota for passing people, which means 100 perfect drivers enter, 50 of them will be failed.

Very interesting thesis, Placebo. Any link to back that up?

Cionád wrote: »
    It wont be enforced fully for a few years imo. Something to scare the masses.

Ive never seen a non-learner do this :rolleyes:

Point taken abut the lights , but there is a pretty poor standard of driving. I've been forced to fit a camera in my car as i've been cut off and nearly rear ended 2 learners

I take it your a learner then??

I'm afraid hey will enforce this and the guards can't be everywhere, but sooner of later people will eb caught.

People in the UK wouldn't dream of going out unaccompanied on a learners permit , why should it be different here??, a step in the right direction.

Now lets get the test waiting times down as the next priority

unkel wrote: »
    Very interesting thesis, Placebo. Any link to back that up?

While i cant back my analogy up as ive drafted it up for example purposes i can definitely get you proof for my "thesis", stay tuned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

My two brothers have both bought cars for 6-7K each in the last month plus insurance each. Both need their motors and have applied for their tests. So it has cost them each over 8K to get motors that they now can't use. If they had any decent notice of this I could accept the enforcement but this is a bit extreme.

Tell me, are they going to insist that anyone over the age of 60 has to take a mandatory retest within the next 5 days to see are they still competent to drive?

I do think there needs to be a reform but the handling of this has been terrible.

Additionally : I see this as no coincidence that the bonus announcements were made on the same day. What is closer to people's hearts?

• Advertisement

Point taken abut the lights , but there is a pretty poor standard of driving. I've been forced to fit a camera in my car as i've been cut off and nearly rear ended 2 learners

a camera in your car? Maybe its silly sallys like you that should be put off the road ;) Cionad is a respected full PINK license owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Let me guess,

A green piece of paper with a photo and folds up to conveniently fit in a plastic wallet.

experience tells me that it will more likely be a piece of paper that folds up INCONVENIENTLY and WON'T fit in a wallet.............like the pink one we already have..:rolleyes:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Nope, full license for just over a year now.

My point is that the test is no big masterful thing that when you pass your a great driver. And there are so many bad drivers out there, and most of them are full license holders (although learners would be proportionally worse).

I think they should be phasing in an approach, teach driving in secondary school, clear a backlog and introduce a re-testing law whereby everyone needs to resit (a revised, tougher) driving test every 10 or so years. That would improve driving quality greatly i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Amata

All i can say is that I am absolutely livid with this new law, but what did i expect from this ****hole of a country? i just bought a car two weeks ago and am on my second provisional and now i can't drive it without my parents with me??!what an absolute joke...i really think we should protest...i've already applied for my second test and i'm assuming that it'll be next may until my test...so in the meantime i have to get two buses to college which will amount to an extra 20 euro on top of my insurance while there is a perfectly good car in my drive way that i am perfectly capable of driving!THIS IS A BLOODY JOKE!

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I remember when I did my test I managed to see a list of the people that the tester had done/has to do for the day. I managed to see all the people that went before me:

pass-fail-pass-fail-me

I`m sure it was just a fluke that I passed I suppose. That said I drove a decent test :)

well according to this http://www.drivingtest.ie/frameset.html
    50% [maths = more ceiling than floor] of the whole irish driving population at some stage was unqualified :rolleyes:

ixus wrote: »
    My two brothers have both bought cars for 6-7K each in the last month plus insurance each. Both need their motors and have applied for their tests. So it has cost them each over 8K to get motors that they now can't use. If they had any decent notice of this I could accept the enforcement but this is a bit extreme.

Id say drive, and pay the 1000 euro in the unlikely event of being checked. whats 1k in 8k anyway :)
    ixus wrote: »
    Additionally : I see this as no coincidence that the bonus announcements were made on the same day. What is closer to people's hearts?

Very good point!!!

Its very hard to actually get your test when the test centre in Limerick decides to change your date without informing you first....twice.

So if I'm reading this right, you've applied for your driving test 2 years ago and since then you've been given 2 appointments to do your driving test. You showed up on both occasions ready to do the test and both times you were informed that your driving test was cancelled?

If so that's a shocking example of customer service. Nothing to do with the government, but I expect you'd get your money + expenses (and lost income) back through the small claims court easily enough. No need for a brief either...

Placebo wrote: »
    a camera in your car? Maybe its silly sallys like you that should be put off the road ;) Cionad is a respected full PINK license owner.

Cameras the size of a postage stamp & stuck behind te mirror, theres a dvr in the glovebox and its paid for itself.

I proved I had right of way!!

Exactly the case Unkle. Both times I was refused my money back as they had "texted" me the re-arranged appointment, which never occurred.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

and nearly rear ended 2 learners

Thats your fault. they could do what they did with a full licence holder present. stop tailgating and you might not need a camera. :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement