Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changes to the Driver Licencing System Mega Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

DarkJager wrote: »
    Bet the other 300 million europeans didn't get 5 days notice?? No they didn't, because this is Ireland and our government love to do everything arseways...

True , but our system IS literally 2 decades behind the time.

Reason spates of young deaths on the road may have prompted such a hasty action

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

1) Get Lessons
    2) Apply for your test
    3) Pass your Test
    4) Go to your nearest consort and Buy some R Plates :D

I have applied for my test already, but 5 days notice is a joke. Im expected to wake up my mother, call to her house and collect her. Bring her in the car to my workplace and then expect her to walk home.

Cant even get the girlfriend to do it because she hasnt had her licence for 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭frany

1) Get Lessons
    2) Apply for your test
    3) Pass your Test
    4) Go to your nearest consort and Buy some R Plates :D

Has the waiting time improved? My test I had to wait for 1.5 years.

I can understand if they said in a few months time, rather then 4 days. Would give people a chance to make arrangements. The law is good, but the problem is that waiting time for test is too long.

frany wrote: »
    Has the waiting time improved? My test I had to wait for 1.5 years.

I can understand if they said in a few months time, rather then 4 days. Would give people a chance to make arrangements. The law is good, but the problem is that waiting time for test is too long.

If your waiting 1.5 ears i'd start to blame an post did you get a confirmation??

I agree test times have to come down but i know numerous people doing tests and 8 months was the longest there was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

unkel wrote: »
    2 years. So you've either failed the driving test (proving you're not competent to drive a car), or you haven't bothered applying for a test earlier. Which is it?

Might be neither tbh. Depending on where you put your test in you can be waiting that long or longer. Mine was almost 2 years waiting list and I got the confirmation that I was on the waiting list within a week of paying (That is Raheny btw). May of changed since.

I believe you can speed it up with a letter from work.

I'm guessing there are a lot of testing centers going to be ringing off the hook tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I had a moment the other day when overtaking a car that could have been more scary, given different circumstances, when I couldnt get 3rd gear (Crunch!), meaning that for a few seconds I was coasting on the other side of the road beside the car I was overtaking. Thankfully I had plenty of straight, but the limiters should account for situations like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

If your waiting 1.5 ears i'd start to blame an post did you get a confirmation??

Funnily enough, I nearly missed my test because my letter never arrived. Only found out I had one scheduled when I rang them to tell them I had a fortnight's holidays coming up and I wouldn't be available. The response was "Okay, we'll just enter those. Actually, you've a test scheduled next week".

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Melion wrote: »
    I have applied for my test already, but 5 days notice is a joke. Im expected to wake up my mother, call to her house and collect her. Bring her in the car to my workplace and then expect her to walk home.

Cant even get the girlfriend to do it because she hasnt had her licence for 2 years.

You won't be able to drive to your mothers house to collect her so she will have to call to you :D

NBar wrote: »
    You won't be able to drive to your mothers house to collect her so she will have to call to you :D

I was gona say that:D

• Advertisement

Get a taxi ;)

Actually, don't a lot of companies pay for taxis if you're working unsociable hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Get a push bike and stay fit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 inertiaman

This is a bit Orwellian :mad:

From Breakingnews.ie

Technology will be installed in every car used by a leaner driver that will cap its power, under plans unveiled today.

Road safety chiefs want to limit the acceleration or capacity of engines being used by inexperienced motorists as part of a crackdown on road deaths.

Noel Brett, chief executive of the Road Safety Authority (RSA), said that once the right device or technology is found new laws will be brought in to make it mandatory.

“We are searching to find the most appropriate way of limiting the power of a car – that already happens for motorcycles,” he said.

The road safety chief said bringing in restrictions on car engine size for learner drivers alone was too simplistic.

“That wouldn’t work and that would have all sorts of issues for our community,” he insisted, at the launch of the Government’s five-year road safety strategy.

“What we have to find is the mechanism to limit vehicles, mechanically or otherwise, that keeps people as safe as possible without denying them access to [safety] features that are on bigger cars.”

Mr Brett said research is already under way to find the most appropriate way of stopping inexperienced drivers getting behind the wheel of powerful cars.

The technology is also likely to limit anyone else using the same car.

“We will find the most appropriate technology, whether it is engine limiters, engine governors, speed restricters or some other technology to make sure that young and inexperienced drivers don’t have access to the most dangerous vehicles,” he said.

“Learners will be able to drive the family car but the car will have to be restricted.

“Once we have concluded the engineering research to get the best way of doing that we will introduce it by legislation.”

Motorcycles used by learners already have to meet power-to-weight ratios while the speed on large trucks and buses is also capped.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

btw didn't they have an Amnesty some years back that gave everyone on the road a free license? I think they should retest those people as well to keep it fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

DonJose wrote: »
    Again DRIVING IS A PRIVILEGE NOT A RIGHT!!!

we also have no right to put sugar in our tea, but I bet everyone would be pissed if the government said it was been baned in 5 days....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

I have to love this comment from Gay Byrne:
    "Because young men suffer from a disease which can only be described as '17 to 26' - that is the disease in itself."

Gotta love sweeping prejudicial remarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i hope they put more carriages on the freekin dart !! its packed as it is. Or have they assumed all those L's will just stay home ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

I have been a provisional driver for 2 years now. I have done and failed 1 test (got 9 grade 2's, when 8 gives you a pass) due to not checking my mirrors when exiting my car in the car park.........rediculous imo. and to add to that, i was waiting for that test for 1 year 3 months. Since then, i have re-applied for my test and am still waiting for a date (it has been 5 months already). This new law is ****ed up, no time at all for sorting out a test. Look whats going to happen over the next few days....over 100,000 applications for a driving test are going to be sent in which will extend the waiting time to at least over 40 weeks. What have they done now?!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The system works well in motorcycles and is accepted to be fair even if bikers moan about it.
    Of course there isn't 100% compliance either but I feel it isn't a bad idea.

Orwellian is a strong term OP.
    Don't drivers in NI have R plates which similar effect without the technology part.
    I'm not saying it's right or wrong as I don't drive cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Thankfully I had plenty of straight, but the limiters should account for situations like this.

There should be no limiters of any discription whatsoever... end of. We don't need asolution to a problem that doesn't need to exist nor should exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

The usual thing they always do....made a bad situation even worse. As for Gay Byrne, I don't see how a coffin dodger who presented a show aimed at 75 year olds can suddenly become an expert on road safety. As for his remarks, maybe he'd be better off just keeping his mouth shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

What's the insurance position if you drive illegally - Are you covered :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Excellent. Some sort of DNA fingerprinting thing where the car won't start if you're male and aged 17-24 would be good too.

And a video camera to see if you have a baseball cap on backwards and/or the drivers seat at a 75 degree angle, get that in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

This is a joke to be honest, how the goverment can let the provisional licence saga get so out of control and then try t o fix it in less than a week, this is gonna be some mess, some of the ideas in it are good but surely implimenting it within a week is ridicolous.

also we've heard stuff like this before and it has never happened, it just blows over and nothin happens so is this the real deal? it seems comical to me.

also after seeing gay bynres comments on tv3 news saying that all 17 - 26 year old have a disease called being 17 - 26 year olds, what an idiot, where did he come with that? such a general thing to say, ask him how bad a driver lewis hamilton is and what age he is, his comments really annoyed me, i mean what an idiot

JamesM wrote: »
    What's the insurance position if you drive illegally - Are you covered :confused:

I'd say no, But a friend of mine had a light ender bender in a car park 900euros damage an her insurance company paid up o the other party. She was n her first provisional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ms Smirnoff

I think it's interesting that they're clamping down learners but not a word was said about the amount of left-hand drives on the road. I mean, using a car on roads that it's not designed for at all is an absolute hazard and I fail to see why nothing is being done about this yet. I know the EU is all about free movement and all that jazz but when something's clearly a safety risk, surely that should be taken in account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Armstrong

storka wrote: »
    Hey can anyone help me answer this, been trying to figure it out! I'm on my first provisional which i've had for over 1 and a half years. I've applied for my test and would guess i'll get it in the new year sometime. Under the new rules i cant take my test until i've had my "learners permit" for 6 months. Now when i go to renew my provisional it will obviously change into a "learners permit". Does this mean the 6 months start then or am i covered already.

Thanks!

reckon your covered. i just applied for my test and i have my 1st provisional 6 months and 2 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Yes you will be covered from an insurance point as at the time of taking out the policy you have stated you hold a prov licence.

I was driving 6 mths approx & went for a job that required full lic. Got letter from job stating i needed test urgently & got test date after 4 weeks with 2 wks notice to test date.
    Past the test but didnt get the job:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement