Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changes to the Driver Licencing System Mega Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

draffodx wrote: »
    also after seeing gay bynres comments on tv3 news saying that all 17 - 26 year old have a disease called being 17 - 26 year olds, what an idiot, where did he come with that? such a general thing to say, ask him how bad a driver lewis hamilton is and what age he is, his comments really annoyed me, i mean what an idiot

I can't believe he said that. Where can i mail him? (or has he got email now, the old old oldie man)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

daveirl wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Why? Provisionals are only been given 4 days. Amnesty people have had many years to learn.

I'd also say lets test the over 65 as well on the list, starting with Gaybo. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Cion&#225 wrote: »
    I can't believe he said that. Where can i mail him? (or has he got email now, the old old oldie man)

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhmhmhqlaukf/rss2/

You won't be able to e-mail him as old people like himself don't know how to use computers. You'll have to ring him and shout REALLY LOUDLY into the phone as he'll have old man disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Kruk

That's completely ridiculous. What they wanna do? They also should require there will be a Garda officer in every car driving by male 17 - 26 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

I applied in April, just after I recieved my second licence, and bought a car 2 weeks later. It's the Finglas test centre though:confused:. I was hoping for a test this side of Christmas. Thing is, as I said, I took a job in Wicklow on the grounds that I could drive to it. Its a shift job so starts at unsociable times sometimes, and is definitely outside bus/train schedules. I also attend college twice a week, which now will be impossible to get to from work for more or less the same reasons. I agree road safety needs to be improved, I also think this warrents a little more of an intro time, rather than an arbitrary "as of Monday". Otherwise, as of Monday, I may as well effectively hand in my notice:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I don't disagree with the changes but I would disagree with the implementation.

I just hope they plan on putting more effort into clamping down on all drivers, not just L-drivers. No doubt that it's not a good idea to have so many unqualified drivers on the road but in my mind the most dangerous drivers I see tend to be ones that are qualified and have decided they don't need to remember the rules of the road anymore because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

newsdesk@rte.ie

News@tv3.ie

independent.letters@independent.ie

herald.news@independent.ie

could everybody please send an email pointing out how ridicolous gay bynres comments where to some or all of the about emails, the only thing that man deserves is a massive backlash against those comments, it was just pure ridicolous stereotyping, a massive generalisation and insulting to people who are in that age bracket but are mature enough to drive.

I will be sending an email to all but it will be just thrown in the thrash if its on its own, so come on people you have a voice use it, see if we can get some coverage of how angry we are at gay bynre??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Keith C wrote: »
    Yes you will be covered from an insurance point as at the time of taking out the policy you have stated you hold a prov licence.

I was driving 6 mths approx & went for a job that required full lic. Got letter from job stating i needed test urgently & got test date after 4 weeks with 2 wks notice to test date.
    Past the test but didnt get the job:D

I believe that an insurance company can refuse to pay up for an accident that occurs while you are breaking the law. I could be wrong :o

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Thankfully I had plenty of straight, but the limiters should account for situations like this.

The limiters cut the engines performance. It won't account for the driving situation. Thats the drivers job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

JamesM wrote: »
    I believe that an insurance company can refuse to pay up for an accident that occurs while you are breaking the law. I could be wrong :o

Can you give any examples??

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My €0.02:
    * hopefully my commute will be better than it has been this week
    * about 1/3 of driving test applicants don't bother their ass turning up
    * a large portion of applicants fail the test - do people seriously feel these should be allowed continue drive alone?
    * everyone who is on a second and subsequent provisional has had ample opportunity to prepare for, apply and pass a test. If they haven't a full licence then there really is only one person to blame.
    * statistically young men are a higher risk. Do people still not believe that? Assuming that you do believe it, then do you not accept that by implimenting better training, drivers will become safer?
    * do all those complaining about the proposed measures think that the systems used by all other countries are unfair?
    * driving should be regarded as a privilege and not a right - get used to it. The days of getting your provisional licence and then driving on main roads without any training are over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You are wrong, they must pay any 3rd party claim. However an insurance company can sue you for the money it pays out if you are unlicensed or in breach of conditions of driving.

If you drive whilst breaking the law (whether speeding, drunk, not properly licenced or whatever) then they may be in a position to void your cover. This doesn't happen. Generally their approach is to continue cover and reserve the right to pursue any claim made against you of they wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

Keith C wrote: »
    Can you give any examples??

would they pay if you drove your car into the side of a bank in the hope of gaining access to an ATM?

afaik if you're in a crash on a motorway on an L-plate they will honour the policy but crucify you on renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Karoma wrote: »
    Are there any reports or statistics from the RSA or other with the number of accidence and/or deaths caused by learners -v- 'experienced' drivers?
    Also, with all these measures in place the majority of learners being 1o-24 presumably(?) - can we expect to see fairer insurance costs?

Insurance premiums are at alltime low levels, the cost of claims is starting to increase, if this continues, premiums will start to rise :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

Its all sensible stuff but the notice is far too short for those people who are currently on a second provisional.

People are relying on their cars to get them to work 4 days notice that they can no longer drive is ridiculous especially when the waiting time for a test is so long

My wife has been waiting for 8 months at this stage.

I think that they should have given 6 months notice at least to allow people a chance to try and get their affairs in order .

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭storka

What's the insurance position if you drive illegally - Are you covered :confused:

When I was getting insured on my parents car my dad asked the insurance company would i still be covered if driving on my own on a provisional and they said yes.

As a provisional holder waiting for a test I agree with this policy but 4 days notice is a piss take by the government. Luckily for me i'm not car dependant but al those other people who are only being given 4 days notice:rolleyes:

On the issue of this being normal in all other European countries lets just remember in those countries you can get a test almost immediately and they also have an unknown phenonomen that is yet to reach Ireland called PUBLIC TRANSPORT!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Bond-007 wrote: »
    You are wrong, they must pay any 3rd party claim. However an insurance company can sue you for the money it pays out if you are unlicensed or in breach of conditions of driving.

If you cause a big accident (several people severly injured etc) this means they could have you paying them back for the rest of your life !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Dont drive a car myself, but I agree that these measures are too harsh.
    I believe the measures would be *perfect* if there wasnt any more than a 3week or so waiting period for a full test.

About the restrictors being put into cars - probably a decent idea, within reason. If properly done, the amount of boy racers on the roads would decline sharply.

To be honest, I cant see a few hundred thousand drivers off the road come halloween. I can see a lot of L/R plates going missing though.

• Advertisement

I took lessons. Once a week nearly every week. I was in college then so got the bus to and from school, lessons were discounted through the college if we got picked up and dropped off at the college grounds, so thats what I did. I didn't apply for the test then, despite what the Instructor advised, as between college commitments, and other things eating into my time, and not having the means to practice by myself I felt I wouldn't be good enough to pass. I didn't drive unaccompanied on the second licence for my first month and praticed in my own car nearly every day for that month before I started the commute to work solo. (Before then my very understanding father came with me, and picked me up in the evenings, however as he has a job and life of his own to maintain, I can't see him doing that again)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

the gov should work on getting driving lessons, driving tests put into schools, but no as usual they make something that needs a total make over a tiny bit better but adding something arsy to it

Tellox wrote: »
    To be honest, I cant see a few hundred thousand drivers off the road come halloween. I can see a lot of L/R plates going missing though.
    With more and more checkpoints put in place because of this and the run up to Christmas, that will mean that a lot of Provisional drivers will earn themselves up to €1,000 fines and possibly a few points thrown in for good measure!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

kbannon wrote: »
    With more and more checkpoints put in place because of this and the run up to Christmas, that will mean that a lot of Provisional drivers will earn themselves up to €1,000 fines and possibly a few points thrown in for good measure!

Thus dawning a golden age for photoshoppers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Jessibelle wrote: »
    I took lessons. Once a week nearly every week.

about 40 euro a test these days. You paid over 4K?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Uku

I think this is especially frustrating for anyone in the same situation as me. I'm a New Zealand full license holder for 5 years, now living here in Ireland. For some reason people from most countries (USA, Canada, NZ) but not some others (Australia, South Korea) have to go through the whole process of getting a drivers license from scratch. I imagine the decision of who does and doesn't have to go through the process is determined by accident rates etc but that's just a guess. In comparison, if I'd moved to the UK my understanding is that I could just switch to a UK license, and an Irish person moving to New Zealand with a full Irish license just needs to sit a theory test ( http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/factsheets/56.html )

Under the old system this didn't really matter too much to me, as I figured I'd be able to sit the theory, pass, have a handful of lessons on Irish roads and be ready to sit for my full license as soon as a practical test slot was available. But now it looks as though I will have to sit my theory test (which I booked a couple of days ago), wait six months to sit my practical, then be on the restricted for two years. Seems crazy to have to go through all that when I clearly have driving experience. I just hope they have some way of waiving the six month rule for people in my situation (or even better that the Irish government decides to recognise NZ licenses, which I can't see happening)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Goldenquick

I do agree with the new laws being introduced but I don't agree with the speed at which it is being brought in. The government has allowed people to drive unaccompanied now for years here, (I know it was against the law but it was not adhered to by the law in most places) but suddenly they expect people that have been driving like this, with their blessing I might add, to suddenly take a test and become a full licence holder by next Tues? There are not enough test centres in the whole of Ireland and England to accomodate the amount of people with provisionals through it on time.

Living in the country there is little or no public transport, many many people have no choice but to drive to work, what are they going to do come Tues. if this law is implemented, resign from their work - go on jobseekers benefit, lose their homes because they can't pay the mortgage, it's like a dominos effect. This should have been researched more with a more realistic time frame for it to be implemented.

Hobbes wrote: »
    about 40 euro a test these days. You paid over 4K?

no, I got them discounted through the college. At the time, the Mini Driver school had a deal with DCU where you got ten lessons for €200. I took the lessons during term time, obviously didn't have lessons at exam times, and paid 35 euro a lesson during the summer break when I was working. Yes it's alot, but at the time, and even now, I think it was worth it,

• Advertisement

So its the governments fault that people may lose their homes becasue these people didn't apply for or pass a driving test? Still the electorate cannot give out about the politicians doing their job - after all they were elected by the people!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement