Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do scumbags get away with it?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

hopalong85 wrote: »
    Typical ntlbellend post

I'll take that as a compliment sir!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Tazdedub

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't agree with this at all the "scumbags" otherwise known as poor people from disadvantage areas more than likely see themselves as being left behind by society. If you where the owner of a business and a scumbag walked in your door, would you hire him? Would you take the chance? They are almost completely segregated from the middle class (who have they're fair share of scumbags, they're just well dressed and given the benefit of the doubt) it's become an us against them situation and that's why they don't see any problems in kicking the **** out of people that they see having a better quality of life than them.

Scumlord, there are scumbags out there whose only goal in life was to become a scumbag. The point I was trying to get across is that no matter what you do for these people, they will just throw it all back in your face to stay a scumbag and it doesnt matter whether it is from a disadvantaged background or middle/upper class background. I have seen people from disadvantaged backgrounds take the help the government gave and have made a good life for themselves. I have seen the people with the attitude that its them or us and I think no matter what you give them or do with them they will never ever change. But I dont think that applies as to all disadvantaged people in disadvantaged areas.

I also dont think that it matters to an employer where a person comes from as long as they have the right qualifications and can do the job. As another poster says that people who want the job will make the effort to get the job but a scumbag isnt going to go for any job because they simply dont want a job. I know thats a shocking thing to say that some people dont want a job but I believe its true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Tazdedub wrote: »
    Scumlord, there are scumbags out there whose only goal in life was to become a scumbag. The point I was trying to get across is that no matter what you do for these people, they will just throw it all back in your face to stay a scumbag and it doesnt matter whether it is from a disadvantaged background or middle/upper class background. I have seen people from disadvantaged backgrounds take the help the government gave and have made a good life for themselves. I have seen the people with the attitude that its them or us and I think no matter what you give them or do with them they will never ever change. But I dont think that applies as to all disadvantaged people in disadvantaged areas.

So by this you're saying there is no "answer" to the scumbag problem? We will always have an element of "scumbagness" in our society no matter what we do?

ntlbell wrote: »
    So by this you're saying there is no "answer" to the scumbag problem? We will always have an element of "scumbagness" in our society no matter what we do?

Yep. No matter what you do for these people there will always be that element that want to inflict pain and misery upon the rest of society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Poco Loco wrote: »
    No, I don't think so. And others were with him but some of the gang distracted them while the rest of the gang beat him up and slashed his face and neck with a bottle. They are all very upset after it and said it was all over very quickly.

whilst its horrible what happened, how do you propose the guards tackle this one?

you said they have given up, but if your friend didnt see who did it, how exactly will they catch them?
    I'm talking about how they can have 13 different cameras on one street that all missed an incident because of one van in the way.

The only way this could happen is if every camera was on one side of the road or if they are all at one end, which would be down to gardaí incompetence.

well all of the cameras werent point in the same place, the van was probably blocking one or two key cameras, hardly their fault
    The gardaí have a control centre that mans those cameras. They have staff monitoring these. They could easily have moved another camera.

AFAIK, they dont have someone watching every single CCTV camera in the city, 24 hours a day.

thats awful what happened to you though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

The gardaí have a control centre that mans those cameras. They have staff monitoring these. They could easily have moved another camera.

Dirty Dave - They were all gardaí security cameras from what I've been told. I'm asking Arnotts to see if they can check theirs for me.
    Well, how many cameras are there in Dublin? How many people are manning them? The gardai can't have them all focused on you, just in case something happens. They have to watch over the entire city. If a van was blocking one camera, they the operator may not have seen anything and would have no reason to move another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭Poco Loco

event wrote: »
    whilst its horrible what happened, how do you propose the guards tackle this one?

you said they have given up, but if your friend didnt see who did it, how exactly will they catch them?

I guess CCTV is the only option. Now the gang arrived in a van as far as I know so surely that was caught on CCTV somewhere. I hope. It doesn't matter, I know there isn't a lot they can do.

I guess I just watch too much CSI and think everyone is as professional as them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭halfinch

Scumlord, there are scumbags out there whose only goal in life was to become a scumbag........

Do you think that at any point in a childs life they said ''when I grow up I want to be a scumbag''. They were placed in this enviroment and they may have been influenced by their parents or their neighbours....What we need to do is not to build more prisons or make them tougher what we need to do is work on rehabilitated minor criminals...i think a good way of doing this is by forcing the scumbags to face those who they offend against
    I live in what is terned a 'disadvantaged area' luckily I had the support and willpower to not go down that path....but I do know people in my area who do such things and refer to them as 'nice scumbags'.I think beating, robbing anything like can be defined as a scumbag.For someone who hangs around on the wall drinking these people have nothing better to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭nij

I don't want to go into it too much, but I've come to learn in recent years that the guards don't give a sh1t about solving or preventing crime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

DarkJager wrote: »
    I think its time we started to see vigilantism in this country. The government finds it okay to turn a blind eye, and the scumbags now think they are invincible, so how about a few groups go out and change that opinion. If a few of these boys who think its a laugh to beat someone up for no reason, were dragged out to the woods for a good beating with a golf club, it might send a nice message to their pals. People need to start getting a backbone, and if a scumbag comes looking for trouble, make sure they won't be walking away from it.

I've seen vigilantism being put into effect before....... Didn't work out very well.

The vigilantes in turn ending up being the scumbags. As do most of their associates, as they feel they're untouchable because of their big bad mates.

halfinch wrote: »
    Do you think that at any point in a childs life they said ''when I grow up I want to be a scumbag''. They were placed in this enviroment and they may have been influenced by their parents or their neighbours....What we need to do is not to build more prisons or make them tougher what we need to do is work on rehabilitated minor criminals...i think a good way of doing this is by forcing the scumbags to face those who they offend against
    I live in what is terned a 'disadvantaged area' luckily I had the support and willpower to not go down that path....but I do know people in my area who do such things and refer to them as 'nice scumbags'.I think beating, robbing anything like can be defined as a scumbag.For someone who hangs around on the wall drinking these people have nothing better to do

Halfinch, I do agree that scumbags should be forced to face their victims, more for the victims sake than for the scumbag as I believe and scumbag doesn't give a **** about facing their victims. What I do believe is that there should be harsher punishments that suspended sentances or spending a few weeks or months in jail. The punishments they get now are seen as a right of passage and not punishment. Doing a stint in prison is more of a holiday for these people, I firmly believe they should be made do some hard graft while in prison such as cleaning all the crap along the edges of motorways, clean gravity of walls that type of thing.

My own opinion is that most scumbags are work shy and if they are punished with having to do hard manual labour then maybe that will act as deterrent the next time they go to commit a crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

Yep. No matter what you do for these people there will always be that element that want to inflict pain and misery upon the rest of society.

And lol at those that think otherwise. The dark side of human nature unfortunately. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

nij wrote: »
    I don't want to go into it too much, but I've come to learn in recent years that the guards don't give a sh1t about solving or preventing crime.
    But that's your opinion. I've never had any problems with them. So we either go by you and say all gardai don't care about crime, go by me and say all gardai care about crime, or realise that gardai are people and each one is different. There are some very good guards out there. Don't let the bad ones overshadow them.

suspended sentances or spending a few weeks or months in jail. The punishments they get now are seen as a right of passage and not punishment. Doing a stint in prison is more of a holiday for these people, I firmly believe they should be made do some hard graft while in prison such as cleaning all the crap along the edges of motorways, clean gravity of walls that type of thing.

My own opinion is that most scumbags are work shy and if they are punished with having to do hard manual labour then maybe that will act as deterrent the next time they go to commit a crime.

Yip I agree.

Also what about bringing back the stocks. :D I reckon a few rotten tomatoes and being made the laughing stock in their local area would also be a good deterent.

luckylucky wrote: »
    Yip I agree.

Also what about bringing back the stocks. :D I reckon a few rotten tomatoes and being made the laughing stock in their local area would also be a good deterent.

Well basically anything that would make scumbags think twice about committing a crime against a person or anything that would make kids think twice about becoming a professional scumbag. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

These discussions always remind me of those deathwish films.
    If you look at the trouble America was having with street crime at the time it makes you understand how the films became so popular despite not being very good (in my opinion).

How about police actively scum hunting with stun guns and nets?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭junkyard

All prisons should be work camps and pay their way. Scumbags should be made pay their way, taxpayers shouldn't have to foot the bill. Prisons are too cushy and once a prison is signed in he or she shouldn't have any rights or be allowed to claim compensation from the state. Pretty soon you'd see the crime figures fall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Scumbags get away with it for the same reason that bullies do - no-one stands up to them at the time and it's too late afterwards to catch them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Why is it that scumbags can get away with things because they are scumbags?

It's quite simple.... They are scummy dregs of apparent human flesh & the Pendelum of Justice swings their way. Society owes them everything because it's societies fault they are the way they are. Didn't you know that?

TJ911...

PS. I hope your friend makes a full & speedy recovery.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Why is it that scumbags can get away with things because they are scumbags?

My friend was attacked on his way home from a night out at the weekend, for NO reason at all. He is still in hospital and will be for sometime more, scarred for life. The gardai reckon there is no chance they will find who did it.

How do they get away with this?
    Is there anything is friends/family could do now that the gardai have given up?
    And WHY are the gardai giving up?

Honestly, after this, I can see how gangs start and people take the law into their own hands. The gardai need to do something about it - that is what they are paid to do.

I wouldn't be so sure that the gardai have given up. Just because they have said there is no chance they will find who did it, by putting pressure on them they might investigate it more. It seems to have been a recent attack. When your friend recovers, ask him to think back and see if he can remember what the person who attacked him looked like. Same goes for the other people who were there. Get the gardai to visit nearby pubs/shops to see if they had CCTV which could ID the assailant.

By politely keeping the pressure on the gards they might continue to investigate it rather than letting it lie.

That said, the most important thing that your friend can do, whether the gardai investigate the matter further or not, is to try to move on with his life and minimise the impact it is having on him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Saturday night a few weeks ago, a bunch of knacker bitches just jumped two girls outside <Somewhere> on Patrick Street - literally just went for them because they happened to walk through the crowd hanging around there. Simply a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. One got a glass smashed into the side of her head, the other got tufts of hair pulled out, which drew blood. My mates and I were across the street when we saw it so we called the guards and an ambulance straight away. But while we were doing this, we could see what was going on. There was a whole bunch of people just standing around watching. It was absolutely disgusting. I know we were watching what happened but that was only for a few seconds while we were calling the emergency services, then we walked on. The people actually surrounding the girls were just being voyeurs. The bouncers didn't even intervene - my mate suggested this might be because men who put a hand on a female could get into trouble. But it's not as if there weren't tons of witnesses! The girls managed to get away and we went over to them. They were so shaken - it was quite upsetting to see. And they weren't from Cork, hence their lack of awareness that you do NOT walk by < Somewhere on > Patrick Street on a Saturday night. Although why the **** shouldn't you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Dudess wrote: »
    The people actually surrounding the girls were just being voyeurs.

Ya, Heard that about Pa-Na......... It seems to be a fairground for all after clubs kick out. Remind me again why I don't go into Cork city of a night time.... I wouldn't say you were being voyeurs as ye were calling the emer services but a lot of people would rubberneck a scrap for the enjoyment of it....

TJ911...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Orange 69, I don't believe it's that we are unimaginative and apathetic. I, for one, would love to beat the sh!t out of those guys who did that to him (even though I am only a small little girl and I haven't a hope) but what would it achieve? They would come find me, get me back, then I would have to get them back again...vicious circle.
    Orange69 hates Ireland and doesn't want to live here.
    I would take his comments with a pinch of salt.
    That said, with the current way of running this country, it does appear that NO punishment fits EVERY crime...
    There are no political parties who will change the status quo with regards to scumbags.
    You are fooling yourself if you believe any crap from any politician.

Orange(man)69 - Does your despising of the Irish people have anything to do with your alias?

And of course someone can be attacked for no reason at all, they are some s1ck fookers out there.
    Warning given.
    Attack the post, not the poster.

Although, your last point is correct.

Random attacks of violence are called that because that is exactly what they are.
    He was carrying a bottle of drink. So perhaps it was that. However, that was the bottle they used to destroy his face.

It could be cause he is gay but that's really just grasping at straws.

Simple as this - that gang saw this guy walking with his 2 friends and decided they are easy targets. They are easy targets! So that's the reason. This guy would not hurt a fly. It was all over in a matter of seconds. It's not like the gang didn't like yer man's shoes or whatever, and started slagging him and it became a fight that he lost. He actually just was set upon before he knew it was happening.

To the poster who was attacked on Abbey Street - I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope you're ok. Gosh you'd think you would be safe somewhere central like that wouldn't you? Hope you've recovered.
    I doubt they knew he was gay, just by looking at him. Unless of course he was engaging in homosexual activities at the time.
    Still no excuse, but the reasoning behind it was probably repressed homosexual tendencies on the part of one or more of the attackers.

The fact of the matter is, there are people out there who get a buzz from attacking others. Sad, but true.
    hopalong85 wrote: »
    Typical ntlbellend post
    Warning given.
    Yip I agree.

I'm 100% behind this.
    Humiliation is the way forward.

That and more prison spaces.

Thought my warning was a bit harsh, but then again I suppose I would wouldn't I :p.

Seriously though I was curious to know why Orange69 appears to detest Ireland so much. IMO it's certainly not a flawless country, but it's got a helluva lot of good points too. I live in Portugal now and I never run my country down like some people do.

I'm actually serious about bringing back the stocks btw. I don't think it's ever likely to happen, but sometimes the old ideas are the best.

Also an other poster's point on criminals should get sterlised, albeit harsh maybe not a bad point in theory. A large study done on identical twins adopted in seperate families in America showed criminality was 50% genetic and 50% environment. The Nazis gave that whole sort of thing a real bad name though.Also if there some sort of criminal genetic control enforced is you could be guaranteed that you would get some numpty ala John Delaney of the FAI running the thing. Imagine the kind of botch ups that could happen :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Terry wrote: »
    That and more prison spaces.
    In the concrete warrens of San Ramon, Zamboanga, occupancy level 156.4%! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

junkyard wrote: »
    All prisons should be work camps and pay their way. Scumbags should be made pay their way, taxpayers shouldn't have to foot the bill. Prisons are too cushy and once a prison is signed in he or she shouldn't have any rights or be allowed to claim compensation from the state. Pretty soon you'd see the crime figures fall.
    I agree totally, it would even be good for them to understand hard work some could probably even come out as skilled laborers. They're just a complete drain on the nation as it is. Why should we waste so much money on the worst element of society. They should have them working everywhere from roadworks to street cleaning it could end up saving the government millions.

Advertisement