Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which alcohol for Christmas Cake?

• 24-10-2007 2:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I apologise if this has been discussed before but I couldn't find it in any threads. I am about to start making a Christmas Cake as a nice surprise for my mother and cannot for the life of me remember which kind of alcohol my granny used to use. I have a feeling it is sherry.

Most recipes I have looked up online mention either whiskey or brandy, although some say you can use rum or sherry.

This may be a really silly question, but will it alter the taste very much depending on which you use?

So basically, would sherry be ok and if so what kind of sherry? Then if not, what would you recommend instead?

Thanks a million.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Sherry, Rum & Brandy would be the ones that I'd use. I wouldn't be too fussy myself as to the ratios of each - they are all yummy & wouldn't really overpower the taste of the cake as long as you don't drown it in alcohol. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭sudzs

I'd have said brandy or whisky.... or both! :D

Never heard of sherry being used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

Soaking the fruit in rum with a little dark muscovado gives a great flavour I find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 TScul

I always use rum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

My gran used to use whiskey and tea to soak the fruit, but when the cake was cooked, she would pour poitin over it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭cookiequeen

frangelico makes your cakes absolutely amazing!!!
    Its a lovely hazelnut liqueor

Advertisement