Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms in Limerick City

• 24-10-2007 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭

Just after moving into the new apartment complex by Jurys, looking for a decent gym. I'm not big into bodybuilding or owt, but just somewhere to go on the threadmill for 30 minutes and do a few free weights. Any ideas on good ones, with a good price?

Is MK fitness closed?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'm in JJB fitness out at the Childers Road shopping center, great gym, really good facilities. And if you join this weekend, you'll get a free bike!!! (psst...just say I recommended you too :D )

Outside of JJB, there are a few more including a gym in the Hilton and theres the gym in UL (avoid imho). I'm not sure about MK fitness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Lazers pew pew

cheers FG, i was a member in the UL one, got the summer deal, i stay well away from JJB, i lived right across the road from it and my mates are members there, he said it was nigh on impossible to get a machine in there, all the buff Russkis were hogging them fatgay.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,526 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

JJB is great, Lazers, but you have to pick your times. I think its fine in the morning before work, or at lunchtime for a quick mid-day workout.

However its nuts in the evening. You'll get a treadmill most of the time, but doing any weights is a pain in the ass (especially if you're doing supersets, drop sets etc where you need multiple weights/machines).

I work on the dock road and live practically there as well
    MK would be ideal but their phone number doesnt work, gets me thinking they've shut
    is le crunch closed?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Crunch is now a bank :(

• Advertisement

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Crunch is now a bank :(

a **** bank ?
    pounditrot.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

I was at JJB's all summer, found the great place and never once had to wait to use any machines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

1huge1 wrote: »
    I was at JJB's all summer, found the great place and never once had to wait to use any machines.

I have to say the opposite, I used the free weights section a lot and I was constantly waiting for benches etc. turned a 1 hour work out into 1 and a half easily

So much so in fact that I bought all my own equipment for home

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭trevufc

anyone been to the gym at grove island?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 desmondkenny

Hey Pew Pew - was looking for you for a fight, but no show!! :D

I'm in Ul - I have the advantage of having a girl who works in the college, so I admittedly get it cheap (€29 a month), but I have to say it's fine. Never have to wait too much for free weights, and not at all if you're early enough during the week or on the weekends.

Changing rooms are crap for space, unless you use the pool changing room, but then you can't really have a proper shower.

And the classes aren't really up for much - compared to gyms I've been in previously (most notably westpark fitness in Tallaght, best gym I've ever been a member in)

The one really great thing about UL is the pool - can't beat the 50m, and the hanging tracki

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 johnbeau

I am building a database of gyms across ireland so if you can recommend a great gym please let me know. This isn't a commercial site so it's free for the gyms and free for the users...but I do want to build it on strong recommendations. http://www.gymvisit.com/findagym.htm?loc=europe/ireland

And the classes aren't really up for much - compared to gyms I've been in previously (most notably westpark fitness in Tallaght, best gym I've ever been a member in)

Are you well in the head. Richierobics is a national treasure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Is there a Gym in the Marriott Hotel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Is there a Gym in the Marriott Hotel?

Savoy Aqua and Fitness Club

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel-information/fitness-center/snnmc-limerick-marriott-hotel/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 fergusm76

In relation to MK Fitness, I believe it's closed. I remember a piece in the Post or maybe the Leader stating that with the opening of so many gyms around (Punches, Quality, JJB etc) they (both MK and Quay Leisure - formerly Crunch) weren't getting the custom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Does anybody know of a list of good gyms on the Ennis road in Limerick really hate the taught of having to go into town in the mornings. The Green Hills sucks by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭sineadgalway

i think there is a new place calles dave sheahan fitness opened near mk on the dock road now, lots of ads in the post....I'm in the Quality hotel, handy for me in that its on the way home from work. Its not huge but has everything you need and never too busy (apart from January)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Ashfield

Well lads,
    just looking for some info on gyms in limerick,
    everything on the fitness forum is mainly leinster based,
    can anyone recommend a good relaxed gym where i can do some basic fitness exercises and some weights aswell?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

I was a member at jjb's gym for last summer, was highly impressed and not a single problem.

Though to be honest this has been discussed many time on this forum at this stage and a simple search will help you find what your looking for.

If your interested in JJB's gym pm me and I'll tell you everything you need to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 kram_araman

The University has a good Gym with a large pool and suspended indoor running track so you could check that out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

The hilton has a v.nice set up for what you're looking for....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

The Quality Hotel has a nice set up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭sharkDawg

i think there is a new place calles dave sheahan fitness opened near mk on the dock road now, lots of ads in the post....

Does anyone know if this place actually exists and what it is like?

I did PT with Dave for years and I can vouch for the guy. He changed my whole perspective on exercise.

Looks like his website is going through a revamp, but address and contact details are listed.

http://www.davesheahan.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭sharkDawg

Mr E wrote: »
    I did PT with Dave for years and I can vouch for the guy. He changed my whole perspective on exercise.

Looks like his website is going through a revamp, but address and contact details are listed.

http://www.davesheahan.ie/

Thanks Mr.E. I saw that alright, is his gym on Windmill Street? I'll give him a call

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Does anybody know of a list of good gyms on the Ennis road in Limerick really hate the taught of having to go into town in the mornings. The Green Hills sucks by the way.

It infact both sucks and blows..

Athough theres a nice little leg press id like to rob.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭CraftySue

Mr E, How much roughly was dave sheehan, for personal training. I have been trying to find info on personal trainers in limerick, with little success. dave Sheehan is the only name cropping up, but his website gives little info on the cost involved. thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

I've found the Trak Attack Circuits Training in UL really good - would that count as a class?

Anyone here a member of the Hilton's? Thoughts?

CerebralCortex, the Limerick Lawn Tennis Club actually have a fairly decently equipped gym, right on the Ennis Road, might be worth asking how much it is to join.

Had a look at that Dave Sheahan guy's website - one phrase bugged me: "Corporate Health." So what, do you need to own a 08 Merc and extensive share options and generally lead a lifestyle like Patrick Bateman before you can benefit from those training sessions? Thought it was a pretty pretentious phrase to use in relation to a gym.

CraftySue wrote: »
    Mr E, How much roughly was dave sheehan, for personal training. I have been trying to find info on personal trainers in limerick, with little success. dave Sheehan is the only name cropping up, but his website gives little info on the cost involved. thanks
    Not sure, Sue. I was getting a preferential rate the last time I was with him because I was a long time client. Not sure what he charges for new clients these days... why not give him a call?
    gaf1983 wrote: »
    Had a look at that Dave Sheahan guy's website - one phrase bugged me: "Corporate Health." So what, do you need to own a 08 Merc and extensive share options and generally lead a lifestyle like Patrick Bateman before you can benefit from those training sessions? Thought it was a pretty pretentious phrase to use in relation to a gym.

I don't think so, gaf. Corporate Health means group discount deals for companies. Nothing to do with yuppies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

My bad.

Advertisement