Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms in Limerick City

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Kess73 wrote: »

Hi kess,

Whats this place like? does it have a spa?

Cheers,
    Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 aidanshan

Hi, My name is Aidan Shanahan and I run Personal Training in JJB Fitness Club on the Childers Rd. State of the art equipment, really competitive rates and my personal assistance guarantee results. Give me a call on 085 7196609. Looking forward to hearing from you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 josullivan0hgmi

The Dave Sheahan gym on windmill street is where MK Fittness used to be. The swimming pool that was there in the MK days is now gone.
    I was in there this morning to have a look and inquire about joining. Looks good. More of a weights gym then a cardio, there are only 6 treadmills but shed loads of weights.

They also have 2 gyms opening in Shannon and the gym at the South Court Hotel. I was told membership of Windmill Street allows off peak use of the other 3 gyms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭sharkDawg

The Dave Sheahan gym on windmill street is where MK Fittness used to be. The swimming pool that was there in the MK days is now gone.
    I was in there this morning to have a look and inquire about joining. Looks good. More of a weights gym then a cardio, there are only 6 treadmills but shed loads of weights.

They also have 2 gyms opening in Shannon and the gym at the South Court Hotel. I was told membership of Windmill Street allows off peak use of the other 3 gyms.

Plus you get money off if you pay by standing order. I joined about a month a go and must say its a fantasic gym if a little cramped, definately more lifting than cardio orientated, which suits me, plus there are certain classes on in there which are not to be missed ;). Great atmosphere in the place too,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Hi,

where is the Dave Sheahan gym located? I have been in the JJB for the last couple of years and at the Crunch before that, so i'd like to change gym once in a while - it gives me a new injection of motivation!

Is it in town? Do they have good weight/machine equipment? I am not into cardio, so I don't really mind that....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

It's located down near Mount Kenneth house off Henry street. Not sure what type of gym it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 limerickliving

It's crazy the amount of people in JJB at the moment. 35 Euro for one month attracts alot of people.

I'd try to avoid it while this promotion is on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,526 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I was going to start a new thread about this, but this one would suit my question -

Whats the story with the JJB shop closing? Will this impact the gym at all?
    (I thought the 2 might come as a package - if one closes, what happens the other one?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 limerickliving

I'd be very surprised if JJB gym closes, it must be the busiest Gym in limerick. Aparantly JJB is closing 72 Shops between UK & IRE.

The Gym is surely a little goldmine.

I think so too, LL, but you'd never know.

I was in there last night, and I'd say there were at least 50 people if not more in there. It was packed.

• Advertisement

Bumping this up.

The situation is really desperate here, I went to check the Dave Sheahan both in the City Centre and in the South Court and you couldn't squeeze an extra person in there....there is no much room really and the machines are quite old, especially at the South Court - not impressed at all. I also went to check at Punches Cross, and well not much for weights training in there either.

My membership at JJB is due for renewal soon and unless I find something nice in town I will stay there.
    Money is not a problem, as this is my main hobby, but I can't believe these gyms charge more than the JJB!!! If JJB charges 10, they shouldn't be charging more than 4 for what they offer :eek:

Would you know any better place that I can check? Can't believe there is nothing decent apart from JJB in a city the size of Limerick :confused:
    Such a pity that they close the Crunch Fitness Club in town:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

UL!! ok its a little bit messed up at the moment as there waiting for the new floor..it is the best gym in limerick in my opinion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭irelandsown

I'm a member in JJB and its gone crazy. The crowd there tonight was unreal. There has to come a point where they cant take any more members. They are constantly showing people around though.

I didnt know the shop was closing. No wonder they gave me a new membership card for 2 euro that gives me 10% off in the shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Dont even bother with the gym at the Hilton. Its tiny with barely any equipment, and they tried to ask for about 70 a month. They dont even have a bench press.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Why not try Olympic Gold opposite Donkey Fords?

I didnt know the shop was closing. No wonder they gave me a new membership card for 2 euro that gives me 10% off in the shop.

:D They tricked you

RonMexico wrote: »
    Why not try Olympic Gold opposite Donkey Fords?

Hi, where is this located?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Its near St. Johns Hospital straight across the road from Donkey Fords. You have to go up a stairs. Can't think of the street name.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ciara_MoloneyPT

Hello my name is Ciara Moloney ... contact me via PM here on Boards for Personal Training Info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭styer

Does anyone know what the gym in the Quality hotel is like... does it get very busy?

• Advertisement

Hello my name is Ciara Moloney...
    Hi Ciara, free advertising is not allowed here (and its never ever ever a good idea to put your mobile number on the internet!), so I've edited your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Gazza1000

styer wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the gym in the Quality hotel is like... does it get very busy?

It's actually not bad. I'm a member there for the last year or so. The place itself is not massive, however they are managing the space pretty well. It can get busy, but if you can choose your times well, you'll never be stuck for machines. I find that the time to avoid is from 5pm - 7pm (Mon - Thur), most other times are fine. They have approx 15 treadmills, 5 fixed bikes (loads more for spinning classes). 3 rowing machines, 5 stair walkers and a selection of weight machines and free weights. The also have classes in a seperate room within the gym doing different work out routines. Pool facilities are pretty good also and the place is kept pretty clean - Hopoe this helps...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

UL!! ok its a little bit messed up at the moment as there waiting for the new floor..it is the best gym in limerick in my opinion...

I m as well a member of JJB and i have to say that JJB is much better then the UL gym.
    I v been to the UL gym as well and i think that it s not even as half as good as JJB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

If you are looking for a great personal trainer, I can refer one to you. He trained the UK Body for Life overall champion and is generally very good at what he does. PM me and I can give you his details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

this may be worth a read for those looking at JJB http://www.teamtestforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=47755#47755

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,449 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

JJB's is rapidly turning into a ****hole.
    Remember when it opened the staff was polishing everything spic and span.
    Now they just don't give a fcuk.
    The smell in the men's room and especially the toilets are atrocious.
    The roof has been leaking for the past 2 years and fcukall done about it bar placing a few buckets undernearth it.
    In the pool area 3 of the 4 showers have been broken for nearly 5 months and nothing done about it.
    Steamroom+Sauna+Jacuzzi+Pool are excellent though.
    Plenty of CV approx 15 treadmills which are very good..although speeds are way out of sync with what they display. Good amount of bikes /cross trainers although only 2 stairmasters.
    In the main gym the water fountain has been broken approx 9 months..another joke..every week there's someone coming to fix it.
    I still use it but as soon as the next handy gym opens up I'm outta there.
    Apparently the women's is in not better condition according to some of the girls who go there regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭celticfan32

Im looking for a personal trainer as my health has gone right out of control. I would be very grateful if anyone knows someone who is a good motivator and gets results !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

hey anyone know the story with the Dominator Gym around the corner from Gleesons Sports, they are advertising membership from 13 euro to 300 euro.

anyone have any more info on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ScurfDog

Has anybody been to or heard anything about the Grove Island gym? I'm thinking about joining in there just because its handy from work....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Reaganomical

recently joined Grove Island, it's fairly convenient for me. No problems, not particularly busy in the evenings or in the mornings (opens at 7am on Mon/Wed/Fri), has a pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi as well. My main activity is athletics so my requirements might differ to your own, but all in all, it's grand yeah.

Advertisement