Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms in Limerick City

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

ScurfDog wrote: »
    Has anybody been to or heard anything about the Grove Island gym? I'm thinking about joining in there just because its handy from work....

used to go there when i lived in Corbally,pretty good gym,busy enuf during the day.best heading there early as possible....was very quiet on the weekends tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

i used to be in grove island a couple years ago and it was grand but i noticed that the free weights were not that heavy, im over in that gym by windmill st and i swear there is only ever one other guy there, i only pay 30 euro a month direct debit and the amount of weights and benches are class, finished up in jjb sports there and you get a lot more value for money in the windmill place! only one propper bench in jjb compared to abou 6 or 7 in windmill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,526 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah, Windmill is very good. Dave adds the personal touch that is missing from the big gyms. I'm thinking of jumping ship from JJB. Sick of the broken machines and the treadmills have absolutely no grip on them at all (it feels dangerous running at any speed on them).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 badaulname

Hey guys...

I was a member of both UL and JJB

The gym in UL has aged considerably but even with that I find it a good gym. There is good equipment and facilities especially the running track. I find that UL is more geared towards the more serious patron rather than 'poser' which I like. Plenty of GAA, soccer and rugby players (men and women) about and no high dress code like I have found in other gyms!!:pac: Obviously there are peak times like other gyms in particular when students hit back in next few weeks and after Richies master class!

I was a member of JJB on two seperate occasions but with a years gap in between. It is incredibly busy there but my problem was always the air con being broken!!:mad: I found it extremely unhealthy with the amount of people working out with no air conditioning with only the fire escape door open! So hot at times it was like climate adjustment training on the cross-trainer! I worked in the shop as well for three years and air con was always broke as well...as far as I am aware it was cost issues from head office that preventing them from fixing it. Other than that it was nice gym with sound equipment but more poser than serious athlete bar the scary russian/polish contingent in the weights area:pac:

Should be changes in JJB gym soon enough as well as it now has to rebrand away from JJB to DW fitness due to change of ownership. The shop will still be called JJB as it now has seperate owners but still big question mark on its closure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭bSlick

Mr E wrote: »
    Yeah, Windmill is very good. Dave adds the personal touch that is missing from the big gyms. I'm thinking of jumping ship from JJB. Sick of the broken machines and the treadmills have absolutely no grip on them at all (it feels dangerous running at any speed on them).

JJB is a joke, I stick to the UL gym myself these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

I heard all the talk about jjb so said id try it and make my own mind up!
    Its fine if your there to train you wont be taking any notice of whats going on around the place!
    Equipment can break but lately they have been ok to fix stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 irishmatic

RHunce wrote: »
    hey anyone know the story with the Dominator Gym around the corner from Gleesons Sports, they are advertising membership from 13 euro to 300 euro.

anyone have any more info on it?

its actually 15 euro per week,13 with a bank holiday week...its great for weights,has everythin u need but really poor for cardio,no good bikes,one decent treadmill and d cross trainers arent great either but if you just need weights i would recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Im not looking forward to the rush in UL this evening once the students are back!!!! Still it dies off after 3 weeks. In my opinion its still one of the best equipped gyms around whether your the serious lifter type or just a general keep fit user its well laid out..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭houndsoflove

Paul Allen is a personal trainer in the Evolution Gym in the south court hotel in Raheen. €30 for 1 hour.

The gym is open 6am to 10am monday to friday and 8am to 8pm saturday and sunday. A day pass is €8 and you can come and go without paying another €8

It has no pool tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

Paul Allen is a personal trainer in the Evolution Gym in the south court hotel in Raheen. €30 for 1 hour.

The gym is open 6am to 10am monday to friday and 8am to 8pm saturday and sunday. A day pass is €8 and you can come and go without paying another €8

It has no pool tho.

that windmill gym im in is 7 euro for the day pass and that includes any classes that might be on!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 paul_k1

What jjb price ??? Is there a joinign fees ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

3 gym threads no less!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭timbertime

ciaraco wrote: »
    Try Evolution gym in the South Court Hotel! 061-225440

Whats the connection with The South Court Ciaraco? Out of your 6 posts 5 of them are contact details for the place?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

D-A-V-E wrote: »
    that windmill gym im in is 7 euro for the day pass and that includes any classes that might be on!

Is that the gym where Dave Sheehan is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

It has no pool tho.

Is that €30 for one hour of one to one training with him?

Ya the Evolution gym in the south court is very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

Not one but two gym threads....Hmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Firefox10 wrote: »
    Not one but two gym threads....Hmmm.

im sure there are at least 12 by now... i gave a detailed response to one that came up about 2 weeks ago have a search for that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Club Vitae Health and Fitness Club Limerick

http://www.maldronhotels.com/hotel-limerick/leisure.html

Has everything you are after plus free underground car parking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,526 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Gym threads merged.

• Advertisement

Hi Kesss73 Ya €30 for one hour training with paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Jessica-Rabbit

Dose anyone know what gyms in Limerick have vibroplates.. I heard the windmill gym have one .. is it any good???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

JJB has vibroplates and is only 250 for the year at the moment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

When I'm in Limerick I normally pop down to Olympic Gold across from Donkey Ford's. It's basic enough and the dressing room smells like rancid socks but has everything I need and it's great that you can pay per session. It's pointless me joining a fancy gym in Limerick for six months if I'm only in Limerick on weekends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

JJB has vibroplates and is only 250 for the year at the moment!

How has that gone so cheap?Whats the facilities like there nowadays?

Thinking of joining UL for the summer as its so close to work for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

I'm a member in JJB and I pay monthly. Have any existing members tried to renegotiate their memberships, seeing that new members are getting in their alot cheaper these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Golden Arrow

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I'm in JJB fitness out at the Childers Road shopping center, great gym, really good facilities. And if you join this weekend, you'll get a free bike!!! (psst...just say I recommended you too :D )

Outside of JJB, there are a few more including a gym in the Hilton and theres the gym in UL (avoid imho). I'm not sure about MK fitness.

I am in JJB fitnessit it has a great set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Alfagtamini

hi
    im living out the caherdavin side of limerick so im looking at the greenhills, strand or clarion. what one has the biggest pool and best gym. will be more into the swimming side than the fitness. also any ideas on price?

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I don't suppose there's a Crossfit gym anywhere in Limerick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mariotr87

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a gym in the very center of the city (the closer the better). My JJB membership is due for renewal this week. I think it's a great gym and good value, but having to take the bus is an expense as well, plus, I tend not to go as often as I should because it takes quite a long time to get there.

Are you aware of any good options in the center?

Thanks!

Advertisement