Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can anyone explain the point of this?

• 24-10-2007 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=41179

Basically the FIA has put a 10 year freeze on engine development. I know F1 has had problems recently and are trying to make it competitive, and that the big teams can afford more money to develope there engines, but is this not just standardising the cars and making it more like A1?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Catcher86

I heard a rumour that Ron Dennis was thinking of trying to form a breakaway Formula from F1. I think this might be why.

Personally I think this sounds a bit ridiculous. It seems that who ever has developed their engine the most by 2008, will have a dominant reign on F1 for 10 years.
    They say they are "encouraging the sport's manufacturers to pursue performance gains through KERS and other socially-relevant technology advances."
    But if their engine is'nt up to scratch, then everything else is irrelevent, and "socially-relevant technology advances" sounds a bit vague at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

And what impact would the withdrawal of a major engine supplier have in this situation ? It wouldn't affect the likes of Ferrari, Renault and BMW who supply engines for their own teams, but it would leave McLaren in a vulnerable position if Mercedes decided to leave F1 because I couldn't see the likes of BMW and Ferrari wanting to supply a competitive engine to a major rival for the championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,398 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Well the v10's were around for 10 years, so while it sounds like a long time, it's probably not a bad solution to have a standard engine spec and focus on other technologies.

While i do agree with having the spec fixed, I do think having no developement at all might be unfair to the weaker teams, they're basically stuck with a weaker engine for 10 years. But then again it will stop the top teams opening up even more of a gap in engine performance if development continued.

my understanding is the engine freeze began a year go, at the end of the 2006 season... but maybe somebody can correct me if thats wrong...

Advertisement