Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who should pay for damage in rented property?

Options
  • 24-10-2007 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

I let an apartment out for my brother. They are there about 3 months now. A family of 4 and another single person. Guy asked me to put locks on the bedroom doors so I just put those old style slide little locks ( like ones we used to have on bathroom doors ) drill little hole in door frame to stick bolt into - very light locks.

Got a call from tenant today to say that, single person in room had locked door last weekend ( you lock door from inside ) and couldnt open again, had to pull door handle off and it is now broken - needs me to fix lock and buy and fit new door handles.

Im just bot really sure how this works, im just looking for advise, should I pay for a new lock and door handle and replace them myself?

Thanks guys :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

Normal wear and tear is paid by the landlord while damage is paid by the tenant.

However, unless the single tenant is ver weak or stupid or forced the lock somehow, it looks like the door lock really did jam, indicating that the lock wasn't correctly fitted or broke in nomal usage because it was too cheap. I would give them the benefit of the doubt and refit the lock or pay a locksmith to fit a lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Sounds like the lock was not put on properly otherwise it wouldn't have been a problem to unlock. I hardly suspect the op was a professional carpenter or otherwise an expert in lock installation.

The ops brother should pay as ultimately he would have had to pay for a professional job otherwise.

Advertisement