Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3yr old with tooth infection

Options
  • 24-10-2007 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Our daughter has a tooth infection.We got anti biotics at a clinic and will have get a physical done to find out if she suitable for anesthetic.Afterwhich we wait 6 months for an appointment.
    Is there an alternative? Like going to a private Hospital or surgery and having the tooth extracted? Dont these private offices have access to this anesthetic?
    We are in the Galway area.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Hi Wannabehome. I hope you didn't think you were being ignored.... I don't think anyone knows the answer.

I just googled "dentist Galway" and got this list

http://www.galway.net/galwayguide/service/health/dentist/

You'll see a listing for a paediatric dentist Dympna Daly about 3/4 way down the page. Maybe you could just give them a ring and ask?
    Sorry I can't be more help.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ceidefields

I would definitely get a second opinion from a private dentist. Normally they wouldn't charge much just to have a look and advise you what you should and cost etc.

I've had a few tooth infections as an adult and trust me, you want to get this treated as soon as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

wanabehome wrote: »
    Our daughter has a tooth infection.We got anti biotics at a clinic and will have get a physical done to find out if she suitable for anesthetic.Afterwhich we wait 6 months for an appointment.
    Is there an alternative? Like going to a private Hospital or surgery and having the tooth extracted? Dont these private offices have access to this anesthetic?
    We are in the Galway area.

Poor little mite, hope it isn't to painfull. In my opinion go to the denstist as soon as possible. I myself would not wait, are there more issues here such as alergies to anesthetic? which would suggest your concern? If not go for the dentist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Have you phoned the dental clinic at Shantalla?

Dentists will not want to extract a tooth while an infection is present so the antibiotics will buy you time.

If you haven't already do so phone the clinic in Shantalla and just say your daughter is currently taking antibiotics and that you're very concerned about the waiting list and the chance of the infection returning before she gets an appointment.

Appeal to the good nature of the receptionist ;)

Did they mention gas and air?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 wanabehome

Did they mention gas and air?[/QUOTE]

Gas
    The morning we took her in,we called shantalla and they told us to go to this Dr. that was visiting the local area clinic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 CHELSEA-H-L

hey

My daughter had an infection to her front four teeth they didn't know why they were just chipping a way but I went to the dentist for the under 16 in my local social welfare building on the Thursday and i was sent with her ta the dental hospital in st james hospital in the city centre on friday the very next day ..but she did not need a physical done before she got the general anaesthetic.
    like your lil one.......i was just asked if she had a cold that was it.....and she was in and out with in 30 minutes...so i cant c why u weren't sent ta your local dental hospital straight away ....i would just keep going back and complain cause it should b sorted straight a way.....

Well the gum just slightly swollen over the tooth and it has a pimple that s leaking pus :(( ...we dont know what to do really. She s not in pain tho. but we cant touch the area at all,while brushing.
    We are thinking to go into Merlin hospital. Should i call first or should we just take her to University hospital ER?
    Does anyone have any phone numbers for these places including shantalla??? or anywhere else

We got another dosage of antibiotics and they say they will move her up on the list ie 3months wait. Isn't it amazing that theres only one hospital in Galway that is administering anaesthetic for kids extractions!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

it's maybe not to do witht he actual anaesthetic. Trying to find an anaesthetist who is A) experoenced enough and B) ballsy enough to administer a general anaesthetic to kids is really tough.

Anaesthetising a small child is really difficult, and is risky if done in the wrong hands.

We finally got a date for the extraction I am so worried.Anyone out there that had their child under general anesthesia before?
    I am afraid i will cry through out the whole thing and cause my daughter to become upset :(

Any advice will be appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

wanabehome wrote: »
    We finally got a date for the extraction I am so worried.Anyone out there that had their child under general anesthesia before?
    I am afraid i will cry through out the whole thing and cause my daughter to become upset :(

Any advice will be appreciated
    No experience of this in particular, but I have to say that the health care that I have recieved for my little one on other more minor issues has been second to none. The health care in Ireland is actually quite good in my experience so maybe you can take comfort in that.

Thats how my daughter's tooth got infected,First it was fractured(bumped into a desk) then 1 yr later it got infected, 3 months after she s getting it extracted

Everythiing went well. She s back to her usual self eating etc
    The gum when the tooth got extracted from is really black like in the socket not sure whats going on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

That's normal but don't disturb it

Advertisement