Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How much for new trackrod for SEAT Cordoba?

Options
  • 24-10-2007 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭

Hi I've just found out that my left front trackrod is bent and has to be replaced. Does anyone know roughly how much this should cost to replace and whether I'd be better going to a private mechanic rather than main dealer?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

About 40 euro, give or take for the track rod end, a half hour labour to fit it and then an additional fee to have the car tracked

It could be around the 100 euro mark, give or take!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Torq

land9 wrote: »
    About 40 euro, give or take for the track rod end, a half hour labour to fit it and then an additional fee to have the car tracked

It could be around the 100 euro mark, give or take!

Think you mis read the OP, the rod is bent not the rod end. This could be much more costly depending on the design of the steering rack. It may be possible just to replace the rod or worst case scenario it could be a new/reconditioned or 2nd hand rack. For the rod to be bent the wheel must have taken a good hit, there may also be other suspension/steering damage lurking underneath.
    Keep well,
    Torq

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Depends on age of car, OP. If it's old, get one from a scrapper without frontal damage but fit a new end regardless. Be sure you haven't split/ pinched a tyre or a buckled your wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I priced a track rod for a Renault before, it was 95 quid plus VAT plus fitting from a main dealer. I'd expect the parts for the Cordoba to be a little cheaper.

Also, it's probably a good idea to get the rods on both sides done at the same time even if only one is bent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

A track rod should cost roughly the same as a track rod end (although, I have been known to be wrong on occasion:D) Labour and tracking should still be the same. This price is assuming that nothing else has been damaged (wishbone, wheel, suspension strut, etc.)

I was thinking how the f**k did he bend a track rod end!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Cheers lads it's a 05 Cordoba. I went in to get a new tyre yesterday and then found out that the tracking was off, and I had to replace the two front tyres as well getting the tracking done. Which is when I found out that the track rod was bent.

I don't remember any specific bang but I have been away a couple of times and lent my car while I was away. Fingers crossed that it's just the track rod and not anything more serious. Though I can see more of my hard earned going away as I type this!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

05 Cordoba....to get A new tyre

Fingers crossed that it's just the track rod and not anything more serious.

New car with busted track rods? Getting ONE tyre at a time?????

Begone, Lostinblanch- We don't like your type around here:D.

Tyres work best in pairs so you only did what was necessary.

You really should get it fixed up at a main dealer with new parts, being such a new car.

Garage shouldn't have tracked the car if it needed more new ends cos they'll have to do it again when you get the steering fixed. You could maybe get them to do it again for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

cantdecide wrote: »
    New car with busted track rods? Getting ONE tyre at a time?????

Maybe I wasn't clear in my first post. I didn't know about busted trackrod when I went in to get a new spare tyre, seeing as the original had to be replaced. Then I decided to get the tracking tested, and the busted trackrod was brought to my attention so I had to get another two tyres. Three in total.:(
    Tyres work best in pairs so you only did what was necessary.
    I know that and while I don't want to be throwing money away if I don't have to, I reckon money spent on good tyres would be cheaper than getting the car fixed if it crashed.
    You really should get it fixed up at a main dealer with new parts, being such a new car.
    That's what I was thinking, but just wanted to see what people on here would say.

Advertisement