Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Review: Continental Airlines

• 24-10-2007 12:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭

mick_irl wrote: »
    <snip>.... I'm heading at the end of Nov for a week and got flights for 300 with continental.

Prepare to get your bags lost, get bumped off your flight home and receive the worst service ever... I refuse to fly with that excuse for an airline...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Prepare to get your bags lost, get bumped off your flight home and receive the worst service ever... I refuse to fly with that excuse for an airline...

I'm flying with them in a couple of weeks. They aren't that bad are they? What happened to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Flown with Continental before and never had any hassle.

Found American Airlines to be the worst for service on trans-Atlantic. Their planes on internal flights were filthy too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 broadwaybaby

Flew with Continental before and the plane were on time , clean , food was good compared with other airlines. However we got there 2 and a half hours before and were told we couldn't sit together . I was in row 7 , my mother was back in 26 and we were told we should have called to pre-book seats . I talked to some others at the baggage claim and a good few of them had pre-booked so do that I was also asked to move 3 times as people were given seats rows away from their children. The flight attendants were lovely though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

stephen p wrote: »
    I'm flying with them in a couple of weeks. They aren't that bad are they? What happened to you?

I've had to use them on a good few occasions for work due to my schedule, i.e. if i didn't take them I wouldn't get where I needed to be on time..

Used them transatlantic and internally in the states.

First off their staff are pretty bad, especially in ticketing and customer services areas. I've had colleagues who were told they had to spend a night in the airport as they had missed their connection, which was the airline's fault. They should provide a hotel etc...

I personally have been bumped off flights and had to wait until the next day with them. They are well known in the states to overbook flights. They don't seem to care what your plans are etc. Customer service in this area is a disgrace. Tough cookies if you dont get on the plane.

That's just the tip of the iceberg. I have never had a smooth flight with them without some sort of drama with regards to bags, over booking, rude staff, lateness (happens on all airlines I know), crap food, average inflight service..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Splitting this off from the NY megathread as it's going off topic...but you can continue to rant about Continental in this one :D

• Advertisement

Being bumped off a internal flight in the US is a regular thing with all their airlines. They overbook and will tell you you have no seat when you show up . It is terrible but they all do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Flew with them to Newark a few years ago and found them ok

Is it possible to check in online with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Not on their flights departing from Dublin or Shannon apparently..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Dear me this doesn't sound good:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Would anyone how has used them before recommend using them over Aer Lingus considering their flights are about €150 cheaper? Would we end up regretting not spending the extra €150 for AL?

I've heard mixed reports about AL on transatlantic flights too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Flew with them a good number of times long haul and found them really good.
    I have flow Aer Lingus, Northwest, United, and BA transatlantic and Continental was better than any of them.

wouldn't pay the extra 150 . As long as your safe thats all that matters and they are not that bad!

Before I ring Continental, is it possible to bump up to first/business class if I pay extra and if there's seats available?

Yes it is possible, but be prepared to pay approx 1200 extra each way per person.

Is it worth it?

All the transatlantic carriers offer pretty much the same in economy now. I've flown with Aer Lingus twice this year to JFK. First time, I got the new shiny plane which had the tv screens in the headrests. Second time I was on the old plane. Food on both was rubbish and on the second flight, they forgot to serve breakfast! So was prety hungry when I landed in Dublin at 5am. All the US airports have cafes that serve lunch box type meals that you can bring on board. Stock up before hand!

In March, flew to Chicago with American Airlines. By far, the worst transatlantic service I ever had. I posted here a few months back about this, but when they were doing the dinner service, the steward asked if i wanted "brown stuff or yellow stuff"?

When I queried what this "stuff" was, he said "this is American Airlines, it's just brown stuff or yellow stuff". Turns out it was a beef stew or chicken curry. Internally, their planes are old and dirty. Best internal service I've been on before is Ted - the budget wing of United.

I flew Continental a few years back, and am flying them again this Nov. So far, from all the long hauls I've done (Aer Lingus, US Airways, American Airlines, United), they were the best of the lot.

Ok think I'll stick to ecomony lol

I just noticed on the Continental website that the TV screen is overhead so I presume its shared?? I was on a British Airways plane 3 years ago to NY and had a TV screen in front of me in the head rest which was deadly. Don't fancy the idea of sharing a TV screen, I'd like the option to flick :mad:

The aircraft for the flights I am booked on are - 757-200

So I think you are right, overhead screens:

https://www.continental.com/web/en-US/content/travel/inflight/aircraft/752.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Flew with them 4 times in the last 2 weeks (2 transatlantic, and 2 connections) and had no hassle. Flight from Shannon to Newark was overbooked though (they were trying to persuade people to switch to a later Aer Lingus flight).

All continental flights had overhead TV's every 6 rows or so.... I had my media player, DS, and a good book, so I wasn't bothered.

Mr E wrote: »
    Flew with them 4 times in the last 2 weeks (2 transatlantic, and 2 connections) and had no hassle. Flight from Shannon to Newark was overbooked though (they were trying to persuade people to switch to a later Aer Lingus flight).

All continental flights had overhead TV's every 6 rows or so.... I had my media player, DS, and a good book, so I wasn't bothered.

Book and ipod it is then...

I've never had problems with over-booking on flights and I hope I don't this time. How does it get over-booked?
    The aircraft for the flights I am booked on are - 757-200

So I think you are right, overhead screens:

https://www.continental.com/web/en-US/content/travel/inflight/aircraft/752.aspx

That's the same aircraft I'm flying on. Suppose at least its only 2 rows across, don't like planes that have 3-4-3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Just back from flying with Continental to Newark. Entertainment was rubbish - one small screen between nine people - but aside from that they were fine. Overbooking flights is fairly standard for all airlines doing transatlantic - they usually offer $400 plus later flight to people who volunteer to stay on. Personally I think it's worth being bumped for that:) but my flight had spare seats so wasn't offered it. Also, no stupid Shannon stopover. I find Aer Lingus vastly overrated, it's absolutely awful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭smurfbaby

I flew with Continental to NY last Christmas, horrible experience that I never wish to repeat. Flight over was ok, the plane was quite old fashioned but we had no major complaints. However when we checked in at Newark for the return flight (3 hours before flight was due to go) we noticed that we had no seat numbers on the ticket. I went to the desk and enquired why this was, and the woman barked at me 'The flight is overbooked, now can you PLEASE sit down we are doing everything possible to ensure that you can get on this flight'. I was stunned by her agressiveness and manner, I genuinely wasn't trying to cause trouble I'd just never had the experience of an overbooked flight before and was unsure of what was happening. I wasn't sure why we were being bumped off and she said it was up to us to ring Continental a week before hand to confirm our seats :confused: It was like she had realised the flight was overbooked, and was expecting to take lots of sh*t from people, so instead of being defensive she decided to go on the attack! Eventually some people gave up their seats in return for vouchers etc, and the flight took off an hour late. I was so shocked by the way she treated passengers that I called their customer service department to complain the following day, who eventually sent me out a standard letter of apology.

The overbooking itself wasn't a problem, all it took was a polite member of staff to explain what was happening, and what they were going to do! A lot of people became very angry when speaking to this woman, she was incredibly rude, and the other staff just looked on. I know we probably had an unlucky experience, and I wouldnt necessarily discourage other people from flying Continental, but I personally never will again.

Flying Delta this year, hope I have better luck!

(BTW, have flown American Airlines before and they were fine)

smurfbaby wrote: »
    I flew with Continental to NY last Christmas, horrible experience that I never wish to repeat. Flight over was ok, the plane was quite old fashioned but we had no major complaints. However when we checked in at Newark for the return flight (3 hours before flight was due to go) we noticed that we had no seat numbers on the ticket. I went to the desk and enquired why this was, and the woman barked at me 'The flight is overbooked, now can you PLEASE sit down we are doing everything possible to ensure that you can get on this flight'. I was stunned by her agressiveness and manner, I genuinely wasn't trying to cause trouble I'd just never had the experience of an overbooked flight before and was unsure of what was happening. I wasn't sure why we were being bumped off and she said it was up to us to ring Continental a week before hand to confirm our seats :confused: It was like she had realised the flight was overbooked, and was expecting to take lots of sh*t from people, so instead of being defensive she decided to go on the attack! Eventually some people gave up their seats in return for vouchers etc, and the flight took off an hour late. I was so shocked by the way she treated passengers that I called their customer service department to complain the following day, who eventually sent me out a standard letter of apology.

The overbooking itself wasn't a problem, all it took was a polite member of staff to explain what was happening, and what they were going to do! A lot of people became very angry when speaking to this woman, she was incredibly rude, and the other staff just looked on. I know we probably had an unlucky experience, and I wouldnt necessarily discourage other people from flying Continental, but I personally never will again.

My god! This sounds like the exact same person who was at the desk for my Newark to Dublin flight... I had the exact same experience, just as you have said here....

Thats a terrible experience. Is it a neccessity to ring and confirm the flight with them? Could I reserve seats over the phone? I booked through lastminute.ie.

stephen p wrote: »
    Thats a terrible experience. Is it a neccessity to ring and confirm the flight with them? Could I reserve seats over the phone? I booked through lastminute.ie.

I would just to be on the safe side. You should have a booking confirmation number. That should do the trick... also if you give your name and details etc they'll have your information in their system.

Rang there, got transferred to the US. They have my details. I can ring 24hours in advance to reserve seats. I want an aisle seat for the girlfriend so I better make sure she gets one or else I'm dead :eek: :D

Ringing the airline to confirm your tickets is pretty standard practise for internal flights in the USA.

Never had to do it before for trans-Atlantic.

You def don't have to do it with Aer Lingus. Just looked at my Continental e-ticket and it says nothing about having to re-confirm that I am travelling.

.... Just looked at my Continental e-ticket and it says nothing about having to re-confirm that I am travelling.

It was the same for me alright. It didn't state anywhere on my e-ticket that you had to re-confirm.... Seems like you have to though with Continental

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭smurfbaby

I don't think it's 100% necessary, it only becomes an issue if a flight is overbooked. I think the lady I'm talking about used it as an excuse to try to put the blame on me, rather than simply admit that the flight was overbooked. She said that I should have called to confirm and reserve a seat, and because she was so arrogant and rude I asked her to point this out in the terms and conditions, or booking confirmation. Her response was 'Its not there, because EVERYONE knows you're supposed to do it'. :confused:

When we eventually were allocated seats I asked the lady how I could contact customer service to make a complaint and she sneered 'I got you on the flight didnt I' :mad:

By the way, can anyone explain the logic behind overbooking to me? Surely once a seat is paid for it's irrelevant whether the person flies or not? Why do they overbook to make sure seats are full?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Flew with Delta to Austin in May, via Atlanta (and Shannon:mad:).
    Had the communal TV,otherwise very pleased with service/staff.
    Overbooked on the way home, and they offered vouchers and hotel night.

• Advertisement

I don't think it's 100% necessary, it only becomes an issue if a flight is overbooked. I think the lady I'm talking about used it as an excuse to try to put the blame on me, rather than simply admit that the flight was overbooked. She said that I should have called to confirm and reserve a seat, and because she was so arrogant and rude I asked her to point this out in the terms and conditions, or booking confirmation. Her response was 'Its not there, because EVERYONE knows you're supposed to do it'. :confused:

When we eventually were allocated seats I asked the lady how I could contact customer service to make a complaint and she sneered 'I got you on the flight didnt I' :mad:

By the way, can anyone explain the logic behind overbooking to me? Surely once a seat is paid for it's irrelevant whether the person flies or not? Why do they overbook to make sure seats are full?

Statistically there are 'always' a certain amount of people that don't turn up for a flight for a various amount of reasons. Some airlines (in particular continental as we have both found out :p ) overbook flights to make the max amount of money possible on each flight...

Usually the people that don't turn up have flexible tickets and they are normally re-booked on other flights (mostly business travelers whose schedules change a lot), so if they don't turn up there will be a free seat. If they overbook, they get the maximum amount of people possible on the flight and the maximum amount of profit... an empty seat is lost revenue.

As far as I know according to their algorithms etc, if you book further in advance, you are more likely not to turn up for the flight. There are also other factors as well, but this seems to be the main one...

Advertisement