Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What is wrong with my oil?

Options
  • 24-10-2007 5:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭

Right, driving a 99 golf(as im sure people know with all my posts about it here). I am having a problem with my oil light. Whenever i go around a long bend i get 3 beeps and the light flashes and then goes off. I put a litre of oil into the car last wednesday and the light was going off again by sunday. Its very very annoying. There is no visible leak when i move the car(there is none on the ground).

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

check the oil level and if fine its probably due to the sensor being too high and due to the fact that you are taking a long turn the sensor can not reach the oil so the light comes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

did you check your oil level with the dipstick?

if the oil level is fine, it could be a faulty sensor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Melion wrote: »
    Right, driving a 99 golf(as im sure people know with all my posts about it here). I am having a problem with my oil light. Whenever i go around a long bend i get 3 beeps and the light flashes and then goes off. I put a litre of oil into the car last wednesday and the light was going off again by sunday. Its very very annoying. There is no visible leak when i move the car(there is none on the ground).

Any ideas?

What was your oil level by Sunday?

The "oil light" measures oil pressure not oil level normally. Not familiar with the golf but I'd be surprised if it was different.

It is possible that if your oil level is very low, that it is falling below the intake point in the sump on a long bend due to the centrifugal force. Your oil would want to be seriously low for this to happen.

Check your oil level and see is it being lost through consumption rather than a leak.

If the level is normal, then it is possible that the sensor is faulty but it could also be something pump related or even electrical on the connection from the sensor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

My sister's Mk 4 Golf used to go through an astonishing amount of oil - a litre every 600 miles or so IIRC. It was a low mileage car and used more oil than I'd consider normal from day one. You really need to check the dipstick before speculating further.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Melion wrote: »
    I put a litre of oil into the car last wednesday and the light was going off again by sunday.

Any ideas?

You haven't mentioned the colour of this warning light. If it is yellow then it is oil level, if it is red then it is oil pressure.

It could be one of a few faults.

1. Oil pressure low due to a gummed up oil sump strainer.
    2. Oil pressure low due to worn main journals/bearings (your engine should sound like a jack hammer!)
    3. Faulty senders - both pressure and level - not uncommon on a VW.

The fact that you mention that it happens as you round a corner seems to indicate pressure - or at least oil pick up from the sump. No matter what, you should have it checked ASAP because if it is a pressure/pick up problem then it could do serious damage in a short space of time.

You say you put a litre in, but what was the oil level before and after. Ensure your oil level is at the max.

What engine variant do you have and what is the mileage on the engine?

• Advertisement
Advertisement