Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling in Luas lanes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I know it's an old thread but I'm sure most people will have heard the radio adds telling people you are not allowed cycle on lie as tracks released by the operators.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

alentejo wrote: »
    I cycle down Dawson street every day and have done so for years.

I have a horrible feeling that when the new Luas cross City is complete, I will be forced off this road.

You won't be forced off it, but you will need your wits about you as the Dawson Street-Nassau Street corner is likely to be very tight, with cyclists parallel to the rails. I believe the final design still hasn't been agreed, but options are limited.

Then again, will you need to be any more aware than you currently need to be, with the pock-marked and rutted surface that's been deteriorating for a number of years? Unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I work in spencer dock area.

I notice the luas line also allows cars on it in certain parts along by Upper Mayor Street

I presume if a car is allowed on the line a bike is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Only on certain bits where the luas runs on a road open to traffic as bits of the red line are. I find the luas track really uncomfortable and bumpy to cycle on. I also went arse over tit with 2 bottles of wine (I had gotten given - free wine :mad:) in my bag a few years ago on Hardcourt street. Wheel went into the line and that was the end of my uprightness and wine :(
    I avoid the luas lines like the plague now mainly for reasons of bumpiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

OldBean wrote: »
    On another note, can we bring our bikes on the Luas yet?
    Only folding bikes, if they are covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

gadetra wrote: »
    Only on certain bits where the luas runs on a road open to traffic as bits of the red line are. I find the luas track really uncomfortable and bumpy to cycle on. I also went arse over tit with 2 bottles of wine (I had gotten given - free wine :mad:) in my bag a few years ago on Hardcourt street. Wheel went into the line and that was the end of my uprightness and wine :(
    I avoid the luas lines like the plague now mainly for reasons of bumpiness.

Fair play to you for cycling with two bottles of wine - I'm not sure I'd be able to walk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Just shows you that in the 7yrs since this thread was created nothing has been done to improve cycling on the Quays. Which are probably one of the busiest cycling routes in the city. But at the same time probably a major disincentive to cycling to work for large numbers of people.

Incidentally the cycle lanes from custom house to the point on the quayside are gibbering confused mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

buffalo wrote: »
    Fair play to you for cycling with two bottles of wine - I'm not sure I'd be able to walk!

The real trick would be the cheese board.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I know it's an old thread but I'm sure most people will have heard the radio adds telling people you are not allowed cycle on lie as tracks released by the operators.
    to be fair, unwary cyclists have been caught out cycling on the luas tracks with accidents caused by them dropping their wheels into the tracks.

that said, i was once told that a lot of cities, when they lay new recessed tram lines, put a heavy rubber flange on them which prevent bike wheels from getting caught.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

buffalo wrote: »

I was carrying them in my bag, after the spill they emptied themselves over me and bag. Red wine. I looked like I'd been murdered.

It probably happened because I didn't have a cheeseboard to protect me ;)

The rubber in the tracks seems a good idea, seems like a good idea for Dawson street?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

gadetra wrote: »
    My claim to fame was carrying two bottles of wine and a cake (winnings from a table quiz) in the basket of a Dublin Bike through Dublin city centre at 11.30pm on a busy Friday night. Cue lots of rattles, clinks, stares etc, but I did make it back to the Luas eventually.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I put the wine in the bottle cages, my old bike was better as it had two bottle holders.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

to be fair, unwary cyclists have been caught out cycling on the luas tracks with accidents caused by them dropping their wheels into the tracks.

that said, i was once told that a lot of cities, when they lay new recessed tram lines, put a heavy rubber flange on them which prevent bike wheels from getting caught.

That would be ideal, but since LUAS is a private company and is not regulated by the government I would say they wont take any action to improve conditions for cyclist. They dont want to encourage cycling on the tracks in any way.

For the red and green line, sure I can understand that, but now there are tracks being laid everywhere, soon enough cycling over LUAS tracks is going to be unavoidable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Victor wrote: »
    * Trams can stop rather quickly in an emergency situation - I'm not sure if they have brake lights, so keep well back.

When the ads for Luas drivers came out recently I was chatting with a bus driver and asked her was there much interest (after all the "millionaire overpaid Luas driver" andrewmartins). She shuddered and said not her, anyway; she said with a bus you had a chance to stop, but with the Luas… pedestrians are always wandering across in front of it, and the sheer weight and the fact that you're on rails means it's almost impossible to stop in time.
    mikemac wrote: »
    Why would residents be against cycle tracks? :confused:
    • They want to park their cars outside their homes, as is their Constitutional right (or so you'd imagine)
    • They want their kids to play in the streets safe from raging Lycra-clad speed maniacs (when did you last see kids playing in most streets?
    • They don't want wough types fwom working-class estates coming thwough theiw nice subutbs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

oxygen wrote: »
    but since LUAS is a private company and is not regulated by the government
    oh, they are regulated. they're operating under licence.

Advertisement