Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Small claims court timeframes, registar altering the rules

• 24-10-2007 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hypothetical situation folks.

A small claim was submitted online at the end of September and the claim was served on the respondent on the 1st of October. The respondent had 15 days according to the rules to enter a response i.e. a defence. After 15 days the claimant may seek a summary or default judgement against the respondent. The respondent in this case did not file a response with the time allowed.

The claimant contacts the small claims registrar 21 days after service of the complaint with a view to obtaining a summary judgement and is told that he has to allow 4 to 6 weeks for the respondent to respond and only then may he seek a summary judgement.

Questions:

1. Can the registrar ignore the 15 day limit set out in statute law? Can he extend the time allowed for a defence to be filed where no response has been received from the respondent? Can he make the claimant wait long beyond the statutory period before allowing him to apply for a judgement?

2. Can the claimant who is unhappy with the registrar’s response do anything about the situation?

I am not seeking legal advice and I will not take any replies received as legal advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Hypothetically one would swear an affidavit of debt and file it with the court in accordance with Order 53A Rule 11 of the District Court Rules:

http://www.courts.ie/rules.nsf/0c609d7abff72c1c80256d2b0045bb64/5086944af36039ec802572980050cea4?OpenDocument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What if they won't accept that, esp if he is not following the rules?

How legally can the registrar deviate from the district court rules?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Let's say a Hypothetically (not really existing) registrar sits down on his imaginary desk and composes a message that he likes to run this process different by giving the Respondent four to six weeks to respond to the claim. And saying After that period you may apply to me for Summary Judgement against the Respondent.

Now what should the receiver of such news do if he would exist?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Let's say a Hypothetically (not really existing) registrar sits down on his imaginary desk and composes a message that he likes to run this process different by giving the Respondent four to six weeks to respond to the claim. And saying After that period you may apply to me for Summary Judgement against the Respondent.

Now what should the receiver of such news do if he would exist?

In the real courts, even though there are strict time limits for the service of certain pleadings, the reality is that if the they are not adhered to the courts will often give an extension of time. This is because if they stuck blindly to the time limits, a person could come back with a genuine excuse for not having the document and the whole process would have to start again. Perhaps the registrar is simply being more realistic by not imposing the strict time limits.

Four to six weeks is not a long time. If I were such a person I'd wait it out.

Advertisement