Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fees and foreign colleges

• 24-10-2007 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

Do you have to pay fees for all colleges in Wales, Scotland and England, or is it just England? Is there any way of avoiding fees?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

Do you have to pay fees for all colleges in Wales, Scotland and England, or is it just England? Is there any way of avoiding fees?

I'm pretty sure it's all of them...
    You could apply for funding/scholarship. There are different national funding bodies depending on the type of course For example, for humanities the big one would be AHRC, and as an non UK citizen you could apply for a fees only award (not a maintenance grant). Individual universities usually offer their own internal scholarships too. Most of the funding normally goes to research rather than taught masters students though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

Is there any way of avoiding fees?

jesus way to phrase it. do you only do things if they're free? ffs is your education not worth a few grand? colleges need the money to expand their research and facilities and such, if everyone avoided the fees there'd be fook all money going in to education.

yeah you can apply for funding through the various councils depending on what course you apply for. the college you apply to should have details on fees/funding on their website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭Goldenquick

I've learned recently that the VEC fund Irish students going to study in England, it would be worth your while checking with your local VEC. It might be if the course is not available here and depending on your personal circumstances.

I've learned recently that the VEC fund Irish students going to study in England, it would be worth your while checking with your local VEC. It might be if the course is not available here and depending on your personal circumstances.

I'd well be surprised if that's for postgraduate though. Undergraduate I can appreciate, but PG?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I found out recently that Scotland has gotten rid of fees, so I'll probably look at some Scottish colleges.

Seraphina-Screw you. If I could comfortably afford five grand on top of all the money I would have to spend on rent, food, etc then I wouldn't have any problem with fees. Obviously I don't have that sort of money lying around so I have to plan around that. I took a year out before I did my B.A so I could afford it and I'm taking one this year, (although I don't have a job yet) but its not your place to ask questions about my finances. I'd love to be able to afford to go to the best college that money can buy, but I have to plan more modestly than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Scotland has not gotten rid of fees to my knowledge, unless this is a new rule applying to 2008/9 courses. I just started a Masters course for this academic year in a Scottish Uni and its certainly costing me a few grand in fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

Scotland has not gotten rid of fees to my knowledge, unless this is a new rule applying to 2008/9 courses. I just started a Masters course for this academic year in a Scottish Uni and its certainly costing me a few grand in fees.

Usually the free fees are an undergrad thing though. Though I'm sure the OP could find out easily enough by going to official website or whatever instead of asking random boardsies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

The new SNP government has brought it in, but they have only been in power for about 167 days, give or take, so it probably does relate to 2008/9, or perhaps foreign students are not exempt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Yes but surely it only applies to Undergrad courses. PG is usually different.

We're classed as "home" students AFAIK, all EU postgrads here paid the same fees as their UK counterparts.

Advertisement