Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hospital bag

Options
  • 24-10-2007 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

hi everyone.Getting my hospital bag together ready for the big day any advice on what i need to bring with me

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Hi aoife13/01/2008, Exciting time!

You:
    The obvious ones: toilet bag, night clothes, underwear, dressing gown, slippers, hairbrush, towel, clean clothes for going home (still maternity-sized),
    and the not so obvious ones: heavy-duty sanitary pads (the kind your mother/grandmother would use, no ultra-thin Always), breast pads.

Baby:
    Newborn nappies, vests, babygros, hat, cardigan, cotton wool.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 wanabehome

Rubber slippers to shower in.
    A warm blanket,hospital blankets suck.
    shower gel,something awesome like from The body shop or Clarins:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Here's what they recommend at my hospital (Holles Street):

For Mothers
    * 3 Nightgowns
    * Dressing gown
    * Slippers (not mules)
    * 2 Bath towels
    * 1 Hand towel
    * 2 Face cloths
    * 1 Bra/nursing bra (if breastfeeding)
    * Toilet requisites
    * Shower cap
    * 2 Packets of sanitary towels (maternity)
    * Breast pads
    * Box of tissues

For Baby
    * Babygros or baby gowns (4)
    * Vests (2)
    * 2 Medium towels
    * Disposable nappies
    * Cotton wool balls
    * Jar of Vaseline
    * Cardigan

Please try to limit yourself to one bag or suitcase. If you think you will need extra items, you can arrange for your partner or friend to bring them in as you need them. Please bring your VHI number or other relevant insurance details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

OP - keep in mind that your new baby's sense of smell will be hyper-sensitive and they will use it to help identify you in the early days. What that means is that you may want to think of some fragrance-free shampoos/detergents.

I packed one small backpack/bag for the labour room/post delivery, and then one slightly bigger bag for the following day(s). That way my hubby could bring one bag home w/ him after the delivery and I din't have *so* much stuff sitting around. It also helped keep things organized (b/c immediately after giving birth the last thing you'll want to do is be hunting for baby's clothes or clean knickers).

Also keep in mind that you don't necessarily need to bring everything with you to the hospital b/c someone can always bring another set of pjs, etc w/ them when they come to visit. That helps, again, keep things to a minimum b/c they don't give you much room/storage space around your hospital bed and you won't want to be cluttered.

Other than that, I can't think of anything the other posters haven't already mentioned. Best of luck to you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Make sure that the towels for you are a dark colour. You will thank me later for that. I made the mistake of bringing new white ones, they went straight to the bin. Also, "as a just in case" if labour is very long, a nice clean t-shirt for daddy and something for him to snack on...... They tend to get very crabby if they don't have something to eat. :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

All of the above and a bottle of Bubbly to Celebrate your New Bundle of Joy!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

all of the above

plus

Moisturiser
    a spare tooth brush
    a lock for your bag
    a camera
    and a book ~ it comes in to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

All of the above and a bottle of Bubbly to Celebrate your New Bundle of Joy!:)

Sorry to be a stickler here, but I wouldn't really recommend bringing any bubbly to hospital - if the staff even allow you have a glass, I can't imagine it'd be a good thing to have around your newborn (especially if you're breastfeeding). Then again, who am I to say? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Most hospitals esp maternity ones have a strick no drink policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

For baby: plenty of vests and babygrosie. the first few nappies(sorry:p)

For you
    call credit/ money to ring everyone
    Blackout eye mask if you need darkness to sleep
    detol/domestos wipes (some people really dont have consideration for others)
    lock for your bag

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Be sure to bring a bottle of water with a sports cap......it'll be all that matters when you try to pee! :D

(not trying to scare you, but it's really stingy without it, but if you have one it's really soothing)

Best of luck, I'd actually love to go through it all again, it's such an amazing experience!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

Shelli wrote: »
    Be sure to bring a bottle of water with a sports cap......it'll be all that matters when you try to pee! :D

(not trying to scare you, but it's really stingy without it, but if you have one it's really soothing)

Best of luck, I'd actually love to go through it all again, it's such an amazing experience!

unless its a c section... then you pee in to a bag...

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

All of the above plus flip flops for the shower - I also brought my own pillow - hospital ones are rock hard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

I took the lazy option and bought the pre-packed hospital bag from Mothercare. It had all the basics in there for me and baby, then I just packed a small bag for myself - fresh pj's and underwear, towels, toilet bag, some munchies. The bag that all of the stuff came in is now my changing bag.

Advertisement