Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tight landlord

Options
  • 24-10-2007 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭

well didnt think i would post here but just want peoples opinions on this.

moved into a new gaff in the big smoke lately and the landlord, owner is begenning to get on my tits, he is a nice guy and all but he seems to be always on my back or watching me or something,

lets say i make a pizza or something, he would nip out from the lounge and see what im doing and have a chat, you'd swear i was going to burn the place down. its a small thing but still

and more importantly he is crazy mean with the esb and stuff. he has all the sockets turned off, plugs pulled out, tv, toaster, kettle, you name it.

and he goes on about turning off the lights all the time, i mean well and good when you leave the house , but when yours inside ?

once i was cooking and went up stairs and came back down 10mins later, lo and behold total darkness.

he also never turns on the heaters in the evening, i tried to turn the timer on but they dont work, he must have done something to it.

i mean for 430e a month its not great is it? we are not living in like cambodia for fcuk sake.

one night i kipped off with the bedside lamp on, i woke at 5 am with a text

he says if i left the light on ..to turn it off...??!?!

opinion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

WWAAYY OTT, you might have to ask him to relax a bit and not to be so worried about his esb bills etc. Incidentally, it costs more to switch lights on and off than it does to leave them on, so he is actually wasting more money by being so tight. :rolleyes:

Seriously, regardless of whether or not he is the landlord, he has opened his home up to someone else and it is now your home too so he has to see that. If he wants to be precious about his home then he should live by himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I've a landlord who does the exact same, no heat or lights etc; It's like living in a cave. Actually it's my wife. Just as well she's not a landlord then. Even worse i'm the one paying the ESB and gas - why turn it all off all the time? It's so irritating to go round constantly turning on all the rads - never mind wandering in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Move out. Some people can't be lived with, and this guy is one. He won't change.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭aCA

Incidentally, it costs more to switch lights on and off than it does to leave them on, so he is actually wasting more money by being so tight. :rolleyes:

They tested this on an episode of Mythbusters (Discovery Channel) and found this 'myth' not to be true.

Anyway, OP this is crazy behaviour by the landlord. You could have a talk with him, but I agree with Bulger, its unlikely that you can change him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I would encourage you to broach him about it, as if it continues, I can imagine resentment building up. It is your place as much as his, when you are both living there.

I am in the opposite situation as you. I am the owner occupier where I rent out a room. Until recently had not felt a need to turn on the heat. I turned it on one evening for about 10 minutes, and the person sharing with me, came out of her room, and started quizzing me on it. It was only 10 minutes, and besides, if she was too warm when she was in her room, she could always open a window, or turn off the rad in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Turn off the damn lights in here!

I agree with switching off lights and unpluggin electrical sockets but the heating thing can be annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Dunno!!
    We're only hearing your side of the story!!
    How bad are you at actually leaving lights on & things plugged in?
    (In all honesty)

Because I'd tend to be a bit like your landlord & I live at home with my parents & so it's not because I'm paying the bills!!!

It drives me demented sometimes. If it wasn't for me, every light in our house would be left on all night. Someone might go into a room for 2 minutes. Walk out, leave the light on & not go back into the room for the rest of the night.

Same thing with TVs, etc. Will turn them on in a room & then leave the room to watch the TV somewhere else & leaves the other telly on blaring!

Even during the day, bathroom lights are turned on & left on.

The cooker in the kitchen is turned up SO high that sitting in the room is insufferable (& I'm someone who LOVES the heat)

I honestly spend so much time going around turning things off.

You landlord may be very extreme at one end of the spectrum, but are you sure you're not a bit careless at the other end of the spectrum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Sounds like you are living with the landlord in HIS house. He has the right to set the rules as regards turning lights off. My landlord (yes, I am living as a lodger/licensee as well) hasn't had the central heating on in months, well, it is meant to be summer - no problem, I just wear some extra clothes if I'm cold.

You can, of course, move if you don't like the situation, after all, I doubt that you are tied to a fixed term.

This modern generation who have grown up with all the luxuries of modern living and can't do without you central heating. If and when you get your own place you might see the advantages of turning off lights when not in use - poor folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

TBH it sounds like you should look for another place as he's crossed the line with the text and sounds odd.

I'm all for turning things off when not in use and not wasting electricity/heating but there has to be give and take within reason when sharing with other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'd say he has found better accommodation over the last five years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

And closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement