Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

02 Broadband System Reqs

Options
  • 24-10-2007 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭

Howdy...

quick one... maybe someone here can help... a mate of mine just got that o2 mobile broadband and she has been having trouble getting it working..after many calls to support she was told over the that her lappy wasn't compatible because it had a P3 processor... which as far as im concerned is absolute horse poo, now i havnt got to have a look at the laptop yet to see if its just a driver/install issue etc.... but.. is there anyone out there that has it running on a p3 machine?

i also checked the specs of the lappy and is only has usb 1 ports.. and i didn't see any reference to usb2 being a requirement on the 02 site.. but maybe someone here can confirm.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    SW.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Well usb 1.1 is 12mbits , hardly an issue with a 3mbit service .

she may have the slower usb 1.0 which could be an issue but it should work most of the time, she can also FOOL it by putting a usb2 hub on the usb 1 port and connecting the modem to the hub .

in fairness to o2 or the rest of them (they all use the same modem) most boxes are usb2 or usb1.1 with feck all 1.0 gear out there anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Hardly anything was ever made with 1.0
    Anything with a P3 is likely 1.1
    You do need two USB ports (for DC power) and Win2K, XP or Vista.
    Win98 or ME is unlikely to work
    NT4.0 can do USB, but not offically so driver won't install.
    Win95 definately won't work.

For a PIII really Win2K recommended, An XP with all the junk turned off will go in 256M and 300MHz PII CPU, but that needs some configuration skill.

Advertisement