Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More consultations for ComReg

Options
  • 24-10-2007 7:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

You can never have enough of 'em, particularly when corrupt and/or thick-as-sh*t governments are involved to give the keys to the kingdom away. Again.

http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/search_show.aspx?id=OCT093480&ln=EN
    Provision of consultancy services in connection with the proposed structural separation of Eircom Ltd. ("the Project"), in particular in the following areas: (1) operational and regulatory issues; (2) strategic issues; (3) corporate finance issues; and (4) economic and regulatory accounting issues associated with the Project.

I love "the Project". I wonder will they have an Other Other Project...
    Presenter: At the age of fifteen Doug and Dinsdale started attending the Ernest Pythagoras Primary School in Clerkenwell. When the Piranhas left school they were called up but were found by an Army Board to be too unstable even for National Service. Denied the opportunity to use their talents in the service of their country, they began to operate what they called 'The Operation'... They would select a victim and then threaten to beat him up if he paid the so-called protection money. Four months later they started another operation which the called 'The Other Operation'. In this racket they selected another victim and threatened not to beat him up if he didn't pay them. One month later they hit upon 'The Other Other Operation'. In this the victim was threatened that if he didn't pay them, they would beat him up. This for the Piranha brothers was the turning point.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They want to hire consultants, in effect , to tell them EVERYTHING :eek: a regulator should know

What have Comreg being doing for the past 10 years that they do not know any of the following
    (1) operational and regulatory issues;
    (2) strategic issues;
    (3) corporate finance issues; and
    (4) economic and regulatory accounting issues

Jeez. Talk about a writing a manifesto for self-abolition . Parasites :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

dahamsta wrote: »
    You can never have enough of 'em, particularly when corrupt and/or thick-as-sh*t governments are involved to give the keys to the kingdom away. Again.

I have difficulty comprehending the utter incompetence required to post a tender like that, what on earth is Comreg actually for?

"Provision of consultancy services in connection with the proposed structural separation of Eircom Ltd. ("the Project"), in particular in the following areas: (1) operational and regulatory issues;"

They seem to have no regulatory knowledge of their own. Hopw many staff are employed there again? WTF do these staff do?
    Did I fall into "Alice in Wonderland" again?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I have a theory about this, but probably unwise to discuss it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Somone's already suggested to me that they might want separation from any recommendations made, but I don't accept that. They're a regulator, their job is to make these decisions.

Personally I think the Commissioners should sack all those overpaid graduates, since they're obviously no longer needed. Then they can sack themselves.

Or another four letter word ending in k.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I would be the last person to stand up for the waste of space which is comreg, but separating a company like Eircom is going to be a huge undertaking. And we all know how backwards Eircom is. Maybe if there was more consultants with something between their ears brought in before the original sale of Eircom, we wouldn't be in the mess that we are.

Comreg usually do nothing but sit on their hole but when they bring in consultants with an actual goal in mind, that will help the Irish consumers and the will to do it, it can't be a bad thing in my opinion. Everyone here would be equally jumping on them if they were trying to undertake something without the manpower needed to get it done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

Right, but lets be honest, the only reason that comreg are bringing in consultants is the same reason the FAI are bringing in consultants to find a new manager. it means you can blame somebody else!

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Actually I'd prefer to see ComReg get help on this. Splitting up a limited independent entity with its own constitutional rights and responsibilities could be like trying to split a wallnut with a sledge hammer!

No doubt the unions will be fairly intransient and just legislating wont really work.

I think we all know Babcock are going to split, they said it at the beginning, we now need to avoid a structural monopoly. Its a choice of two options really.

Adam, I take it you meant consultants in the subject bar!

Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

B&B in one sense can simply split and sell off the eircom retail. Without any consultation. But they are anxious to know if the current rules will change as a result, and what to. It is in their interest to lobby and get the rules established in advance rather than have the Governement & Comreg have their own ideas and react afterwards as a result of the changed market conditions and how other operators are really affected.

The unions is not the issue.

So you agree with me then ;)

If I owned a private company I'd be miffed if someone told me to carve it up and make a mess of it. We all know that B&B expressed there ideas already.

Tom

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Eircom are the ones driving the split, not Gov.ie. Although we've been talking about it for years, it's B&B that put it on the table. The thing we should be concerned about is the incentives they're looking for from Gov.ie. They're not reasonable. In fact they're ridiculous.

adam

• Advertisement

Yeah its very clear from the program for government. Problem is that we are now facing a problem in Brussels with Mme Reding pushing for incumbent splits.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Simply follow the capital markets guys, B and B want rid of Retail in case it screws their financing plans up .

Advertisement