Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any idea

Options
  • 24-10-2007 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭

I was visiting a relative this evening and noticed a jet of some kind flying in circular motions it was very fast much faster then a passenger jet.
    I thought maybe it was aerial mapping,any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

If you can give us the location where this happened we maybe able to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

Sorry forgot to put that in, the relatives live in south Leitrim.
    If its any help I can stick up a picture of one of the trails.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Do....stick up a picture

Approx how high was it? A slight possibility was that it may have been burning off/dumping fuel......if it was in an emergency....its a possibility anyway

326136498573599420477411_copy.jpg

It did several of these kind of things,I wouldn't be very good at heights but I'd say high altitude at least the same as passenger jets if not higher it seemed a fairly small jet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

May have been in a "stack".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

A stack over Leitrim??? for which airport? :confused:

I didn't hear anything about any emergencies either

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Are you sure it was a jet? Contrails generally only form at cruising altitudes. I'd guess from the picture that it was an aerobatic plane with an exhaust smoke system, practicing maneouvres.

I'd be nearly sure it was a Jet just from the speed and height but I could be wrong, if it was a jet it was a small one.
    That trail has spread out a bit I'll put up this pic don't know if its any help.

523501602381154871072773_DSC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Are you sure it was a jet? Contrails generally only form at cruising altitudes. I'd guess from the picture that it was an aerobatic plane with an exhaust smoke system, practicing maneouvres.

Sounds very plausible.
    It could be the small and faraway Dougal argument.
    Although not sure how long the smoke lasts as sometimes disapates quiet quickly. Maybe Dave Bruton is moving north ?
    Either that or the Al Quida have finally invaded or maybe some bored RAF pilot playing silly buggers over Fermanagh ;)

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I thought also that it may have been in a stack holding, but over leitrim?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

It is in fact this:Chemtrails

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

On the other hand, looking at the picture and eliminating what it is not: It's not an airliner, too small. Not likely to be military as they tend to operate at least in pairs and they would most unlikely be operating above Ireland. So most likely a bizjet, a long range one, Falcon or Gulfstream. That wasn't smoke but a contrail.

The question is this. Which way did it go after the hold, west or east? I would guess west in which case it was most likely a hold for separation purposes on the Atlantic route. When you cross the Atlantic there is no ATC and no radar. So before each Atlantic crossing the flightcrew works out what track, speed and altitude they want. Also their ETA at the start point which is where radar coverage ends. This has to be negotiated with ATC, probably SHANWICK in this case. There are a number of allocated tracks on the Atlantic each day.

Because there is no radar coverage on the Atlantic, aircraft can only be separated by means of the above allocation of tracks, altitude and speeds. Positions reports are broadcast on HF radio by means of SELCAL.

Most likely in this case the pilot didn't get the ETA he wanted at the start point or possibly, but less likely he arrived too soon and had to hold over lovely Leitrim.

Mystery solved, unless of course he departed to the east:confused:

I seen it over about 45-60mins and The first pic is in the southeast awhile later it was in the southwest and the last I seen it it was going northeast.
    The clouds came in at that point so I couldn't see if it turned again or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Possibly an aircraft doing flight checks after maintainence at Dublin or Shannon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

gerky wrote: »
    I seen it over about 45-60mins and The first pic is in the southeast awhile later it was in the southwest and the last I seen it it was going northeast.
    The clouds came in at that point so I couldn't see if it turned again or not.

There was a 737 I think training out of Knock a while back, but you could tell that it was a commercial airliner, as it was much lower than normal, maybe 10 to 15 thousand feet.

Advertisement