Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin flat con job....

• 24-10-2007 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

I've been advertising for a flatshare on a few websites and someone mustve saw some chance to make some money.... Her email was written in terrible English but seemed to be offering the best deal in the World, a room on Lower Gardiner Street for 350 euro a month! All seemed pretty good stuff, other then the English, but then came the pictures..... Now I admit I dont know Dublin like the back of my hand but you'd have to be an idiot to fall for these:

So called "Front View"

frontview.jpg

Hmm looks like this particular Georgian townhouse has been replaced by a house that looks like it wouldnt be out of place in North London

So the room:

vacantroom.jpg

Jesus you've really got rid of all the Georgian buildings, how did that piece of **** apartment building get built in Dublin city centre! Amazing how the windows are different outside from in!

The living room:

sittingroom_real.jpg

Whoooa how did they manage to hide that balcony from the outside, its amazing that on the inside this place seems like a modern apartment but looks like an Edwardian terrace from the street!

Aww thats nice a picture of her:

paulaandlouiseapartment.jpg

But wait, whats this..... "her and her dad on High court road in London"

mydadandmeinlondonhighcourtroad.jpg

Hmm she's had a lot of plastic surgary there! And call me mad but when did Checkpoint charlie move from Berlin to London? And where the hell is High Court Road anyway?

Hmmmmm I think she may be fishing for naive foreigners deposits.... some people eh?

:eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ClauClau

I put an ad up for me and my boyfriend looking for a room/apartment and i got a few replies all of which wanted a deposit via western union money transfer BEFORE i even viewed the place as they'd had a lot of timewasters apparently. I didn't cop at first that i was bein conned, but my boyfriends had a few of these lads through sales. I couldn't believe it! Its a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Outer Bongolia

I have been offered a lovely 'happiness flat' in 'Ireland City Centre' by a man called Honest Jeffrey. I **** you not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭- bo -

I was offered a swanky place by a fella called Reverend Bill, email said his wife died and so he is moving back to West Africa with his daughter.

Id laugh if I wasnt so badly in need of accomodation :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ClauClau

- bo - wrote: »

Id laugh if I wasnt so badly in need of accomodation :(

Probably the reason i was so blind to the prats as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

and the funniest part of all people will fall for these scams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭daniel3982

Rob_l wrote: »
    and the funniest part of all people will fall for these scams

the thing is how hard would it be to do a proper job, take some outside shots of the place mentioned etc... if you're going to be a robbing scumbag at least make it a tiny little bit realistic. Don't put a picture up of a house in another country for one!

You's are alright though, its a nightmare looking for a flat in Dublin.... no wonder why there's idiots out there who fall for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

daniel3982 wrote: »
    the thing is how hard would it be to do a proper job, take some outside shots of the place mentioned etc... if you're going to be a robbing scumbag at least make it a tiny little bit realistic. Don't put a picture up of a house in another country for one!

You's are alright though, its a nightmare looking for a flat in Dublin.... no wonder why there's idiots out there who fall for it.

the last two photos are strange and alone would make you curious, but I can see certain people might fall for it.

it does mean I will laugh at them when it happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Some poor foreign student looking for a room in dublin will fall for that.

And the last photo is Checkpoint Charlie in Berlin, not some road in London

/pedantic

Edit: d'oh, you knew that already :D

Shame the police cant prosecute kants like this, for every 100 people that realise what a load of crap it is if only one hands over there money then theyve succeeded. Total crying shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

daniel3982 wrote: »
    Shame the police cant prosecute kants like this, for every 100 people that realise what a load of crap it is if only one hands over there money then theyve succeeded. Total crying shame.

that's why we need vigilante justice

:cool:

• Advertisement

haha should I post the email addy then or will that get the thread deleted? I think this person needs a bit of a taste of their own medicine

Have you reported this on the website?

No, it's just gumtree and my email is on there, they didnt mail me through any sort of membership unfortunetely... i'll have a look and see if there's a mechanism though.

Got another one, absolute scum they are:
    Hi,
    I have a couple of rooms and single room to let for a minimum of 4 months preferably longer in a very large tenement style flat in.The flat is ideally located with the low level train across the street,2 bus stops within 30 sec walk of main door and local shops across the road including a bakery,delicatessen/cafe,grocery store, barber etc.Larger supermarkets are 5 minutes walk further down the road towards the city centre. This flat suits students at or people working at city park (Dell etc). Flat has 20Mb broadband, cable t.v, 2 main bathroom and a master bedroom with an en-suite (no fighting over showers in the morning!)and here some details about myself i live in apartment alone rightnow.

Apartment Home Address-12,Parnell Street, Dublin 1, Ireland

It also
    has....
    Washing machine.
    Tumble Dryer.
    2 fridge freezers (for big
    shopping trips).
    Gas Hob with electric oven.
    Integrated Dishwasher.
    Lounge with piano.
    2 electric showers - never run out of hot water.
    Gas
    central heating.

Brand new double glazing - Keeps sound out and warmth in :0) Stripped wooden floors, Stunning Hardwood floor in Hallway, Porcelain floor tiles in Kitchen( easier to keep clean) and under floor heating in the master bedroom's en-suite.All rooms have fast WIRED internet access.Hall storage AND loads of attic storage if you need it, ideal for suitcases, boxes etc. Only non-smoking, responsible,tidy and considerate flatmates should apply. The atmosphere of the flat suits young working professionals or Post graduate students. Party animals should look elsewhere ;0) References may be required along with proof of identity and proof of home residence.All bills & facilities included in rent so if you know you really like my flat send me your full name and contact address so that i can prepare you an Agreement form for you to sign for the flat and book my flat.And per month Euro320 and per weeks Euro95while the deposit fees Euro390
    will be paid first before coming to the flat.
    Thanks and look forward
    to hearing from you.
    susan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

20mb broadband?
    Score.

I'm more impressed with the low level train on Parnell Street, does this mean the Metro is finished already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Yeah I admit I would have fallen for that...
    Only for the 20mb broadband :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Stereonick wrote: »
    I have been offered a lovely 'happiness flat' in 'Ireland City Centre' by a man called Honest Jeffrey. I **** you not

lol! :D

Advertisement