Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP Installation issue

• 24-10-2007 10:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭

Minor problem.

Decided I wanted to put XP back on my computer, instead of Vista.

Put XP cd in drive, restart computer, select boot from CD Drive, boots into installation.

Goes thru blue screen installation malarky, reformat drive fully, it says computer will restart, installation will continue

It restarts, installation does not recontinue. Im just left with a blank screen. I do not let it boot into CD...

help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Are there any AV or Power management features turned on in the BIOS?
    I presume the Installation CD is in good nick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Disk is in perfect condition.......no power saving issues that might affect it

Have tried reformatting drive several times but to no avail. Any time it restarts in installation, does not go back into installation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Im doing the same now but can someone tell me how I boot from CD? And Can I install XP to a seperate partition?

Insert XP Disc..........when it starts up go into BIOS and set boot order to CD drive first and away you go.

Yea you can install to seperate partition, are you creating a dual boot?

Indeed I am. XP is installed but I seem to have no control over what boots first and hence it keeps booting straight into XP. My thread is 'Triple booting' or something.

• Advertisement

Ok.......check boot order so, if its set to hard drive first it SHOULD ask you what OS you want

Argh I might just do a clean install of XP. Install partition magic. Create a Vista and Ubuntu partition and install them. I can't even boot to XP now! Clean install it is.

Edit: Actually I'll clean install Vista.
    Edit2: Actually, I couldn't do that^ I'll stick with the original plan.
    Edit3: Jaysus I couldn't install Partition Magic in XP. Kept getting errors. Doing a clean install of Vista now and then I'll just run XP on VirtualPC2007.

Okey Dokey. I have reinstalled Vista and is fine but now when I start the PC bootmanager comes up asking me if I want to run:
    • Microsoft Windows Vista
    • Microsoft Windows Vista Business (recovered)

The first option boots into Vista and thats fine. The second option seems to reboot the pc and go back to bootmanager. How the hell do I delete it so I just boot into Vista normally?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Advertisement