Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Limerick - expenses & safety

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

FYI to everybody who looks at the pics; Ryanair will get you to Stockholm for €199 taxes & charges included.

Not bad value so...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Could anyone tell me what's the average living expenses in Limerick for single person or a couple without kids?

Also, I checked few posts below and it seems not to be a very safe city. How about nightclubs? Are they more like those in Sweden or like in England as it can be seen from pictures in the following link

http://axwell.proboards38.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=general&thread=1159523684&page=1

Thanks. Chunky.

Is this a joke??

Nothing like the English one. Limerick is like every other city in the world "if you are not looking for trouble then you will be safe)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Limerick is like every other city in the world "if you are not looking for trouble then you will be safe)

Where does trouble start for you? murder, burglary, trespassing or harassment?

I didn't asked to get verbally attacked from a car passing by, I didn't asked to get bottle thrown at me, friends didn't asked to get eggs thrown at them just after their arrived for a job here (trust me, they now have a very fine picture of the city!). This doesn't happen in one of the "disadvantaged" areas - this happens in city center! This doesn't happen only one time - it happens on an almost daily basis.

Maybe it is the same in *some* other cities - but that doesn't make it normal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I didn't asked to get verbally attacked from a car passing by, I didn't asked to get bottle thrown at me, friends didn't asked to get eggs thrown at them just after their arrived for a job here (trust me, they now have a very fine picture of the city!). This doesn't happen in one of the "disadvantaged" areas - this happens in city center! This doesn't happen only one time - it happens on an almost daily basis.

Really? I walk O'Connell street 3 or 4 times a day and I've never seen this happen, to me or anyone else, where did it happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've been here for nearly 18 years, and its never happened to me either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Lazers pew pew

maybe you're <snip>

Mod Edit: Personal Abuse not allowed. Cop on, Lazers. You'll be banned next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭knightmare

I have lived in Limerick for the last 5 years, having lived in cork for 8 before that & I can tell you Limerick is a much safer place. Have seen about 2 fights on a saturday night in those 5 years. When I hear people going on about Limerick is this & that I switch off cause they obviously don't know what they are talking about.
    As for expense it is very reasonable, about 80 for a double bedroom a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

My sister goes to college there and while she loves that - the estate next to where she lives is like a war zone. When one of the 'local' lads gets shot they block all the entrances with burning cars and procedd to wreck their own place.

Now Dublin is bad but Limerick has a bad reputuation and whether or not it is fully deserved it is hardly a paradise is it.

Also lads out at night seem to be attacked quite frequently. A mate of mine in college there was on a pay phone one evening talking to his mother and when he came out a lad waiting outside punched him in the face and said 'only girls talk on the phone that long...'

Now while I find that hilarious and he probably deserved it to be honest as he is a bit of a girl it is hardly a picture of a friendly, safe city that the locals portray.

EDIT - cork is not exactly safe either - after 12 all bets of are off. But if you are not hanging around when you leave the pub. I.e. get a taxi and go straight home you are generally fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

......and as my name suggests, I'm a blow-in from Tipperary, here in Limerick since 1976 and never had any of those things happen to me either.

I wouldn't live anywhere else by the way.

John.

• Advertisement

kmick wrote: »
    My sister goes to college there and while she loves that - the estate next to where she lives is like a war zone. When one of the 'local' lads gets shot they block all the entrances with burning cars and procedd to wreck their own place.

Now Dublin is bad but Limerick has a bad reputuation and whether or not it is fully deserved it is hardly a paradise is it.

Also lads out at night seem to be attacked quite frequently. A mate of mine in college there was on a pay phone one evening talking to his mother and when he came out a lad waiting outside punched him in the face and said 'only girls talk on the phone that long...'

Now while I find that hilarious and he probably deserved it to be honest as he is a bit of a girl it is hardly a picture of a friendly, safe city that the locals portray.

EDIT - cork is not exactly safe either - after 12 all bets of are off. But if you are not hanging around when you leave the pub. I.e. get a taxi and go straight home you are generally fine.

where does your sister live? Moyross? Because no other place is like that
    I'm born and bred Limerick, apart from one dig i got on a friday night when i was 18 which i deserved i have never seen a random attack.
    If you get a dig, the chances are you more than likely deserved it
    As for the OP's question. Its not expensive compared to other cites. I'm paying €900 a month for a brand new apartment. Very reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

where does your sister live? Moyross? Because no other place is like that
    I'm born and bred Limerick, apart from one dig i got on a friday night when i was 18 which i deserved i have never seen a random attack.
    If you get a dig, the chances are you more than likely deserved it
    As for the OP's question. Its not expensive compared to other cites. I'm paying €900 a month for a brand new apartment. Very reasonable

That is a regular thing in Southill too, normally in broad daylight. A quick search on Youtube found me an example.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ih2C-C1zzvM

Being born and bred in Limerick, my own take is that the city is nowhere near as bad as many make it out to be, but it is also nowhere near as safe and peaceful as others claim. It sits somewhere in the middle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

daveirl wrote: »

Plenty..all you've to do is check yer own forums of the PROC for people saying they were jumped for no reason, stabbings in the Northside, anti social behaviour on Patricks St I know for sure there was a stabbing in the Savoy not so long ago. Some of the most vicious street fights I ever saw were in Cork when I lived there( outside Sir Henrys). Limerick's not perfect but neither is Cork and if you took the gang warfare out of Limerick it wouldnt get half the press it does. The city centre is fine and I'd prefer to walk around Limerick than Dublin or Cork and even Shop Street in Galway can be dog rough after the clubs close. In saying that there are definite no go areas here..but the city centre isnt one of them..It was maybe 10 years ago but not now.
    The original poster is a WUM imo..one post wonder

and I'm not from Limerick so I dont really need to defend the place...Corks a great city but dont pretend its perfect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Also, I checked few posts below and it seems not to be a very safe city.

It's a city. Period.

If you've lived in a completely sheltered, rural, idyllic haven for the last few years, then it'll seem unsafe.

If you've been anywhere near any major city in the last few years, it'll seem completely normal.

The problems with posts are that (a) people can post without knowing the facts and (b) you have to know the mindset or agenda of those who are posting.

Yes, some people do experience the usual mindless idiot teenager crap mentioned above, but most people don't, and most people - when referring to crime in Limerick - highlight the activities of 3 or 4 criminal/scumbag families who are doing their best to control the local drugs trade......

Unless you're planning on coming to Limerick to sell drugs, you'll be a lot safer here than in most cities....... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

A lot of people have never had any problems what so ever in Limerick I can only
    write about my own experiences and the people I have known.
    It may seem very negative but I am only highlighting the negative experiences.

It may be important to note its the BAD things that have happened that I have
    tended to remember and not the GOOD things.
    Maybe Limerick is just a normal city like any other city.

I've been clubbing and staying in Dublin/Cork/Galway and Limerick for years
    and never had any issues in any other City other than Limerick.
    I'm not a trouble maker, have never been in trouble with the law and have
    never started a fight since Primary school. I have been living in Limerick all
    of my life (30+ years)

I've been randomly attacked by a group of thugs for no reason, I was walking down
    the steet and I did not even make eye contact. One of them turned to me and said
    hey young fella I am going to hit you in a minute...and a group of them surrounded
    me and I got a belt into the eye and head. Of course nobody stopped to help and I
    probably would not blame them.

I've had my life threatened a few years ago by some scumbag that started stalking my girlfriend and went the the Cops who never managed to do anything about it.
    (no proof etc)

When I was a teenager coming out of Docs night club and on William street I've had
    friends randomly attacked and have been out in A&E with them on a few
    different occasions. They were Minding their own business and only heading to the taxi rank to go home.

Also as a teenager I was "caught in the middle" of a Riot in Feddery Burks where
    people got stabbed and bottled and the Guards had to come in and shut the club down
    for the night. Similarly in the George night club there was night where a crowd went out
    of control and people nearly were crushed and brawls started. This even made the papers.

I was waiting for a Taxi to collect me on Roxboro road one night where some thug
    started hurling abuse at me from across the street and shouting he was going
    to beat the head off me if I did not start smiling. The same place a week later a woman
    crashed into an old man who went up her bonnet and smashed her windscreen,
    The Old man got up (he was drunk) and walked away saying he was ok and disappeared
    down the street into a maze of housed. The woman rang her boyfriend who told her
    to drive away instead of ring the guards and she did. (Taxi Driver rang the Guards)

Recently I know a lad the was cycling and some thugs that were vandalizing something
    attacked him with a knife and managed to stab/nick (was not too serious a wound) into
    the back of the head/neck area.

Outside Super macs a few years back was a no-go zone after the night clubs ended.
    I dont know what its like now as I dont go out in the City anymore and I prefer
    to drink locally.

One of the Local Winos attacked a guys wife that I know and broke her nose.

I've seen countless fights and attacks on people in Cruises street and William street.
    A few months ago saw some guys head thumbed off him by a thug who followed the
    victim into the Golden Grill Chipper without a care in the world that the whole street
    was looking at him and he was caught on camera.

Have seem a whole crowd of scumbags run down to the park behind Aurthers Quey
    where there was gangs fighting and trying to kill each other.

Have had a friends younger brother held at knife point in Mulgrave street and told
    to hand over his phone and cash. The same female friend also got threatened for her
    phone by some mini thugs and she told em to f-off or shed brake their legs for them.

Have seen a tourist couple attacked in the middle of the day in cruises street.

A poor wino/homeless dude outside Brown thomas one evening
    that looked like he was bleeding to death blood everywhere, nobody knew
    what happened to him (ambulance was called)

I could go on and on and on.........

Garda presence is very poor in the city, Sure they have got lots of Cameras but
    ya need more Garda members on the street to actually respond ultra fast and
    act as a deterrent.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I have to admit Bullets, you seem to be one unlucky guy.

I can't identify with the Limerick you describe at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I'm not too unlucky considering I myself have never been seriously injured or hurt apart from one time.
    But its the things I have seen while out and things that have happened
    to other people and people I know.

The Place is getting Better though and I do think its a lot safer than it was
    say 10 years ago.

One important thing to note about the list of things I mentioned is that
    although it may look like a lot and I could list loads more the incidents
    range from when I was 16-31 so they are spaced out over quite a lot of years.

I think a lot of it can be when,where and for how long
    people spent their time in the city people will witness good and bad things.

It could be just the ramblings of a madman but........

For example my Mother sees absolutely no danger anyplace.
    She drives into town probably once a week and may spend an hour or less
    going to one or two shops and then drives home again. Never ever had any
    problems in Limerick at all. And there are thousands like her.
    She does not spend the night in town or go nightclubbing til 2 in the morning and
    does not laze about the place for the whole say on the weekends. Shes probably less
    likely to run into or see trouble.

if you compare that to maybe a teenager who goes out on a Fri/Sat evening
    gets a bus into town spends the evening drinking and clubbing and then
    goes for food afterwards and finally home around 2-3 in the morning.
    Then during the day heads into town for the entire day to meet up with friends
    or wander or hang about the place shopping or whatever someone like that
    may be more likely to see trouble around them as they will be in the City for Longer
    or at times like Supermacs or the Chicken Hut at 2am type of scenes.

1 hour a week vs most of the weekend the teenage may see more things happen in the
    town and have complete opposite outlooks on the place.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Having lived here my entire life, I can say its a safe place to live. You wont get trouble unless you go looking for it.

Regarding expenses, its not the most expensive of places at all, any specifics you need on this?

Nightclubs...theres the Trinity Rooms which is probably one of the most renowned in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Someone attempted to mug me once. was my own fault for staying and not walking the minute i saw them. That's it. No stabbings. No Kneecapping. No Petrol Bombs. No Bull****.

Limerick is as safe as any other city/town in the country.

I advise you stay out of moyross and southill the way you'd stay out of Ballymun, Knocknaheeny and Rahoon.

As for Bullets. Man you're unlucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ChunkyNinja

Thanks all for the info. It seems it's safe enough...

What are good areas to live in and what is the approximate cost of a nice, fully furnished, one bedroom apartment with all utilities included?

Also what's the approximate population of Limerick and how is transportation? Do you need a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mkem

Am a Corkman living in Limerick. Can't say a single bad word about Limerick People. Well at least not while I'm living here (only joking). UP EFFIN FOR THE JUNIOR COUNTY HURLING C#SHIP !!!

Mod Edit: No Advertising Allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Thanks all for the info. It seems it's safe enough...

What are good areas to live in and what is the approximate cost of a nice, fully furnished, one bedroom apartment with all utilities included?

Also what's the approximate population of Limerick and how is transportation? Do you need a car?

In my opinion the Dooradoyle/Raheen area would be a preferable area to live- good access to town and to the crescent SC.

There is good public transportation (bus) between town and most places

A one bed apartment would not set you back an astronomical amount.....certainly not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 barboy25

Although Limerick has the reputation, i dont think it is as bad
    as any other city in the world!! i personally know of someone that
    caught a hackney cab from town one night that had another passenger in it
    willing to share a fare, and ended up being locked inside the car and subsequently robbed and beaten after the car was driven into a concrete wall in weston.IT HAD BEEN STOLEN HOURS EARLIER.
    i have lived in various areas of Limerick with good and bad reps but its the scobes that give it the reputation, i have met people from Moyross and the like and they have been the nicest people you could meet.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Aesop

Good is very vague? What do you need? Are you going to college, are you working if so where in the city? Are you looking for peace and quiet, do you have a young family, are you more interested in socializing? Would you prefer to drive?
    Also what's the approximate population of Limerick

Approx population of Limerick is 90,000 although it is usually given as a lot less. (The boundaries of the city have been in dispute, they have not moved to take account of the expansion of the city in the last 10-20 years).
    and how is transportation? Do you need a car?

This depends on your needs. In general the major suburban areas (Raheen, Dooradoyle, Castletroy, areas off Ennis Road) are served with half decent regular services. You can certainly get by without a car if you live close to major routes but most people choose car over public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

no affence lads but you have a city with 100,000+ and have a few thousand people on an average tuesday student night or whatever your bound to get some people starting a scrap wit someone out of drunken behavior which 9 times out of 10 they prob would apolagise for the next morning! all it is is people getting angry from people skipping the taxi queue by roaches or wherever and silly drunken rowdyness! and if anyone from cork or dublin says that they think its still wrong then ye know yourselves that your only trying to start an arguement! you get this EVERYWHERE! part of our bloody culture..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

I've been living in Limerick in Castletroy for just less than a month. The average price of a one or two bed apartment seems to vary from 800-1100 depending on area etc. We needed to be close to the Uni so that's why we chose Castletroy. Having a car is very handy here. There is a bus service but it's nice to have the freedom of the car as there isn't much to do where we're living (we were living in Galway city centre before so big change!).

Castletroy seems like a nice place to live, it's quiet and residential. Lots of students living here but I haven't seen anything negative in the area regarding them.

Safety wise though I feel a bit unnerved. A lot of men have been gawking at me, calling after me and even making crude remarks as I walk by. I don't wear provocative clothing and this is usually during the day time and tbh I'm appalled by it. I've lived in Galway and Dublin and this has not happened to me before. Other than that I haven't had any safety issues.

where has this happened fletch?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

Around the Castletroy area during the daytime. Just walking around, doing my shopping going to the bank etc. It made my skin crawl. It has happened to me four different times definately (where I know I wasn't just being paranoid), and two of those times involved groups of men. And I've only been here for a few weeks...

Could be that I was unlucky, but it does mean that I'm extra vigilant. If a guy thinks that he can make crude remarks to a stranger, who knows what else he might do.

Anyways, what I'm saying is, no where is safe so keep an eye out and be on the defense!

Advertisement