Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Limerick - expenses & safety

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I will say that I do feel a little unnerved by the halting site in Castletroy, but for the most part those guys are fairly decent, but as with most, there's some right ****ing **** on that site!!

A guy I went to school with had his phone robbed by some little travellers and said he was dead if he told the Gardaí...they should have thought of that before they picked the local detective's son to rob :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

"fletch 123" thats quite intresting that castletroy is givin a bad name now. i mean it has a population over 25000 but everytime i go there now you always see MASSIVE groups of like skaters and that just skating around the newtown area of castletroy, but they are harmless, they do videos of themselves too, there fairly nice to talk to also..would you think it was a polish group? iv heard a lot of polish live in the area and i read on the paper that there has been a polish man jailed for robbing something like 300 houses in the area!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Bullets wrote:
    if you compare that to maybe a teenager who goes out on a Fri/Sat evening
    gets a bus into town spends the evening drinking and clubbing and then
    goes for food afterwards and finally home around 2-3 in the morning.
    Then during the day heads into town for the entire day to meet up with friends
    or wander or hang about the place shopping or whatever someone like that
    may be more likely to see trouble around them as they will be in the City for Longer
    or at times like Supermacs or the Chicken Hut at 2am type of scenes.

Im a 21 year old college student that has lived around Limerick my whole life. Iv done the teenager hang around town thing and iv been on nights out more times than I can count with all sorts of groups of people at all time of the week and year and I can honestly say I cant identify with the Limerick your describing either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

D-A-V-E wrote: »
    "fletch 123" thats quite intresting that castletroy is givin a bad name now. i mean it has a population over 25000 but everytime i go there now you always see MASSIVE groups of like skaters and that just skating around the newtown area of castletroy, but they are harmless, they do videos of themselves too, there fairly nice to talk to also..would you think it was a polish group? iv heard a lot of polish live in the area and i read on the paper that there has been a polish man jailed for robbing something like 300 houses in the area!

Various men have leered at me so don't know their nationality. The ones who have said things to me seem to be english-speaking. And one particular group of men who said something particularly crude to me were wearing business suits having chips for their lunch.

TBH, I haven't seen any skaters or large groups of people hanging around, and if I did it wouldn't bother me. It's just the behavior of those creeps that gets to me because they are deliberately trying to provoke a reaction from me (I assume).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Someone attempted to mug me once. was my own fault for staying and not walking the minute i saw them. That's it. No stabbings. No Kneecapping. No Petrol Bombs. No Bull****.

Same happened to me when I was fifteen, but I was walking around Cruises St. on my own, on a Sunday. Got hit on the head with something and ended up in the regional and had to get stitches. All I had on me was £5 :rolleyes:

I've lived here for 9 years and besides that nothing really out of the ordinary has happened to me or anyone I know. I occasionally get abusive or completely random comments from scumbags but usually ignore them (not really sure what is the best thing to do). I can't say I'm a fan of Friday/Saturday nights but besdies a mugging outside Chicken Hut (someone knocked over this guy... to steal his take-away!) I've not seen anything. And I've often walked home from town (to Caherdavin) after a night out without any hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

What time was that at zilog_jones?

While I don't live in the city i've been going into it my whole life (17yrs) a few times a week and the only hassle I ever had was when some knacker grabbed me on william street and ordered me to give him a fag 'or he'll give me a dig' pushed him away and that was the end of it.

Maybe I've been lucky but I've always found it a safe city.

Only fight I ever seen was between a group of 11yr olds (guessing) in macdonalds beside storm cinemas. Was quiet funny actually, there so stupid they don't know, can you picture a fat 11yr old walking around with no top on (he took it off on purpose thinking he was acting cool)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Txatxu Urki

ive been out in limerick for the past 22 years and have seen no more than 2 fights which is amazing.. places like tralee and clonmel have probably much more trouble per population. Part of it might be that people in limerick have better street sense, and know not to rock the boat with strangers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭EoimarMuppet

Trust me on this one, i would feel a LOT safer walking Limerick on a Saturday night than newcastle which has turned into a fockin war zone lately

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Have been in Limerick city centre at night time several times and not much of a bother to be had. The thing about Limerick is that if you don't go looking for trouble it won't come looking for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Have been in Limerick city centre at night time several times and not much of a bother to be had. The thing about Limerick is that if you don't go looking for trouble it won't come looking for you.

And even if it does most people have enough sense not to give trouble the time of night:D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement