Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How strong is the wireless UL network?

Options
  • 24-10-2007 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭

would i be able to play xbox live through it? whats the upload and download speed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

would i be able to play xbox live through it? whats the upload and download speed?

First of all where abouts are you located in the Campus? There's another thread in the forum from a week or so ago about issues like this. First off all the the speed you'll get from a wireless access point is dependent on how close you are to it and how many people are connected to the access point (shared medium & signal attenuation etc). The network covers the campus buildings and maybe a short distance outside them so you won't pick it outside these areas.

As to using Xbox Live through it I've no idea never tried it.

Cheers
    Rory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Heliosvector

I plan to be in the Dromroe village. Also it says that you can pay 135euro a year for a wired connection. how fast is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Dromroe wired would be 100Mbs standard 100 LAN.. ULs internet connection is rated quite high at something in the region of 400mbs (see here http://www.hea.net/ and http://www.hea.net/mrtg/ul1.html) but thats for the whole college.

I dont know if you would have sufficent coverage for wireless being in dromroe being honest.. tho someone who lives there will know better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

You cant play Xbox live through the college network. The ports are blocked....plus, you in Dromroe you can see that the ULwireless is available, but the signal isn't strong enough to pick it up so you can actually use it.

If you wanna play xbox live you will have to invest in a 3 mobile modem.

I have heard people are able to get around the blocked ports, is this true? 100mb!!! wow thats amazing, im on a 2mb right now lol!

If everything is blocked, then what do they need such a fast connection for? Are all the staff there REALLY impatient, and hate waiting longer then 1/3 of a second for an internet page? (just a joke)

Or maybe there are online seminars available? perhaps thats the need for the high connection.

If i got the wired connection (135euro one for year) would i have more access and be able to fiddle with the port and NAT settings? Sorry im clueless about uni networks. All i know is that they are fast and different. (i didnt expect that fast of a connection though...

• Advertisement

Try 11000 people trying to access the web through 1 connection..

Ports are blocked for legal reasons and also to maintain QOS. Its a university .. not a net cafe

The 100 Mb is a standard wired network. That is not your connection to the internet that is the internal LAN speed (computer to computer). ULs internet connection is 400Mbs.

thanks for the info ginger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

You can get around it for most things, like downloading torrents and stuff, but not for xbox live. I already know of a fair few people that download torrents, and at times the internet connection can get really, really slow.

They block it, because otherwise everyone would be downloading all sorts of crap all the time. This way, only a few know how to get around it.

Advertisement