Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Heating system question

Options
  • 24-10-2007 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

Ok , our house is about 50 yrs old , (old army terraced house).

When the Rads were put in they put the circulation pump , somewhere i cant get to it , i think its under a floor in one of the bedrooms , i must lift a few boards , i dont think theres a stat on it, as it jus comes on when you flick the switch on the wall.

Anyway , its heated by a wood stove with back boiler, great piece of kit , what i want to know is , by ligting the stove and NOT turnng on the pump , can it do any harm to the system , ie use it just as a gravity fed system.

Why im askin is because , when the stove is buildin up heat and the pump isnt on , you can hear the water heating up in the back boiler like the sound of a kettle heating up , and if ya turn on the pump this goes away after a minute or so <would it harm the stove or the system to leave it boiling like that?

last question , would it be hard to fit a stat to the pump ,(if i can find it)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

had a similar system but instead of a stove i had a back boiler in a fireplace. if we didnt turn on the pump the water would come out of the taps in the form of steam. we sell pipe stats in where i work and as far as i know they clamp onto the pipe and have some sort of thermal cut out.......not sure if they could be used in that situaton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Yes, a pipe stat clamped to the hot pipe a few feet from the stove, with the live to the pump fed through it, should do the trick. Set the stat at about 60.
    Make sure that the stat is wired so that the power is switched on when the temp rises above the temp you have it set to. A stat in a boiler is wired the opposite way.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Sorry to drag up an old post , but someone here might have a solution.

I cant put a stat anywhere that is near to the stove cos the pipes are blocked nd boxed in , it would mean doing a load of re-decorating.

The pump is between the cieling od the room the stove is in and the floors of the upstairs room. , and on the other side of the room , (if you get me)

Would it be too far away for a stat to work??

If you could find where the pipe comes through the ceiling straight up from the boiler, that should be OK for the stat. The hot water will rise straight up and you would have to adjust the stat to bring on the pump when the temperature seems right.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

cheers james, i know where the pipes go as far as where they come to the pumpbut i dont know which one to put a stat onto , or would it matter seeing as the pump is that far from the stove

• Advertisement

cheers james, i know where the pipes go as far as where they come to the pumpbut i dont know which one to put a stat onto , or would it matter seeing as the pump is that far from the stove

Put the stat on the flow - which is the hotter of the 2 coming from the stove.
    There are almost certainly 2 main pipes coming from the stove up to heat the water in the cylinder - the hotter is the flow. There may be other pipes branching off from those, but go for the obvious ones.
    Jim.

Advertisement