Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Banned for Drink driving

Options
  • 25-10-2007 12:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭

I have a friend (not me!) who was banned from driving for 3 years for drink driving. I assume he will have to surrender his driving licence. fair enough!

My question is: I heard a new law requires drink drivers to re-sit their driving test following this period. How would this be possible when he's not allowed to drive on the road without a licence?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

He would have to apply for a provisional licence, I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Think about it, how did we all start off driving?

This situation will be like that since he will have no no claims bonus, he will probably get a loading for the conviction and he will have to get a new provisional.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    My question is: I heard a new law requires drink drivers to re-sit their driving test following this period. How would this be possible when he's not allowed to drive on the road without a licence?

Your friend will have to wait until the 3 years are up and then apply for a new licence. If he has to re-sit test, I not sure about this, he will have to apply and wait like everyone else.

Not getting on a high horse, but you friend is a f****** gob****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Not getting on a high horse (saddles up), but you friend is a f****** gob****e.

Fixed :D (but I do agree with you)

Without trying to be funny OP, I would suggest that when the three years are up your friend should make sure to get some driving lessons to iron out all of the bad habits he has picked up over the years since his test and learn to do things how they are supposed to be done in the test and not how most people are doing them within a week of passing their tests. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

I've got no sympathy whatsoever for your friend OP. One less maniac off the road (albeit for only 3 years) makes it slightly safer for the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

deman wrote: »
    I've got no sympathy whatsoever for your friend OP. One less maniac off the road (albeit for only 3 years) makes it slightly safer for the rest of us.

I don't think anyone including the OP asked for sympathy for his friend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

But he might have only had Guinness and brandy chasers, everyone's allowed have Guinness and brandy chasers! It's those Gardaí who are wrecking the rural buzz man.

Anyway, first time I heard about that law. I thought once you got a full license in Ireland, you had it for life (barring endorsement periods), no matter how much of a muppet you were. I've heard of people having to resit tests in other countries, but never here.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

And now the limit is going to be lowered and about time as I often drive at night and see some blokes pissed all over the road and yes I do ring in. How many people have seen cars in ditches and on rounabouts on a Sunday morning after some plonker has stuffed his/her car while drunk. The sooner its is lowered to a level that one drink puts you over the better

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

3 Years? He must have been seriously over the limit, unless it is his 2nd offence. Anybody who gets behind the wheel of a car drunk and a fair bit over the limit, deserves 6 months in prison and a minimum of 5 years ban.

Anyways, dependant on the sentence handed down by the judge, he may have to resit his exam. It depends whether it was a licence suspension or a total removal of driving rights. I have heard this from 2 or 3 people. I dont have an actual source but this is AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

3 year is what you get on your first conviction in court if you are at the highest alcohol level reading range it ranges from 1year to 2 year to 3yrs and if you refuse or fail to give a sample its 4 years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    I have a friend (not me!) who was banned from driving for 3 years for drink driving. I assume he will have to surrender his driving licence. fair enough!

I think by re-sit they mean, get a license again from scratch by getting a provisional (and filling out that bit about previous convictions, etc., ) again and so on.

The license he had wasn't "suspended" - it was cancelled? And he is allowed attempt get another license after 3 years?

I think that's how it works, but I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Basically, it doesn't lead to a criminal conviction as it does in the UK, although the penalties are stiff.

Disqualification from driving is for a mandatory period of 2 or 3 years for the first offence (depending on alcohol levels). These can only be appealed after half that time, minimum.

The disqualified person is required to surrender his Irish licence to the court, who forwards it to the motor tax office. After 3 years the licence is endorced.

As for re-sitting the driving test, it seems to be an urban legend as it is not mentioned anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

NBar wrote: »
    And now the limit is going to be lowered and about time as I often drive at night and see some blokes pissed all over the road and yes I do ring in. How many people have seen cars in ditches and on rounabouts on a Sunday morning after some plonker has stuffed his/her car while drunk. The sooner its is lowered to a level that one drink puts you over the better

Sorry for ruining the subtle joke if that is what it is, but in case you aren't being ironic, I have to ask do you really think that these pissed blokes all over the road were still under the 80mg limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Regarding an endorced license, does this stay endorced forever?
    Seems a little harsh if they are still being punished for it say 10 years later (if they have learned their lesson and not gotten banned again).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Longfield wrote: »
    Seems a little harsh if they are still being punished for it say 10 years later (if they have learned their lesson and not gotten banned again).
    Endorsements are for 3 years, a disqualified driver's licence is endorced AFTER the period of the ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Longfield wrote: »

Seems a little harsh to be still dead 3 years after being killed by a drunk driver.
    Shouldnt you be brought back to life after he/she has learned his lesson?

He got the maximum of 3 years as a punishment for a good reason, and not for a few drinks, the endorsement is a little reminder, just like a broken back isnt.
    Should be put to work in the National rehab centre for 10 years.

Advertisement