Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are the bars on campus members-only?

• 25-10-2007 12:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭

Always wondered this, remembered it again because I saw Java's have signs up saying it's a members-only premises.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ixus

Could be an insurance thing, similar to GAA clubs.

If you're a member, the clubs insurance covers any laibilities.
    If you're not, and not signed in, the club is liable.

Not 100% on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Its because they don't have licenses to operate as pubs as such. They have some sort of club license that allows them to serve to members and their guests only (hence the title "The Stables Club"). This works on a principle similar to golf clubs, rugby clubs etc.

Ursula Stokes famously got the bars shut down years ago because they weren't checking IDs or signing people in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

What he said...

Technically you cant have a pub there in campus but you can have a club where its possible to serve drinks to members as long as they abide by the rules of the club..

Hence when you get barred from that club, you also get barred from any of the other bars on campus.

The clubs memebership is current students, alumni and staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I hear you can "sign in" non-members if you're going in with them, but I've never seen any method of doing this being available.

Ask for the sign in book..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I hear you can "sign in" non-members if you're going in with them, but I've never seen any method of doing this being available.
    At the big events like Xmas Daze, Gigs etc. there is a guy on the door with the sign in book. Other than that you have to ask for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

There's a book behind the bar I think it's kept in a holder on the wall near one of the tills you need to ask for it.

Cheers
    Rory

Usually if you bring people into the bar that are not members, its your responsibility to sign them in

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

The book used to be at the door a few years back. A friend of mine got a job, at the scholars, getting people to sign in. he would do it for an hour then go over to his friends and start drinking:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Ginger wrote:
    Technically you cant have a pub there in campus but you can have a club where its possible to serve drinks to members as long as they abide by the rules of the club..
    Well, you technically can but the number of hoops that would have to be jumped through (as well as the cost of acquiring a 'proper' licence) mean that it's far easier (and more possible) to have on-campus pubs operated as clubs. In the end it makes little difference to the people drinking there and very little difference to the operators given that their clientele would be members anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement