Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixing badly hung internal doors

Options
  • 25-10-2007 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I had some internal doors hung that have difficulty closing and are generally just not very well hung. (har har)

It looks like the hinges were recessed to far and so to close the door the hinges are being "over-closed".
    Anyone have any cool ways of fixing this?
    I basically need to build out the recess but Im not sure with what. I think its too shallow and uneven for wood, could I use some of that plastic wood stuff maybe?

cheers for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭the hunter

try using folded cardboard (cereal boxes) if you dont need to come out to far ???

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

As the poster above said, use some cardboard as a spacer, put it into the recess behind the hinges.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Hmm, I never thought of that.
    In some places I need to make up 3mm but I guess cardboard can handle that.
    I will give it a go, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yep - every fecking door in my house has coloured bits of cardboard on nearly every hinge!
    And they were installed by tradesmen!

I had to fix one door recently and I had to use 3 or 4mm of fiberboard fitted behind the hinge! That's bad!

Advertisement