Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Certified Architect Programs

Options
  • 25-10-2007 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Just came across this yesterday, definetly worth striving for although the requirements might seem a little off putting..

The Microsoft Certified Architect (MCA) programs identify top industry experts in IT architecture. Microsoft Certified Architects have proven experience with delivering solutions and can communicate effectively with business, architecture, and technology professionals. These professionals have three or more years of advanced IT architecture experience; possess strong technical and leadership skills; and form a tight-knit, supportive community. Candidates are required to pass a rigorous Review Board interview conducted by a panel of experts. The MCA credential was built by and for industry architects.

"Setting standards is important, especially if those standards are high enough to create an assurance that someone is capable of performing the high-quality job that you count on. Apart from individual achievement, a program like this is great for customers because you know that when you work with one of the elite, you truly are working with one of the best."

Tony Redmond, Vice President and Chief Technology Officer for HP Services, Hewlett Packard

Anyone know this chap? The only MCA in Ireland.

Daragh Morrissey is a senior technology consultant in the HP Services Enterprise Microsoft Practice. His main focus is designing and deploying enterprise infrastructures for some of HP's biggest customers. He has worked for HP since 1993 and has worked with various technologies (including media streaming, mobility, Microsoft Exchange, and Active Directory). Daragh is a regular contributor to Windows IT Pro magazine. He graduated with a Bachelor of Science Honours Degree from the University of Ulster in Jordanstown, Northern Ireland, in 1993.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Its 10,000USD and there are two different types.. Technology based (Database & Messaging) and Broad Architecture based (Solutions & Infrstructure)

The tech ones (codenamed Ranger) are 6 weeks training with exams weekly and a final presentation to a panel of 4 people usually MCAs or industry reps

The architecture ones are based on a submission and a two hour presentation/interview that demonstrates the competencies (all 7)

I was looking at the MCA Databases one.. but i think i wouldnt have the requisite experience just yet

There was talk of a third tier set of MS exams that bridge the gap between MCITP/MCPD and MCA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Yeah I had a look at the MCA webcast its fairly high level stuff. You also have to do four/five weeks training at a cost of US$25,000 per individual, this doesn't cover your travel/Accomodation/living costs.

Some interesting things though were that its isn't just MS Techs you have to be updated on all other Techs in the industry, infact out of the seven main competencies Tech knowledge was last.

Out of the last 10 people that took the course, all of them failed... and if you fail then the board decides that you can either take the course again if you were close or they can decide your way out of your league and stop you from attending the course for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Thats why i am looking at it from afar at the moment.

For the Database one I need to get the DB Dev cert, but if i was serious about it i would also have the BI one too. I dont know about the ins and outs of the storage engine just yet. When I do, I will look at the cert a bit more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Yeah I would love to go for it but I don't have the Exp either, in a couple of years maybe if I get into some complex or enterprise level designs.

Something I would love to do though in the long run.

Short term plan I'll continue plugging away at the misc other certs. Just starting on Exchange 07 this weekend.. should be fun :rolleyes:

Advertisement