Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New scooter Owner

• 25-10-2007 10:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭

Hiya,

Just bought a Vespa PX200 and am dying to take it (or I do say her?) out on Sat morning for my first spin. I bought it for €1250, 01D and in great nick, 30k done. I just rang Quinn there and they quoted me €1288 fully comp - that's nuts! I'm only going to collect my provisional today but still......I thought she'd give me a discount since I have my car insurance with them and on a full. She didn't budge, I'll shop around but was still shocked with the quote.

Anyway, what's the waiting time on doing a bike test? I'd like to do the test asap.

So what do people wear on bikes? I know Vespa drivers tend to be different to bike owners. I'm after a jacket that is obviously waterproof but one that I can wear round town when I drive in. Something with protection also, do these exist or do you have to sacrifice fashion for safety. I also will be driving to work so would prefer.........I think you get the point.

One more thing - where's the best place to get those lock stands that you insert into your driveway to lock your bike to. Unfortunately don't have side entrance.

Nice Wan,
    David...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Congrats on the purchase. I have a PX200 myself. Try getting a 3rd party quote - a lot of people (I know) don't bother with fully comp on a bike.

As for the clothing - safety is safety really. Just get an XL parka to go over your padded jacket!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Thanks. I got a third party, fire and theft quote of €1,092.

Still need to ring the other places first for a comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Uncle Rico

Single most important thing (especially coming into the Winter months) is a decent pair of gloves! The first time you forget them will be your last 'cos you;ll never want to go through the pain again! :eek: Also, be careful on the wet or slightly frosty mornings. Braking on two tyres is a lot trickier than four and on the wetter type mornings your back wheel tends to skid.

Best way to beat the traffic! Good luck with the new bike!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭colsku

Good man!

I will soon be joining the PX200 club myself and share your problems...

I'm defo going for only 3rd Party.

I'm sick to my stomach of the bus, and how it's ruining my life! The Vespa will give me two hours back, even by driving conservatively through the traffic.

I have a large wooly style jacket which is pretty stylish, but hasn't got any safety features or waterproofing. I'm working in a bank so will need to be wearing a suit. Sh1t!

Do you lads know if you get sweaty on a bike? Will I be alright with a suit on underneath all the motorbike gear?

Decent gloves are a must alright!

What about those "p1ss pot" helmets, with the open face? I reckon your face would be freezing in the winter with one of those on...

My 'hood ain't the safest so fire and theft is a must. I'm going to fgo or that. I applied for the test already even though I haven't been on the bike yet. The turnaround is about 6 weeks in Dublin from what I've heard. I better get cracking.

I'm going to get a full face helmet and then next spring get an open face one.

I've seen some deadly jackets on the web but I can't wait for delivery. Let's hope my Saturday travels will pick up some nice gear. Get safety incorporated into your jacket. You know it makes sense...

You still looking for a px200 or have you picked one up yet? I know of one going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Also take note of the new provisional bikers requirements - so you don't get any penalty points:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055171902

You'll need a Hi-viz vest with an L sticker on the back and on the torso, so I'm afraid fashion is out!

Was up at the crack of dawn this morning taking my first spin on my Vespa, wow........such a buzz.............nice sunny morning and all. I'm just posting this as I have to tell someone, everyone else is still asleep..........I'm hooked :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭colsku

Did you get any gear for it yet? What websites are good for jackets etc...

Good man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭Kat1170

If you are looking for cheap gear get yourself over to the NEC bike show in Birmingham. Runs from 22nd Nov to 2nd Dec. Should be able to get a same day return flight for less than €50 with Ryanair. Lots, and I mean Lots of bargins to be had. Also unbeliveable choice of styles compared to here. There is a free bus from airport to show and back again. Makes the bike show in the RDS/Belfast look like a car boot sale.

Advertisement