Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bolton's new manager..

• 25-10-2007 10:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

....looks to be announced today as being Gary Megson :eek: I mean WTF?
    If I was a Bolton fan I would be asking WHY :confused:

I think Gartside has just rubberstamped Bolton's drop into the championship for next season.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Megson ain't that bad a manager imo, not all that great though either. His credentials are as good as Big Sams were, or better.

However, Megson must be a bit of a jerk - hadn't he only been a leicster or however its spelt a couple of weeks or so as it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Tauren wrote: »
    Megson ain't that bad a manager imo, not all that great though either. His credentials are as good as Big Sams were, or better.

However, Megson must be a bit of a jerk - hadn't he only been a leicster or however its spelt a couple of weeks or so as it is

Sam's pedigree was the consistent performance of his team in the league and their impressive league placings, in fairness he didnt have much behind him before that.

Megson:

Norwich : "Let go"
    Stockport; "Let Go"
    Stoke: "Let go"
    West Brom: Relegated in their 1st season in the PL. "Mutual Consent"
    Notts Forest: Relegated to League 1. Resigned.
    Leicester: There 6 weeks and wants to leave after being approached by Bolton.

Stay tuned for the next installment ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Megson for Ireland.

DesF wrote: »
    Megson for Ireland.

He has too much experience for the role ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Sizzler wrote: »
    ....looks to be announced today as being Gary Megson :eek: I mean WTF?
    If I was a Bolton fan I would be asking WHY :confused:

I think Gartside has just rubberstamped Bolton's drop into the championship for next season.

IF Sammy Lee had have been left in charge probably would have happened but maybe Megson has a chance at keeping them up

• Advertisement

kearnsr wrote: »
    IF Sammy Lee had have been left in charge probably would have happened but maybe Megson has a chance at keeping them up

Get down the bookies so my friend, you could win a few quid if you believe that ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Sizzler wrote: »
    Get down the bookies so my friend, you could win a few quid if you believe that ;)

I woud if I actually bet but I dont!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

As a Forst fan I can only say, poor, poor Bolton. Hopefully we'll be promoted to see you in the Championship next season

Megson is an awful manager, good at organising defences and his skills end there. He alienates players as much as Souness but has had nothing like the success.

Bets on Bolton for relegation will be stopped by the bookies very soon.

Bolton Wanderers will launch a major PR offensive today to win over the fans who need some convincing that Gary Megson is the right choice of manager.

There was anger in the air with cries of 'sack the board' from kick-off in their UEFA Cup tie last night and personal abuse against chairman Phil Gartside, the first time he has taken real stick in his seven year Reebok reign.

And perhaps most cuttingly there was a chant of 'Who the **** is Gary Megson?' as a noisy but significant majority carried on the protest against the new man.

Megson had stopped to speak to some agitators outside the ground before the game, but he was not even introduced to the crowd before the game to avoid possible embarrassment.

Advertisement
    The new man sat at the back of the bench, watching his team for the first time while Archie Knox took charge on the touchline and watched his side struggle. Behind the scenes Gartside had a summit meeting with both skipper Kevin Nolan and striker Kevin Davies and the pair will come out in public support of the new boss.

Gartside is eager to put out a united front on his surprise appointment - first revealed by Mirror Sport last Thursday - and he knows that Megson also has to bring the dressing room onside.

Nolan has had a bumpy ride this season since Sammy Lee took over from his mentor Sam Allardyce, while stalwart Davies is a key ally for the times ahead. Megson's style has seen him cross swords with players and chairmen in the past. His relationship with some of the high-maintainence men like Nicolas Anelka and El-Hadji Diouf will have to be watched.

Bolton are also considering hiring a PR firm, with Megson in favour of that idea after bringing in a company to help him in his brief time in charge at Leicester City.

Gartside has come under heavy criticism from fans and also had accusations thrown at him that he favoured Megson in the race for the job because of their close links to mutual friend and agent Mark Curtis.

However the Bolton chairman revealed yesterday that he had been after Megson for years inviting him to Bolton games when he was both in and out of work - and that he won a legitimate battle for the post.

Gartside said: "We feel Gary is the right man to take Bolton forward. We have been able to interview a number of quality candidates and after due consideration decided to offer the post to him. He has the right temperament for a battle, which this season is undoubtedly going to be. I have paid particular attention to his career and he has demonstrated to me he is prepared to roll his sleeves up. It is not about me, Gary Megson or any other individual. It is all about Bolton surviving in the Premier League."

Cynics are already suggesting that Megson's good record at Championship level may come in handy as rock-bottom Bolton face a major survival struggle and could end up going down.

Gartside is leaving Megson to name his own backroom staff, but the chairman is keen for veteran Archie Knox to stay on after being impressed by his straight talking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Megson is a strange choice, he was jobless for about 18 months, but was doing unpaid coaching for his mate Tony Pulis, next thing he lands the Leicester job, and 6 weeks later he's giving a premiership job. :confused:

Rubbish manager imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Bolton will be relegated now, Megson made a right balls of Norwich when he was there. A little bit off topic but Staunton is interested in the Norwich job apparently with Dion Dublin as his Assistant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

what an awful appointment by Bolton :eek: i think they have put the final nail in the coffin for this season by themselves. Paul Jewell has THE man for them

Megson seems a nice guy, but well, his managerial record lately has been poor to say the least

hope he proves me wrong but i cant see it happening, i'd feel confident now throwing a score on Bolton going down

Advertisement