Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Muppets on Horses

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

charlo_b wrote: »
    This morning I was driving to work the usual route cross country, when I see in the distance a group of around 10-15 people taking a morning ride on their horses.

WTF are horses doing out in the countryside, damn those locals, they should keep their horses at home in their kennels :rolleyes:
    The person at the front of the pack did the hand waving thing for me to slow down....so I go from probably 80-90km to 40-50km as I know you are supposed to follow the directions of people in charge of animals.

So you drove 40-50kph past a group of animals that weigh several tons, thats very intelligent.
    However, as I got to the front of the pack, some eegit in the middle of the pack brings his horse out in front of me, forcing me to jam on the brakes, as he wasn't happy that I was going slow enough.

Again see above.
    What do you guys think of these muppets that have to take their horses for walkies on the public highways!

Care to show us where it states that horses cannot use "public highways". LOL at "public highways". I agree that there was one muppet in the above story but he wasn't the one on the horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

At the end of the day 25mph is not fast..the idiot on the horse who moved out in front of you was more likely to cause an accident than you were. If you had to suddenly brake or swerve to avoid him it could have spooked the rest of the horses and caused a nasty accident.
    You should have reported him or stopped and gave him a piece of your mind.
    It's knobs like this that cause accidents. The fact of whether he is on a horse/car/truck is irrevelant. The fact is, he is acting irresponsible on a road which isn't the safest place to be doing such a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Great post carpainter...

Far too many boy-racers thinkin they're in Talledega Nights knockin about the place tryin to compensate for God-knows-what...

What are the chances "charlo_b" is a boy racer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Here's the simple truth of it all-

If you'd hit the horse and if you'd been lucky enough to have lived through it (the second "if" is a big "IF"), not only would you have wrecked your car, but you'd probably be found to be at fault and quite possibly have a manslaughter charge hanging over your head.

Common sense tells any normal person to slow down to a proper speed, don't blow horns and don't flash lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Animal traffic
    Always slow down and be prepared to stop when approaching or overtaking animals. If a person in charge of animals gives a signal to slow down or stop, you must obey it. Avoid using your horn if animals are in front of you, as it might frighten them.

From the ROTR:
    Source: http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/respect.html#4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

At the end of the day 25mph is not fast..the idiot on the horse who moved out in front of you was more likely to cause an accident than you were. If you had to suddenly brake or swerve to avoid him it could have spooked the rest of the horses and caused a nasty accident.
    You should have reported him or stopped and gave him a piece of your mind.
    It's knobs like this that cause accidents. The fact of whether he is on a horse/car/truck is irrevelant. The fact is, he is acting irresponsible on a road which isn't the safest place to be doing such a thing.

You seem to be contradicting yourself here. If 25mph is not fast, then you wouldn't need to brake suddenly or swerve.

The fastest humans can run at 25mph, this is over 100m in 10secs, its quick enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

High&Low wrote: »
    You seem to be contradicting yourself here. If 25mph is not fast, then you wouldn't need to brake suddenly or swerve.

The fastest humans can run at 25mph, this is over 100m in 10secs, its quick enough...

I'm talking about car speed not a human. Besides how many people would slow down to 25mph passing out a pedestrian on a country road?
    Only if there was an oncoming car as well would you slow down to this speed.
    And regardless of how fast or slow you go you still need to slow down or swerve to avoid bumping into things, how many times do you see people walking in towns slow down or swerve to avoid bumping into each other???:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭charlo_b

I've travelled this road 100's of times and never before have I come across people out on their horses.

I don't live in the area but I do live in the country myself and come across people on horses all the time. So it aint like I don't know the drill when coming across people with animals.

My problem is with this guy who pulled his horse out in front of me....once he did it he stared me down with a kinda of "I'll show him who's boss" smug look on his face....you know the type.

In my opinion I was going slow enough for the circumstances, and no I'm not a boy racer......haven;t got enough money what with a mortgage and a wife!

DonJose: I don't see what the connection between my log in name and Boy Racing is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

I'm talking about car speed not a human. Besides how many people would slow down to 25mph passing out a pedestrian on a country road?

Pedestrian NOT EQUAL to an unpredictable beast weighing a tonne.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Majority of what? You are not the majority Mate...

Going 30-40kph past a horse on a road is very dangerous for all concerned - yourself included...

the majority of road users would be motorists not people on horses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I don't see what the connection between my log in name and Boy Racing is?

I think that some people feel that if they can knock the OP or some contributors of a thread enough, it justifies them getting on their high horses and whipping all those around them. :eek: They only care about giving out to others, as they themselves can do no wrong.

There; someone had to make that comment eventually!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

uberpixie wrote: »

Pedestrians are often a lot more unpredictable than animals! And some drivers are worse!! And horsey folk are worse again!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Where did this happen.I was behind one of these races on the M50,Yes M50 2 weeks ago so i rang the police and nothing was done :(

The guards werent fast enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

drdre wrote: »
    Where did this happen.I was behind one of these races on the M50,Yes M50 2 weeks ago so i rang the police and nothing was done :(

Holy Jesus... Read through the posts again Doc...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

What? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Horse Racing on the M50 now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

uberpixie wrote: »

You haven't seen some of the pedestrians around my way....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

deman wrote: »
    Horse Racing on the M50 now?

Well some "people" had trotting races on the N3 by Blanch earlier on in the year. They slowed up traffic with hiaces etc to block the cars behind on Sunday morning and then started the racing. Apparently there's big money bet on the races.

It was on the front page of the Sunday World. I can't remember when though.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Shhhh. dont mention High-Horses, then everyone will have to slow down :p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Lots of asses posting on this thread! :eek:

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
Advertisement