Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trade in Value vs New Corolla

Options
  • 25-10-2007 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Just a very quick one for yee this time lads.

My Dad is trading in his 05 Opel Astra Club 1.4 5 door with 45k miles on it against a new 08 Corolla 1.4 luna spec. He's been quoted 12 for his own and a further 12.5 to change but has been told it'll be late April before he gets the new car... is there that much demand on new Corolla's or maybe thats not a very long lead time? Is 24.5k the price of a new luna corolla with Metalic paint and a tow bar after delivery etc? And just one more is 12k a good/bad trade in value? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

patward2 wrote: »
    Just a very quick one for yee this time lads.

My Dad is trading in his 05 Opel Astra Club 1.4 5 door with 45k miles on it against a new 08 Corolla 1.4 luna spec. He's been quoted 12 for his own and a further 12.5 to change but has been told it'll be late April before he gets the new car... is there that much demand on new Corolla's or maybe thats not a very long lead time? Is 24.5k the price of a new luna corolla with Metalic paint and a tow bar after delivery etc? And just one more is 12k a good/bad trade in value? Thanks.

€12k sounds like a poor trade-in allowance to me for a 05 Astra. Dealers are asking more than that for 04 Astras.

Shop around to compare. Also be prepared to travel a little to get a better deal. You don't have to service the car or have warranty issues fixed at the same garage where you bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There are very few Corollas coming in December and January. Also Luna is only made in small numbers. Dealers will be holding out for zero-risk straight deals methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

colm_mcm wrote: »
    There are very few Corollas coming in December and January. Also Luna is only made in small numbers. Dealers will be holding out for zero-risk straight deals methinks.

Why is that, didn't you say before that Irish people expect their Corollas and Aurises to have aircon as standard(well if it wasn't you I apologise but someone said it on Motors)?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Slightly OT, but is there an easier way to get the current trade value on a car besides trying/ringing around various garages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

He should make sure he has a decent drive in the 1.4 petrol, it's majorly underpowered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

junkyard wrote: »
    He should make sure he has a decent drive in the 1.4 petrol, it's majorly underpowered.

The Corolla is heavier than the current Avensis and bigger than the old Avensis, it really needs to be diesel(the Avensis is widely regarded to struggle in a 1.6).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Slightly OT, but is there an easier way to get the current trade value on a car besides trying/ringing around various garages?

Carzone.ie can be a good enough guide but I'd be inclined to hover about 3/4 way down the page for actual values.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

junkyard wrote: »
    Carzone.ie can be a good enough guide but I'd be inclined to hover about 3/4 way down the page for actual values.;)
    Well doing that then would make my current 02 1.9TDI 130Bhp Auto Passat with 105k on the clock worth about 11-14k. That sound about right?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Carzone prices tend to be over inflated asking prices and very rarely match the actual selling price of the car. Trade-in value will be even less and will vary from garage to garage plus it will depend on what car you are trading in against.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The VRT calculator on www.revenue.ie isn't a bad spot for getting a true indication of a value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Weaselator

Thanks for all the replys lads. Yeh will defo get him to shop around and take it for a proper test drive.

The VRT clac put the value at €13,393, but could you realistically expect that on a trade in?
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    So there is a shortage and end of April would be a realistic lead time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Against a full list price 08 car? I think €13k is acheivable as a trade in value.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Who wants an Astra in April? It's not worth as much as it would be in January.

Advertisement