Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everglades Racer Snake (Green) Care...?

• 25-10-2007 11:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭

Good morning all,

We recently acquired a pair of beautiful green Everglades Racers, and I'm wondering if anyone here has any previous experience with their care or can point me in the right direction, as we are running blind with them at the moment!

Many thanks,

Milca.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

It is better to do research before buying an animal, not after.

I checked on Google for info and there doesn't seem to be much. Maybe you could find a book about them on Amazon or a similar site? They have plenty of books on snakes but no specific racer snake books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭Dutchology

I'm aware of that, thank you, however as I said, they were "acquired" not bought... They're doing just fine at the moment, but in the long term I would like to know more about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Dutchology,

This seems to happen very often, someone comes on for advice and certain people take a "better-than-you" attitude.

Have you tried pet shops? They may be able to give you advice on them? Or maybe if you googled reptile farms and rang them for advise?

I assume you know the basics to keep them alive for long enough to get expert advice? :)

Thank you for your response Helena. The rescue centre they were picked up from doesn't know anything about them, and didn't know what they were either, hence the questions...

I hadn't thought of the reptile farms actually, and that brings to mind a breeder I know who might have some info, thank you!

We do indeed know the basics, and I have found out where they're from originally, and their basic dietary habits through google, so I can keep them going for now with regards to climate and feeding...

Unfortunately my crystal ball has been out of order for a while so I could not tell that the OP had got his snakes from a rescue, apologies for trying to help him out anyway. There are often people on here who buy animals and then post because they have no idea how to look after it. Maybe some posters have not been on these boards long enough to have seen such posts, but attack me anyway.

Telling someone it is better to research an animal before getting it, and not after, is not having a "better-than-you" attitide, it is common sense, regardless if whether the animal is being bought or rescued.

• Advertisement

Ok, ok... Let's calm down. I can well believe that there are such people who will buy animals and then try to find out post-purchase how to take care of them, and this is something I find quite disgraceful. I should have made it clear initially how we got the snakes, my apologies for not having said that initially.

In any case, the point now is to find out more about these creatures so that they can be given the best care possible...

Nala,

Please accept my genuine apologies, I am not long here, that is true and i am merely basing my opinion on the thread I have been following (ie the NAID one). If I have the wrong impression of you then I am genuinely sorry but all I can do is base on what I have read. You have very strong opinions on animals, all of which I agree on. Honestly! I do my thing for animals and animal charities (small locally run ones) and have very strong feelings on the matter myself. Only thing is, as a new user, I would be seriously put off asking advice on the animal forum because you seem to put people down all the time. Again I apologise for any offence.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

The care of Racers is similar to the care of ratsnakes.Google ratsnake or "north american snake" care sheets and you`ll find plenty of info on their care.

Lovely looking snake by the way.

http://www.herper.com/snakearticles/racers.html

Hope this helps.

I don't put people down all the time, I really don't, it's just I live in a country that puts dogs down all the time while people are still buying purebred puppies- and often funding the puppy farms in the process- and that gets to me because most of us won't use a purebred dog for the purpose it was bred for, so all the more reason for us to adopt mixed breeds. It's just there is thousands going to breeders when the shelters are really in need. A Siberian Husky can cost up to €1000, how many people who buy them are going to use them for sledding? Why not save your money (maybe donate some of it to an animal charity) and rescue a dog? Most of us are only looking for a pet. Anyway that is off topic as this thread is about snakes but I hope it gives some insight into why the other thread got me a bit rattled.

Anyway apologies accepted.

There is a reptile zoo down in Kilkenny that were at the Pet Expo recently, they are very nice and really know their stuff. They might be able to help.

http://www.reptilevillage.net/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Nala wrote: »
    Unfortunately my crystal ball has been out of order for a while so I could not tell that the OP had got his snakes from a rescue, apologies for trying to help him out anyway. There are often people on here who buy animals and then post because they have no idea how to look after it. Maybe some posters have not been on these boards long enough to have seen such posts, but attack me anyway.

Telling someone it is better to research an animal before getting it, and not after, is not having a "better-than-you" attitide, it is common sense, regardless if whether the animal is being bought or rescued.
    Nala wrote: »
    I don't put people down all the time, I really don't, it's just I live in a country that puts dogs down all the time while people are still buying purebred puppies- and often funding the puppy farms in the process- and that gets to me because most of us won't use a purebred dog for the purpose it was bred for, so all the more reason for us to adopt mixed breeds. It's just there is thousands going to breeders when the shelters are really in need. A Siberian Husky can cost up to €1000, how many people who buy them are going to use them for sledding? Why not save your money (maybe donate some of it to an animal charity) and rescue a dog? Most of us are only looking for a pet. Anyway that is off topic as this thread is about snakes but I hope it gives some insight into why the other thread got me a bit rattled.

Anyway apologies accepted.

There is a reptile zoo down in Kilkenny that were at the Pet Expo recently, they are very nice and really know their stuff. They might be able to help.

http://www.reptilevillage.net/

Nala I have to say that lately you have snapped & bitten the heads off of a few people! I am getting sick of it & of the pm's & reported posts! Please in future count to 10 before you type anything which is what I am doing NOW

Not everyone thinks before they buy but if they are willing to learn please only respond if you know the answer or can point them in the right direction - the same with people wanting to buy dogs if I see one more post saying "get a rescue dog don't spend money buying one" (paraphrasing you now) I am going to scream! Yes rescuing dogs is good - if someone asks for a puppy lab you can say if you check with rescues you may find a puppy & save yourself some money & save a dogs life but NO NASTINESS!

Lets all remember that there are faces & feelings attached to these words! Nasty jibes can & do hurt posters so lets be nice & respectful of each other! We all have & want different pets - respect that!

Thank you!

• Advertisement

OP I will have a look in my books & will post any info I find - not a species I keep myself. Good luck with the snakes tho - any chance of some photos.

Many thanks Hellrazer and Bond-007. I will try to get some photos posted today.

It would appear also that both of the snakes are suffering from a respiratory infection, so we are quite anxious at the moment. Due to their nature, re-homing and illness, we have not handled them since they arrived home with us, but they seem to be improving in health a little...

dsc00783ym9.th.jpg

dsc00780ox7.th.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

Beautiful animals.

What are their temperaments like? I've heard that black racers have been known to chase people that come across them

They look like rough green tree snakes to me :D Well they look like my guy anyway.

Hope they get better tho - sick animals are heartbreaking!

hey how are they now??

One of them seems to have improved a little, though the other is going downhill slowly, mouth agape and head raised struggling to breathe. We are still quite worried about them, but hope to see an improvement in both soon...

They spent most of yesterday watching us clean, handle and feed the hatchling cornsnakes, and the two Burmese Pythons, and seemed quite interested in our activities, which is a good sign...

Thank you for asking :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 reptileguy16

the best thing for a respiratory infection is the vet. try this, put them in a smaller viv and keep humidity low and minimum ventilation. keep the temperature high. and feed them as usual. if things dont look better then bring them to the vet. hope your not skittish these snakes have a tendency to be very aggressive. they require high humidity and lots of plants and caves. a big water bowl is also a must as they like to soak. hope they get better.

As it turns out (for anyone who is interested) they are actually Red Tailed Green Racers (A breed of Rat Snake)...

We have tried everything we can think of to get the particularly sick snake to eat... No joy... Any ideas?

The other has gone into a shed cycle and has been in hiding for a few days...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

When did it last feed??You sure its not in a shed cycle like the other one??

What was it eating??Have you tried scenting a mouse with lizard(rub the mouse off a lizard)??
    Try different types/colours of mice...rat pups etc etc.

If all that fails its force feeding time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

Yeah, if one is steadily going downhill then the best thing is to take it to a reptile vet. Bairbre O'Malley in Bray and John Bainbridge deal with exotics

Many thanks to everyone for their input.

Here's the latest update - the other snake is in the process of shedding, slowly and is no longer showing any signs of a respiratory infection. We are quite sure that she (the sick racer) is not in a shed cycle. Neither of them had eaten for quite some time (no idea how long) before we got them. We had been researching vets, and Bray was not an option at the time, however I contacted my local vet/friend who decided to take a look at the sick snake as a favour. I had done some research on various antibiotics and treatments used on colubrids for respiratory infections and Baytril was the name coming up.

Conor (vet) gave her an injection when we brought her to him on Friday, and we subsequently decided to take to force feeding her, which she is handling quite well. She seems to have become more used to handling, as when we brought her back for a check up yesterday and to collect the Baytril (oral) she didn't attempt to bite once between the tank-bag-vet-bag-feeding-tank experience, and readily accepted the syringe full of yummy liquified fluffs.

Her skin and temper have improved, she is much more active now, and she no longer sits in the tank with her mouth open, bubbling and drooling. Fingers crossed that her once a day oral dose of baytril for the next week will wipe out the infection and give her a new lease on life!

:)

Advertisement